“Awesome, awesome, awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel

You added Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   221 N. Columbus Drive, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 15%
Ranked #9 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lake Orion, Michigan
“Awesome, awesome, awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend of our 10th wedding anniversary and we will always remember our stay (takes second after our honeymoon)! We had a corner room which was very clean, quiet, and spacious, and had great views of the city, Navy Pier and the lake, and the park next to the hotel. The towels were very soft and plush and the bathroom had plenty of space to move around in. It was refreshing having the sun shining in all the windows and the darkening drapes at night. We slept great! The staff was very gracious and kind from the minute we checked in until the minute we checked out. The hotel's location was perfect, close to the city and shopping, and Millenium Park. The only complaint/suggestion I have about the room is that the "Master" lighting switch should not control all of the overhead lights at one time; it would be nice to have just a few lights on. Mariano's Fresh Market was around the corner where we could get a great lunch and pick up a few items for our room. We also ate at Filini; it wasn't bad but it didn't impress us, either. We truly enjoyed our stay and can't wait to schedule our next trip to Chicago!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you for spending such a special anniversary with us! I am thrilled that you had a great stay and that you made lifelong memories at our hotel! I have shared your comments with our team and everyone was honored to be a part of such a special trip. Thanks again; I hope that we see you again soon!

Happy Anniversary!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I came here with my girlfriend about a month ago and it was amazing. It was my second time going to chicago, so I wanted to stay somewhere really nice and this place was great. First of all the Hotel is practically brand new and the decor is hands down the best ive ever seen. our room was just the basic room and when we checked in which was two hours early, they upgraded us to a room with a balcony (I guess since our room wasnt ready yet). The room features nice, you walk in and lights turn on automatically for you. The best part about the room is the bathroom. the bathroom was so nice that anywhere I go now it's going to be a downgrade. The shower is the nicest shower i have ever seen in my life. View is good and hotel offers everything through your tv. No need to call for taxi because when you walk downstairs the taxi is already waiting for you since they have a bunch lined up 24/7. The loacation is nice too because its only a block or two from mag. mile and also close the the park and art musuem. If I ever come back to Chicago, I will be coming to the aqua blu. The staff is 5 star and you are treated like royalty. Best Vacation I ever had. Only thing that wasn't the best was parking. but no matter where you stay downtown the parking is going to be expensive so that's something I myself and other people are going to have to get used too.

Room Tip: try to taxi or walk most places because going in and out of the garage can be expensive and a pain s...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Thank you so much! I am honored that we helped make this your best vacation ever and that you had had such positive things to say about our property! I have shared your compliments with our team and everyone was thrilled to have helped create such a positive experience. We look forward to your next trip to the city! Thanks again!

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I recently stayed here for a conference (booked through Hotwire), and I fell in love with this hotel. The location, the decor, the friendliness of the staff -- even on the cold, windy days -- was noted and appreciated. Several other reviews highlight the traditional amenities, so I want to give special attention to two:

1) Filini: Go, indulge, enjoy! This is so much more than a typical hotel bar/lounge. I actually had friends meet me here for dinner one night, and none of us were disappointed -- especially me because there was no taxi required! The next night, I ordered bread pudding for a late treat and was oh, so satisfied!

2) Since I like to eat, I also have to exercise. This was the place to do it! As avid spinners, my husband and I loved the bikes offered. A few bikes were a bit quirky, but we were able to find two that worked and were comfortable for our "morning ride." There's also excellent space for weights, yoga, and we even saw a man bring his computer down and do P90X in the aerobics room. It was too cold for us to use the outdoor pool or track, but those also seem like great options.

Overall, we had a wonderful experience and will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and took the time to note our restaurant, Filini, and workout facilities! I am looking into the "quirky" bikes and apologize for any inconvenience this caused; I am gald that you were able to find some that were in proper order to enjoy your morning routine. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

This building is awesome. Our room for our three night stay was on a corner of the sixth floor. Excellent aspect with views to the Lake and Navy Pier. Easy walk to Michigan Avenue and first stop for the hop on - hop off bus tour. Some may feel that it is slighly removed from the action of the downtown area, but we appreciated the buffer.

The rooms were spacious with the actual bedroom separated by the bathroom from the study desk and entry. The bathroom design meant some water dripped from the sliding shower door in front of the toilet. This might cause excessive potential for a slip or fall.

Overall, great amenities for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments! I am happy that you enjoyed your corner room and the location of the hotel! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I hope we see you again soon!

Rochester, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Just writing this review makes me want to return! We were in town for my daughter's college interview and chose the Blu because of its location near Millenium Park and the Lakeshore/Museums. Found a great internet rate on Radisson's website that included the business class lounge, access to fitness rooms and breakfast. Geat Wi-fi access. Radisson Blu is close to Michigan Avenue but not on top of its neighbors. Wthin walking distance to the Art Museum as well as the Bean. Navy Pier a short distance away. My family also walked up to Watertower for shopping and Geno's East pizza one day. If you need a pharmacy, CVS is on the corner.

