“Overbooked and dirty!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of State and Grand by BridgeStreet Worldwide

You added State and Grand by BridgeStreet Worldwide to your Saves list
State and Grand by BridgeStreet Worldwide
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   505 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Ranked #20 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Chicago
Manila, Arkansas
“Overbooked and dirty!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

When we arrived, we were put into a smaller unit than we had arranged due to over-booking on their part. We called down and complained about the smaller room, that had no where for my daughter to sleep as there was only a love seat in the living room, and were told that since it was Sunday and that they were over booked, nothing could be done until management arrived on Monday. I guess they expected her to sleep on the floor until we called about the lack of a sleeper sofa! They finally brought a blow up mattress that evening with some thread bare sheets for her to sleep on which was extremely tacky considering we were paying over $300 per night!

We were promised a call from management on Monday but did not receive one. I made contact with the management staff on Tuesday in order to seek some help and support which they should have initiated given our position!

The hotel management credited our bill for one night due to the smaller room but was unable to correct the smell. They did try to abate the smell but it was back within a day. It was our opinion that it was the rug in the living area, and we thought about moving it out into the hallway, but when we lifted it and saw the dirt and debris under it, we didn't do so. To add to the lack of comfort, there was no bi-weekly maid service as advertised.

I cannot recommend them to anyone based upon our experience. I have stayed in Holiday Inn's that were much cleaner and more comfortable. I could go on and on about the things that were wrong with this stay, but it would take too long, and quite honestly, I want to forget all about The State & Grand by Bridgestreet. While I believe there are statistically more good experiences here than bad, you would be taking a chance that you could draw the short straw and get treatment like we received.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Wyoming, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I was originally booked to stay here January 2014 but due to a huge snow storm I was not going to make if from Michigan to Chicago. Hotel could not cancel free of charge even though they were getting hit by the storm as well but allowed me to re booked and charged 1st night plus tax. When I arrived earlier than check in we just wanted to park the car so we could go explore. Lady at the desk could not get the garage open right away and had to wait about 30 minutes for her to get a hold of someone with the password to log int her computer to open the parking. She was not very polite and seemed liek we were an inconvenient to her. She said she would call us if we were able to check in early but never called not even at normal check in time. The gentleman that checked me in did not see in their system that I had already paid some of the stay. There were 4 of us and when we got into the room there was no sofa bed. There were cigarette butts and a bottle that looked like it was full of pee on the ledge outside our balcony. The ice machine in our refrigerator smelled like rotten eggs and we had to empty it and clean it and wait a few hours for it to make new ice for cold drinks. Guy at the desk couldn't find a blow up mattress or a different room so said we could go to the store to buy a blow up mattress and he would refund us. Would not go get it himself and we did not have the extra money to buy a blow up mattress we will never use again.

When we checked out 2 days later the lady at the desk was very nice and since there was nothing in the system about how much we had payed and since we got the wrong room we should be able to receive a discount so she had us fill out a authorization form and said someone would be in contact. Emailed the manager regarding the complaints and he stated he would take 50 off per night. Got an email the next day stating they were trying to charge my card 339!! I already paid 114 and the remaining balance originally confirmed to me was 162 plus tax. With parking and the $100 of my total was 126. They charged the 339 and the manager is stating he made a mistake when quoting me the total due and will not correct it! Said they would refund the 114 but then i am still out 109 that they will not refund. It has been over a week and the 114 has not been refunded.

Horrible experience and most of the staff were very rude and did not seem to want to help with anything.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I'm somewhat baffled by the more negative reviews here.

My wife and I stayed here for five days as part of a SW Airlines package deal. It was cheaper and better located than a hotel room, and for that we got a one-bedroom apartment. The location can't be beat, close to everything and with a Red line subway stop at the corner.

We were astonished to find we were assigned a top floor corner unit with great views on two sides. The furniture was new, the bedding comfortable, the bathroom large, and the staff very helpful. It's true that the kitchenware was kind of basic (only three plates?) but otherwise the unit was well stocked. The staff was great: We arrived early and stayed late, but they were happy to store our luggage for us and call us when the room was ready. There was free coffee in the lobby.

The gym appears to be shared with the Palomar hotel, but it's better than average, having free weights and a few machines in addition to the inevitable treadmills. The equipment was new and well cared for. The pool is smallish but indoors. The Sable restaurant at street level will deliver take-out to the room.

My only quibbles are that the internet was hard to connect to (but otherwise quite speedy), and only one of the two elevators goes to the fitness center, requiring us to play hopscotch with the cars to snag one that could take us where we wanted to go.

I'll probably not be so lucky as to get this deal a second time, but I recommend that everyone at least try!

Room Tip: The one- and two-bedroom units are on the corners, the studio units in the middle. The upper floors...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

What a great gem this service apartment hotel is! Conveniently located in River North and a couple of short blocks away from Magnificent Mile, the lake and amazing restaurants- this apartment made us feel more like home, than being in a hotel. The furnishings are upgraded, the building is safe and secure - and there is on-site parking which can be a hassle to find in downtown. Some hotels charge upwards of $60 for overnight parking. But not State and Grand! Reasonable, secure and convenient! The apartments are spacious and well appointed, however the televisions are crazy ridiculously small and the kitchens are minimally stocked with cookware, utensils and supplies. The cable channels are also very minimal and it can be a challenge to find something to watch if you like to kick your feet up, have a beverage and watch some late night tv. There is an indoor pool, fitness center and outside patio deck. Great place!

• Stayed May 2014
Mugla, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stayed at this apartment with my family appoximately four months and I'm happy to say that it was the right choice.
Many thanks to Anton, Mat, Jose, Tom and Tony for their kind approach and help to all of our needs.
If we come again to Chicago, we will surely choose the same place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We picked this property because we had three adults and wanted separate bedrooms and bathrooms, which it definitely had. However, I did not realize that it is a Corporate Housing unit. The building is just down the street from The Langham and located in the same building as the Hotel Palomar. On the plus side the unit was very large, had excellent views, a full kitchen, and a washer & dryer. The staff was very friendly. There is a grocery store just down the street where we bought bagels and coffee every night for the following morning, but there is no toaster – so we used the broil feature in the oven. There was an onsite pool which looked nice, but we didn’t have time to try out, and the same with the gym. Negatives: the beds were squeaky, the mattress weren’t comfortable and the bedding was cheap and not sufficient in the cold Chicago winter; the master shower was incredibly small, the furniture is worn-down and of low quality - the drawers in the dresser kept sliding open; and we had trouble with slow internet service as well. I would not recommend corporate housing for short-term stays.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Found this place online because of price increase at embassy suites hotel we stayed at year before. Glad we did. Apartment was great size for 3 adults. 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom. Great living area and loved the balcony. Great view of the city. Will stay here again when we come back to Chicago.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to State and Grand by BridgeStreet Worldwide? Share your experiences!