“Good food, poor set up!” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #862 of 8,390 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Description: gourmet sandwiches and salads with great coffee and desserts in the north Lincoln Park area near DePaul University
Stevens Point, Wisconsin, United States
“Good food, poor set up!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

A group of friends and I visited this morning and we entered the coffee shop side, looking at a sign that says we can order "here" or "there". We did not know where the restaurant is and there was no signage to indicate the location. We asked an employee after waiting in line. They sent us around the corner (outside) to order food. We ordered food and coffee. Our food was fixed there. They then said we had to go next door to get our coffee (outside).they only took down names for two of the 5 of us and proceeded to then give our orders to the wrong people in our party. I did not tip and was glad I didn't. This was the most confusing restaurant/cafe I have ever been in! On the upside their French toast casserole was delicious. I even had a bite of my friends breakfast burritos and it was tasty! The bad thing about the food was they did not have waffles! The one thing I wanted to order. :(

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Los Angeles, CA
“Great sandwiches and coffee! Yummy choco molasses cookie!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This cafe was around the corner from our hostel. We stopped here for 3 mornings in a row for some good coffee. Also tried the Tale of 2 Turkey and East of Eden sandwiches. Both were excellent (though the East of Eden was a little on the dry side). The chocolate molasses cookie was the only one I tried, but the others looked delicious too! Very thick almond biscotti was good too!I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to come to this cute little cafe, however, if you are in the area, a must for a nice lunch!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Eatery surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Great eatery to stop at in a windy day. Best bacon quiche ever! Nice and friendly athmosphere. You should try it

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Molasses cookies you will dream about”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My daughter and I went here for a quick dinner before a play at the Biograph last weekend. Very quaint little cafe decorated with various antiques. Loved the old pictures of the city. Very broad menu, something for every taste. I had the Walden sandwich -- curried chicken salad -- and it was delicious. My daughter had the Catcher in the Rye -- their version of a Reuben -- which she said was delightful. But the real gem is the molasses cookies. They taste just like my mom's homemade cookies. We bought the last one they had in the cafe and shared it, but it was so delicious that we went next door to the adjoining coffee shop and bought two more to take home with us. I actually had a dream about the cookies last night, five days later. I think I need to go back and get more cookies!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ohio
“Yummy food and drinks, and a charming, old-fashioned atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The first time I came across this cafe was on a trip to Chicago in the dead of winter with my best friend. We ducked into this cafe because we were freezing (!) and because it looked like the type of place we would enjoy. We were not disappointed! The hot chocolate was awesome, as was the turkey panini. The upstairs of the cafe is cozy and charming, with an old phone booth, battered games/books, and comfy places to sit. I liked the cafe so much, I went back on my next trip.

• Visited December 2011