“Modern and unique” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel

You added Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   221 N. Columbus Drive, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 15%
Ranked #9 of 179 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Modern and unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Clean, modern rooms with nice details. Great views of the city- feels like an apt rather than hotel. So new. Perks and free drinks. Lobby is very cool. Ambiance. Check in was nice- very accommodating. Check out was odd- gentleman at desk was rude and shoved us off on very nice young lady.

• Stayed January 2012
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for the review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the design of the rooms! I would, however like to apologize for the situation that occured upon departure. I have addressed your comments with our team and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this caused for you.

Peirre-Louis Giacotto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Let's just start by saying the staff are one of the most unhelpful groups ever assembled. You will see this theme throughout this review. I do a ton of business with my local Radisson in Bothell (Seattle) Washington. I "won" two free nights at Blu during a holiday event. I was to receive a park view room on the business class floor. My GPS placed me below the hotel and when I called to get directions on how to get to the surface, the reply from the staff was "We don't drive here sir, so we don't know how to get here". You think they would ask somebody? Hell no! So I drove around for an hour finally getting to the surface and to the hotel. I was then forced to illegally park in the alley to go check in because there was no room to park, or no designated area for people who want to check in. Check in went fine and then, I got to my "room". It was literally the size of a small office. The view??? A big ugly office building!!! So I look at the fire escape map and see they gave me the tiniest room available, tucked away in a corner. It was about 30% smaller than the other rooms. So I go downstairs, ready to check out. There were suites available at the Crowne Plaza just 10 minutes away. Begrudginly and I mean begrudginly, the desk person offered up another room. I asked if it was "park view" as promised by my certificate, and they said "no". I explained that I had reserved park view two weeks earlier. They said "First come, first served" and they gave away the room that I reserved!!!! So, anyhow, long story short, I took the new room, which was larger, and made the best of it. As others have said, they put the themostat right by the window, so the room baked no matter how low you put the temp. The food was bland and expensive and their business lounge was an absolute joke. The Holiday Inn Express does a better job at breakfast and happy hour than this place did. Maybe hipsters that enjoy a ton of style with very little substance may enjoy this property, but I prefer a hotel where guests are treated with respect, reservations are kept, rooms are modern AND spacious and the "extras" really are extra. I am severly disappointed with my stay at the Rasisson Blu and I would highly recommend you look elsewhere for the Chicago experience. This place sucked!

Room Tip: Go to a competing hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
New Palestine, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We visited the Blu Aqua thanks to a Groupon offer introducing the hotel. We loved everything about the hotel (except the fact that the couch in our suite was very uncomfortable). We had a park view suite and enjoyed stepping out onto the balcony for some fresh air. The design of the rooms was quite unique, but very functional as well. The large flat screen TV's and free wi-fi were great additions as well. Aside from the magnificent room, however, the best part of our visit may have been the service. We spoke to the doorman, Bob, on several occasions and received many great tips and recomendations on nearby eateries and activities. The whole staff was very pleasant and attentive throughout our stay. The wall length firplace in the lobby is a site to see, along with the "candle lit" tables in the Filini Lounge. The workout area looked amazing, although we didn't have to to try it out. The parking cost is a bit high at $53/night, but not really out of line with Chicago standards. Our only other complaint, albeit a minor one, was with the minibar/fridge. We were warned by both the desk clerk and bellman that the items were actually on some type of timer. If an item was removed and later put back a charge would still show up on the bill. We were told it was easy enough to have them taken back off, but not really a hassle I wanted to go through at checkout. We had been hoping to chill some wine in the fridge, but didn't know how many items we would displace in the process! Overall though, the hotel was quite amazing and definitely a place we will return to in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a nice review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time at the hotel! I have also passed on your compliments to Bob and he was honored that you mentioned him by name! Thanks again!

Freeport, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

The Radisson Blu Aqua is a fabulous hotel located in the heart of downtown Chicago just off Millennium Park. Absolutely the cleanest room ever, beautiful bath, great bed and balconies with a lovely view of the park. The Filini Lounge is beautiful and the service superb. The indoor pool and excercise room are great. We loved everything about our stay and would highly recommend this hotel. Check it out if you are coming to Chicago!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room overlooking Millennium Park.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Thank you so much for leaving us a review! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you are recommending us to your friends! I hope that we see you back again soon!

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and I brought the kids to stay here and shop! Hotel is in walking distance to all shopping. The staff was wonderfully pleasant. The hotel itself is exactly what you'd expect from a new Carlson property. Modern design with user-friendly space n the guest rooms. Will recommend to anyone visiting the Windy City.

Room Tip: Our view was of Navy Pier
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! I am thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your time at the hotel and in the city. I can't tell you how much we appreciate your recommendation! I hope we see you back again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I stay at this hotel on December 26, 2011 for one night. The hotel itself is sleek and modern and new. I was given an upgraded corner room with a balcony facing south and west. The views from the room are amazing.

