“Great fresh fish, nice Greek wine and coffee.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melanthios Greek Char House

Melanthios Greek Char House
3116 N Broadway St, Chicago, IL 60657-4523 (Lakeview)
773-360-8572
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Lakeview
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great fresh fish, nice Greek wine and coffee.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

John was friendly and helpful, making good recommendations based on what I told him. The lavraki was good and the vegetables went well and were very Greek in preparation. The coffee brought back fond memories of Greece. Atmosphere good and not too noisy so you can have a conversation.
Worth a try if you want Greek for a change.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“my favorite Greek restaurant ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Even better than Greektown. Service was wonderful both times we went. Loved the Reisling, one of my favorites ever (is it weird to get Reisling in a Greek Restaurant? Oh well, it was delicious). Kabobs are a ton of food. The briami sidedish is so good I want to eat it everyday. I'm not kidding, I really want the recipe. It's not cheap, but given that you are really getting two meals out of it (take half home, you might still be stuffed), it is a pretty good deal. I love the decor as well.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Awesome Authentic Greek Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This place is great...from the food to the atmosphere to the service, it will not disappoint. Spiro our waiter was very friendly and full of smiles. They have an open kitchen that you can see from the dining room. They also have a parking lot right next door to them which is convenient, make sure you tell the attendant you are eating at the restaurant. Upon seating you get a nice basket of warm bread to dip in olive oil that is on the table. The skordalia is incredible, it is a potato puree with roasted garlic. The horiatiki salata also known as a village salad was great. So fresh and the greek dressing was really good. The servings are large. If you are in Chicago and in the mood for greek food, this is your place. I will definitely return.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hinsdale, Illinois
“GREAT GREEK FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This restaurant got great reviews on Check Please and I have been wanting to go there. Four of us went on a Sunday evening. I had the roast leg of lamb special and it was delicious and moist.
We also tried the European gyros and again it was delicious. The warm bread is warm and wonderful and refills. We loved the decor and our waiter gave us great service and was funny. He suggested a desert for me and it was a winner. You don't have to go to Greek town to have a great Greek dinner.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“BAD service and way over priced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

REALLY poor service,overpriced, but food was good. Our waiter, a gentleman I would guess in his late 40s, dark,thinning hair, Ricky may have been his name,?was perhaps one of the most disinterested waiters I have come across in years... He was not rude at all, just seemed horribly bored by it all and just not to care...Truly did not seem to give a rats behind about service. He must be related to someone that owns the place because he would certainly not be on my staff....

Food was ok, albeit it on the expensive side. $10 for a glass of greek white wine, really? $14 for a gyro plate that was not much better than one can get just about anywhere else for $5? Very disappointed.... although I will say the calamari was great, the olive oil/bread were top rate... but I doubt we would return with so many other options available.

• Visited September 2012