“JW Marriott” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Cincinnati, OH
“JW Marriott”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Location: Very conveniently located in South Loop. Close to finalcial district, the El, restaurants and many tourist areas.

Rooms: Not very large, but elegantly appointed. Bathrooms are very impressive with serperate shower and tub. Marble vanity, very large.

Gym/Pool/Spa: Second to none. The best health club I have seen in a "non-resort" Marriott property. Very nearly a full scale health club. Pool is large enough to swim laps. Hot tun is large as well. Spa is very nice though on the expensive side.

Restaurants/Bar: Bar is what you would expect in a JW property, upscale and chic. Restaurant is Italian and pretty good, but would recommend dining in city.

Concierge/Service/Valet: All live up to the JW Marriott brand. Will assist with directions, cabs, metro, tickets, reservations, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for the detailed review, we're happy that you had the opportunity to explore different aspects of our hotel and share your experience with other readers. The intent of Valeo Spa was to create an "urban oasis" and delighted it met your needs. Our location in the Financial District was initially designed with the business traveler in mind, but we've discovered that many of our guests now choose us to be near Chicago's top tourist destinations. It's always rewarding for us to hear that you and your family had a memorable stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Saint-Etienne, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is superbly located. The rooms, bathroom, gym, etc, are all ok. Room service is also good. Their Italian restaurant on the 2nd floor offers high quality food. The staff is very friendly and efficient. All in all an excellent experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you Alex, it appears you enjoy various food experiences and we're happy that we could provide the level of service and product that you have come to expect.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here recently with my husband while he was on business, I took a mini vacation. What a vacation it was!

We arrived very late due to a delayed train, it was about 1am, we were checked in quickly and efficiently and the service was great.

Our first room was a bit small, although very well appointed, this is definitely a new hotel. The bathroom was spacious and nice, although it did not have a bath, just a shower. The rest of the room was quite nice just small, but had all the amenities you would expect in a high end hotel, mini bar, iron, ironing board, luggage rack, flat screen tv, coffee maker, etc.

I contacted the hotel the morning after checking in to see if we could be upgraded (we are platinum status with Marriott and are guaranteed an upgrade if its available), the hotel staff worked hard to find us a room and were extremely courteous. The hotel upgraded us to a very luxurious, spacious and fabulous suite. They sent up a staff member to help move our luggage to our new room. I believe the young man's name was Miguel, and he was the nicest staff member at this hotel by far. He was legitimately excited to show me the suite we were upgraded to, and made sure to show me everything in the suite. He was such a great employee, this hotel is lucky to have someone like him and hopefully they reward him. I later saw him when we were checking out and he was providing excellent service in the lobby to some other guests, he then hailed us a cab as we were leaving, he always seemed genuinely happy to be working and helping guests. The other staff member that I remember was named Beth (I think) at the front desk, She helped us with our upgrade and then remembered me the next day when my key stopped working, I have stayed at some really fancy hotels and the staff did not even remember me, this is personalized service at its best. I rarely find this kind of service in large chain hotels, so I was really impressed by this.

Our suite is worth mentioning again, it was probably around 900-1000 square feet. It had a living room with a wet bar, a half bath and large couch and chairs. The bedroom was huge and had a king bed and two chairs with a large walk in closet and the bathroom was the masterpiece. The bathroom was a true 5 piece bathroom. with a huge soaking tub in the center, a separate large shower, a toilet in its own room with a door (nice touch for privacy) and two vanities. The bathroom was quite luxurious and it felt like my own private spa.

speaking of the spa, I went for a massage, it was an okay experience but the pictures of Valeo Spa made it seem much nicer than it was in reality. It had all the offerings, but it just wasn't as luxurious as it could have been nor was it as nice as many of the other spas that I have been to that are on par with the pricing/level of Valeo. I would not recommend going there if you appreciate a luxury spa.

The lobby of this hotel is also worth mentioning, it has a lot of energy and feels vibrant. They have fresh fruit water in the lobby which is different each day and is always a nice touch.

Another thing I really like about JW Marriott hotels is their toiletries, they use Aromatherapy brand and the smell is like heaven.

