“Good Times Indeed!” 5 of 5 stars

$26*
and up
Ranked #26 of 301 Activities in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided tours of architecture, history and culture that bring people to explore stories and places locals don't even know. Tours include Good Times Historic Bar Tour, Inside the Loop Architectural Tour, and Jazz, Blues & Beyond Bus Tour. Guests get to share iPads with media while professional tour guides share forgotten stories from the past and create a fun, interactive dynamic.
Madison, Wisconsin
“Good Times Indeed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I came back to Chicago for an alumni weekend, and an old classmate recommended the Good Times Historic Bar Tour. I am glad I listened. As a former resident, I was looking for a unique tour that would deepen my understanding of Chicago history and culture, and The Good Times Historic Bar Tour exceeded my expectations in every regard. The tour was interactive, informative, and (true to its name) a very good time.

Our tour guide, Amanda, led us on a 2 1/2 hr. tour through a carefully curated portion of the "Maginificent Mile," an area famous (I now know) for its rich history of drinking, jazz, social change, and even an elite social club. Unlike other tours I've been on, Amanda seemed to emphasize depth over breadth. Her talent for creating narratives for each stop on the tour left me with some memorable takeways that other tours have not. Through the use of archival images and videos (provided by Chicago Detours iPads!)Amanda was able to actually show us the history behind a building, threading a narrative back through time in an illuminating and entertaining way. Also, at some of the stops, we were able to drink and eat appetizers, and this provided plenty of time for questions for our guide as well as banter among the tour group. The dynamic was really fun, and though I went alone, I made fast friends with the other people in the group.

All in all, I had a wonderful time, and hopefully will have a chance to take another tour in the future. In the meantime, I highly recommend it to tourists and locals who want to see Chicago in an entirely new way. Definitely worht the time and the money.

Visited June 2013

Prairie Village, Kansas
“Historic Bar Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My daughter, mother-in-law and myself went on the Good Times Historic Bar tour last Saturday. We ended up having a private tour as the others that had scheduled had canceled due to the weather. I would have to say it was certainly their loss. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and our tour guide Elizabeth was awesome. The places we visited and the information we learned made walking around downtown Chicago so much more interesting. I would definately recommend this tour to anyone interested in the history of Chicago from before prohibition, during prohibition and up to modern day times. Thank you Elizabeth and Chicago Detours!

Visited June 2013
Brookfield, Illinois
38 attraction reviews
“See the Loop again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

As someone who has walked by the buildings a million times, it was nice to slow down and appreciate the beauty of the structures on this tour. They even covered my favorite Chicago landmark, the Picasso! Andrew our guide, was excellent and made our tour fun and very informative. We will for sure try to do another one through DeTours.

Visited May 2013
“Historic Bar Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our evening with guide Elizabeth and the rest of our group. Impressed with the preparation and knowledge of our guide while still making the tour fun. Be prepared to be interactive, makes the tour more enjoyable.

Visited May 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Tour-tastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Inside the Loop architectural Chicago Detours tour is an engaging and fun way to spend a beautiful few hours in Chicago. Amanda is a knowlegable and fun guide and the added mix of technology- using iPads to show additional photos and film clips- enhances the experience. Top it off with interesting tidbits of information about everything from the old Marshall Fields to the Pedway to the Chicago Cultural Center and you'll leave with an even bigger appreciation of this amazing city! (And some goodies and samples to take away.) Great for visitors and residents of Chicago alike- cannot wait to take the Good Times Historic Bar Tour next.

Visited April 2013