“Great ambiance & food!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Davanti Enoteca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #263 of 8,392 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Loomis St. and Taylor St.
“Great ambiance & food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The restaurant doesn't look like much from the outside, but step inside the doors and you are welcomed into an energetic, warm, inviting space. The ambiance is fantastic for groups of friends or a date. The food is served "family style", great for sharing as it arrives as it's ready-not necessarily at the same time. If you want delicious, flavorful Italian food, this is a great choice.

We went on a Wednesday night and the place was packed. Highly recommend reservations so you don't have to wait (not much room to sit and wait).

Some negatives: There aren't many cabs around this area (at least on a Wednesday), which wasn't ideal for two people who live in downtown Chicago without a car. Also, it was noisy.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chicago, Illinois
“Small Portions: Terrible Service: Limited Menu”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have visited twice, once for dinner, and once for lunch. Beware. Even though there may two of you, each ordering for themselves, the restaurant will serve each item serially, assuming you wish to share them, even if you don't. Lots of pork on the menu. Limited selections. Absolutely terrible service.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food, lousy service, loud”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I arrived on a Saturday evening before 5 w/o a reservation. We were told we could have a table for only an hour or else sit in the bar. I wish we chose the bar. It felt like we were trying to break some sort of time record for eating. The menu is somewhat confusing and we asked the waiter for clarifications. He looked at us like we had 6 heads! The food was delicious--a delight to the palate but not worth the rude waiter and high noise level. Won't go back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Finalmente!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We found a true gem. Italian cuisine is not only about the food but it's the concept...keep it simple and fresh and DONT smother everything with sauce! After so many years in Italy and so many disappointing meals finally got it right. We sat at the bar of this cozy enoteca. What a nice change. No reservations, though I did hear they had started taking them... We loved everything from beginning to end. We shared 3 appetizers and an entree. Such fun and unique choices of food! The polenta was awesome and yay! Not fried! Loved the choice of ingredients for all the plates. The cauliflower steak was also delish. We even gave in and tried dessert. Gelato al pistachio was very genuine to what I remember having in Italy. Anyway we will be back again , would love to try the pasta and pizza. Do give this place a try!

• Visited January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Funky Italian in Little Italy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I headed to Davanti Enoteca with my co-workers for our annual holiday luncheon and was charmed by the rustic interior and warmth of this fun restaurant in Little Italy. This is a tapas-style Italian place, and the first time I have encountered small plates in Italian restaurant. We ordered lots of different dishes and shared them amongst ourselves. Our server was very helpful and made great suggestions. There is lots to choose from on the menu, and I was surprised to see that the menu had a glossary, but I have to admit that is came in quite handy when trying to decide on dishes. Out of all the things we ordered, the focaccia di Recco was by far my favorite, and a must try for anyone eating at Davanti. Many of the shared plates are small...maybe enough for a few people to sample, so order two of a dish if you have a larger group like we did.

The only thing I found a little off about this restaurant was the music playing in the background. Perhaps I am just not cool enough to embrace Snoop Dogg with my pasta, but it just didn't seem to fit with the overall vibe of this place. Now, I am sure that hearing the same rat pack tunes over and over again must really start to grate on the nerves of folks working in Italian restaurants, but surly there is a happy medium that offers variety but still meshes with the vibe of your restaurant.

But all in all, I had a great meal, and the service was lovely. I'd go pack in a heartbeat.

• Visited December 2012