The fitness center is also quite nice and they offer classes on site which is a really nice touch. The fitness center offers a lot of machines, weights, etc., plus a pool and hot tub.

Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here and after seeing two rooms I can say that no matter which room you are in, it will be nice. The overall experience at this hotel is hard to duplicate due to 3 things, 1. the excellent staff that go out of their way to make your stay perfect, 2. the historic character of the hotel that has been renovated to stay true to character yet feels completely luxurious and 3. the overall amenities this hotel offers (pool, spa, fitness center, restaurants, etc.). It's truly hard to meld all of these qualities, but this hotel has done a fabulous job!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the city, otherwise you will be stuck looking at the interior of the h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the positive review of our hotel and especially our staff. We take great pride in our high quality associates and when our Elite Guests take the time to recognize them, we are delighted to share your feedback with the entire team.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed with my wife ;we had the Adam suite ..great room;a lit of space ;grwat lication and attention to details was beyond my expectations.The suite was super clean ;the bad was super comfy .The staff qas highly professional and super friendly .
I was really super impressed

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for the positive review, we appreciate your feedback but even more so happy that you had a memorable stay where we were able to surpass your expectations.
Mid West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have stayed at the JW Marriott several times.The wonderful, personable, attentive, efficient, and knowledgeable staff keep bringing us back. Every member of the JW staff is top notch...the minute you arrive you feel like you are being greated by family! The rooms are always clean and the beds very comfortable and the bathrooms are perfect... you will fall in love with the shower! . The location of the hotel is perfect if you are there on business or there for a nice little relaxing visit.... and the spa ( VALEO) is wonderful and inviting! The food is amazing... the pretzel burger outrageously delicious and the Chicago blackout cake melts in your mouth... . The hotel restaurant is also top notch. The hotel is so friendly,comfortable we keep coming back and would not consider staying anywhere else!.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review, will be difficult to improve on "perfect" but we're up to the challenge.
We pride ourselves in our staff more than anything, and that our associates continue to provide you with top notch service is something we are happy to pass along to all involved.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife was at the JW Marriott for a conference in Chicago and was upgraded to a corner suite. It was truly amazing, the size of a small apartment. 1 1/2 baths, wet bar, living room, huge bathroom including a big tub, and large shower, it even had a tv embedded into one of the mirrors. The executive lounge was fun, appetizers, drinks, breakfast. To top it all off, the Blackhawks had their victory parade after winning the Stanley Cup. I even managed a few of the famous Taverns, Millers Pub and Berghoff's . What would a trip to Chicago be without deep dish pizza? Segway tour down by the lake was a blast! I do love Chicago!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Happy to read you felt like Royalty, and appreciate your positive review of our hotel and one of our Luxury Suites.
We too love the great City of Chicago, and that your visit coincided with the Blackhawks victory was a special way to hopefully make this a long lasting memorable stay.
Jeffersonville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had two stays in June. The first was 6 nights, and second was 3 nights.

On the first stay, I was in X71, facing the north. The room was huge, so big in fact that the bathroom had an actual tub. It was a great room, except for 3 things. 1) There is a train at the end of the block that you hear all night. 2) I didn't really like the bed. 3) I don't think the thermostat was actually right...setting it for 69 was freezing but 70 was an inferno.

The second room was X85. It was an east facing room. The sun started peaking into the room earlier in the day than I wanted, and there was no bathrub. But I liked the bed a lot better and the thermostat working. And it was totally quiet.

My favorite silly thing about the hotel was the cable. They had Game Show Network, which was a lot of fun for me.

Check your Marriott Rewards account. Neither of my stays posted.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your favorable review, while our prime location in the Loop may limit our ability to curtail noise from the elevated trains, we most certainly will check into the cooling and unwanted light issues.
Your loyalty to Marriott through the Rewards program is also a priority, as we unable to access your information through TripAdvisor, if you have not yet received credit for your stay, please contact the hotel and ask for the Manager on Duty and they will be happy to ensure you are properly credited for both stays.

Been to JW Marriott Chicago? Share your experiences!