The service is personalized and excels on every level. Each staff member that met my daughter wished her well for her interview, which made her feel so special! Bob at the front door was efficient, friendly and professional always. Pay for valet parking!

This hotel is clean, clean, clean! The business lounge has good views of the park and surrouning neighborhood. The decor is modern and rooms are large, especially for downtown Chicago. We stayed on the 18th floor city view with no balcony, but the 17th floor balcony in the business lounge was plenty high up for me! My daughter and I loved the running track on the 3rd floor.

Five stars in every category, congratulations Blu!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am glad that you were able to make the most of your time in the city and that you enjoyed the hotel! I hope your daughter's interviews went well and that the city made a good impression on her too! I have also shared your comments with Bob and he was honored to have left such a positive impression on your stay. Thanks again; I hope we see you again soon!

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

This new hotel gets the essential needs of the traveller. Wonderful wavy architecture, friendly guest oriented staff and lovely amenities made our stay. We did not know about the 2 distinct room designs until after check-in, but did feel comfortable in our room. It was not plush or luxurious, but had clean modern furnishings, and a super comfortable bed. The bath was very spacious and serene. The shower was a highlight. The floors are not carpeted, as it is helps in keeping it clean, but the flooring does not feel very substantial underfoot. I'd either get rid of the two decorative pillows and end of bed accent cloth or upgrade them to something with covers that are washed or washable. Our experience with staff was very good. The concierge was helpful, knew the area and quick to give us great options for purchasing nice flowers on a Sunday night. We really appreciated being able to extend our checkout until 5 pm and make the most of our last entire day in Chicago!

• Stayed April 2012
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you for you comments! I couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your stay and the design of the rooms! It sounds like you stayed in our "Naturally Cool" room. I am glad the 5PM checkout allowed you to enjoy some extra time in the city! Thanks again; we hope to see you again soon!

ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

When I heard about this hotel opening I was really wanting to stay here even though I had no real reason to be in Chicago. I have only recently in the last year or so been introduced to the Radisson brand/Club Carlson and they have really won me over and are quickly becoming my 1st choice when needing a place to stay. And this was really due to the promotions club Carlson ran last year so if any of those people are reading this I have to say your marketing worked very well.

I needed a place to stay in the Baltic region of Europe last year and there were not many choices at the usual USA brands, Priority Club, Hilton, SPG, etc are not real well represented in that region. So that opened my eyes to the Radisson Blu brand because they were running a make 2 paid stays get one free promotion at the time. So I completed stays in Latvia and Lithuania (and sorry I need to get to reviewing these I'm very behind on trip reviews) and that earned me a free night at any property by years end. Fast forward to December and I had not used my free night yet, I saw ads for this new Chicago property and it looked so cool and having enjoyed the Rad. Blu brand so much in Europe I was excited to finally see it here. So I made a trip to Chicago honestly to just use my free night here and fulfill another promo at
another hotel for another free night later on thanks again to Club Carlson ;)

Anyways to the actual hotel, it did not disappoint at all! I think it helps a lot that the hotel is brand new, you can just tell, everything is just perfect, it just feels new, the design is fantastic, the staff was wonderful and helpful. I have stayed in downtown Chicago several times before though quite a few years ago, I don't remember what hotels, sorry, but this was by far the best experience. Because 1 problem with the other hotels was noise. Even having a higher floor room I remember hearing a lot of street noise. This hotel has a very quiet, kinda out of the way location, but not out of the way in that its far, its just like a quiet side road without any traffic. Yet its just a couple blocks, very short walk from Michigan ave and all the action there. I'm a light sleeper so that alone is huge for me.

If you need a fridge or microwave in your room you can request one, they brought up a fridge for us very quickly. There is one in the room but its full of mini bar stuff. We used the microwave in the commons area by the gym. There are wonderful facilities here I think due to the fact that part of the building is condos, so the hotel and the condos share these facilities.
There's a pool though we did not use it, there is a large business room with lots of computers, there is a room with a pool table and a poker table with chips and everything that you can use! Thought that was rather cool. Then there is a large gym and even a small basketball court, thought that was very neat. And also there is a Walgreen's next door that you can buy all kinds
of food/snacks if you wish.

So anyways very pleased with this stay and would certainly look into staying here again as long as the price was reasonable. I very much like the style of the Rad. Blu brand and really hope to see more of these hotels open up in the USA in the future! Anyone going to Europe should really look at this brand as there is a ton over there, its mainly a European brand but from what I understand they are wanting to make a big push here in the USA in coming years.

Oh 1 thing I should note is only small negative I can think of is if you are coming to Chicago and using public transit the hotel is not super close to a train stop. But I did walk it, in December too, and its not that bad, about a 15min walk from the stop off the blue line from the airport (ORD). But if you have a lot of luggage or whatever you probably would want to take a cab.

Room Tip: as with any hotel, highest floor possible for best views and less noise
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I am thrilled that you enjoyed not only our hotel, but also some of our overseas properties! I am also happy that you are part of Club Carlson to receive all of the perks or our brand! I truly hope that we see you again soon!