My hotel and my room had a great design aesthetic, but my room wasn't fully serviced when I checked in (the trash cans were full and the toilet obviously hadn't been cleaned). After informing the front desk, housekeeping came up 2.5 hours later -- when I was in bed.

The desk layout isn't conducive to a productive work day. I slept pretty well that night and didn't hear any hallway noise.

The next morning I informed the front desk folks about my issues and they were great, offering several solutions.

Bottom line, I paid $140 for a room in an amazing area, just off Michigan Avenue. I would recommend staying here again -- just know you are not staying at a 5-Star Hotel.

You can see my full review with many photos at http://landtt.blogspot.com/2012/01/radisson-blu-chicago-hotel-review.html

Room Tip: Ask for a southwest view - you can see Navy Pier, the park and the amazing architecture in the area.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed the location and hotel features but I cannot apologize enough for the issues you encountered. I am addressing each of your comments with our team and I am embarassed that this was your experience at the hotel. We strive to offer 5 star service and I am truly sorry that we did not live up to these expectations and for any inconvenience we caused you during your visit. I hope that you will return so that we can recoup your confidence in us.

Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My wife and I visited Chicago for New Years Eve, and we were enticed by the new and renowned Aqua building and decided to splurge and stay at the slightly more expensive Radisson Aqua.

Room choices:
You get a choice of City View (facing north and west) vs. Park view (facing east and south). I believe both sides should have good view, but I upgraded to a Park View corner room with because I wanted to see the New Year Eve firework close to Navy Pier. The corner room is a slightly larger room than the typical one and has a wrap-around balcony so you can see to sides of the city (I have some reservation about this "upgrade", will elaborate later).

Other choices you can have is with and without balcony. For those without chilldren, I will definite recommend the room with Balcony because it's nice to be able to go outside. However, those with kids should probably forgo that option as I can definitely imagine a kid can climb over that rail and fall over.

The hotel cover the first 20 floor of the Aqua tower, and since it's in downtown Chicago, I definitely recommend asking for room in the higher floors so you can have a better view and get away from some of the street noise.

As I mentioned before, we upgraded to the corner room to get a better view of the city. There are 2 benefits and 1 big drawback to this: The main benefit is the expansive view of 2 sides of the building, and a much larger wraparound balcony. Another benefit is that you supposedly gain an extra 10~20% more space. However, the space you supposedly gain cannot be used. The room is designed to get as much of the useable view as possible in a rectangular area. They do that by putting the bathroom in the middle, so the room actually forms a "U" shape. You enter the room from one end of the U, and the bed is in the other end. The end result is that most of the space is completely wasted and unusable, and the room actually feels smaller than a regular non-corner room. Unless you plan on spending a lot of time on the wraparound balcony, I don't recommend getting the corner room. Other than that, the room is new, clean, and very modern. Bathroom has a separate stall for shower and toilet, and all the fixture feels very solid and nice.

Fitness center/spa:
Other things we liked about the hotel is the awesome fitness center that spans 2 floors. There's a large 25m outdoor pool that can be wonderful in the summer, and a 2 lane indoor pool that's useful in the Chicago winter. Hot tub is available inside and outside as well adjacent to the pools. On the other level, you have a very large fitness center with all the standard free and fixed weight equipment, as well as a small half-court basketball court. There is also top notch with a roomy Sauna and Steam room and a full service spa that my wife and I really enjoyed. The fitness center and pool is shared with the locals who own/rent the condo/apartment upstairs. All the locals we met were very nice, but I can imagine that after a few years they may get a bit tired of all the hotel guests sharing the facilities with them. There were also a lot of kids running around the fitness center, and the wait time for the elevator seems a bit long at times. Nevertheless, I thought this fitness center is the best of any business-level hotels I've ever stayed at.

Restaurant/bars
We didn't get to try the Filini restaurant or the room service, but we did try the bar one the first floor. The food/drink/service were all on par with our expectation, but nothing too special.

All in all, we really enjoyed the stay at the hotel. There were a few kinks that should be worked out soon (no towels in the fitness center, 2 of the 4 elevator were down for a period of our stay), but I'll definitely come back next time I'm in Chicago.

Room Tip: Choose Balcony if you don't have kids. Do not get the corner room upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! I am happy that you enjoyed your overall stay at the hotel, but would like to apologize that your room type was not what you were expecting. We do offer several different layouts, so hopefully the room on your next visit will be more to you taste! We are also looking forward to opening the outdoor pool once the weather warms up and are happy to be able to offer both an indoor and outdoor option for our guests! Thanks again for the review! I look forward to seeing you back on your next visit to the city!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Been to Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel? Share your experiences!