“Celebrate or Treat Yourself” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Madison
Description: From the creators of The Gage comes Henri — energetically American, French influenced.   Heralded as an "instant classic", Henri offers fine dining without pretention. Under the direction of Executive Chef Chris Gawronski, Henri’s menu is influenced by the refining principles of classical cuisine. Innovative dishes like kampachi crudo join traditional favorites such as foie gras, steak tartare, Dover sole and ribeye au poivre. The tasting menu highlights the bounty of the season, accompanied by perfectly paired wines by sommelier Jason Wagner. The carefully curated wine list is almost exclusively biodynamic, while cocktails are both creative and classic. Reminiscent of a European salon, Henri provides an elegant respite from bustling Michigan Avenue.
Alas, Spain
“Celebrate or Treat Yourself”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My husband and I met my best friend whom I hadn't seen in ages to celebrate our engagement and her getting into med school. Unfortunately, we were flying in from out of state, and had to keep pushing back our reservation until just before the restaurant closed.

Henri went above and beyond to accommodate us. Every time we pushed back our reservation they were polite and understanding. They sat my friend at the bar and when we finally arrived, soon before closing, we were greeted with complimentary champagne and a warm welcome and ushered to our seats with sympathy and care. Staff members were attentive, pleasant, and cheerful as they went out of their way to give us a pleasant dining experience after our ordeal, and did not rush us despite arriving late. They even remained open for us after other guests left. The service is incredible, the food is beyond compare, and the ambience is soothing and upscale at the same time.

So far Henri has outshone the New York restaurants at which I've dined. The dining space is intimate, lowly lit, but not crowded, and there is plenty of light to enjoy the company of your dining companions and the decor. The staff is friendly and knowledgable. The sommelier spoke to us at length not only about the wines but about her backround, when my husband asked, which was fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable and refreshing.

My friends who are native to Chicago have likewise lavished praised on Henri. The price is right for a celebration, but high for a weekly night out. Save it for a special occasion or a bad day. It certainly brightened ours!

Visited July 2011

Christiansted, St. Croix
“Lovely...but a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Near to our condo, me and friend made a reservation based on viewing the menu from outside their Michigan Avenue address. The dining room was lovely, and nicely appointed without being garish. Menu sounded great, service was very nice. Upon receiving the food...I was shocked at the portion size. I am not one to pay a good price for a good meal but I was shocked at the portion. I had a chilled lobster salad over greens and received a portion of lobster tail with chilled lobster in a light sauce. Thats it. Staff was nice...but all in all we all discussed afterwards that for the money, we were very disappointed. Can not bring myself to recommend to anyone visiting. Very, very disapointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nashville, Tennessee
“Fine dining at an affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012 via mobile

I started off with a frisée salad and my husband started with the mussels. We enjoyed both. We both had the chicken ballotine and it was delicious and super tender. It was a lot of food so we could have easily shared it. The dining room was lovely old school glamour with chocolate colored velvet upholstered walls, robins egg blue chairs and banquettes, and big chandeliers with silk shades. The service was excellent and unpretentious. We would definitely return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“High Church Menu..so-so food..Extremely Dissapointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Went with family to celebrate my nieces graduation. From the get go it slid down hill made reservation 6 weeks ahead but was still forced to wait 45 minutes for the table to be ready, Upom enquiring to the delay was simply told "Well after all we are Henri's" If you know what that means your a better man than I.

After finally being seated 3 of our party of 7 orders could not be filled due to the restaurant being out it. I had the Dover sole it was o.k but they took a beautifull simple piece of fish and felt the need to drown it in a sauce that did nothing to compliment it.

The wine selection was vast yet a little over priced for the selections they offered and the young waiter we had felt the need to talk down to everyone at the table in regards to there wine selections once even letting out a gasp when a wine was orderd he did not feel was correct.

All in all very dissapointing since it carries mostly good reviews, but in my opinion many many other better establishments to eat at in this area of the city

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Katy
“Henri's was a wonderful birthday dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

From the minute we walked in the door, Henri's staff was wonderful.The extra steps like writing " Happy Birthday Tom" on my husband's menu to the host coming over and saying Happy Birthday, made it all so special.The food was wonderful as well as the desserts.We willbe back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere