“Wow..a pleasant surprise especially after a long day at work or play” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manilow Suites at The Grand Plaza

Save Saved
You added Manilow Suites at The Grand Plaza to your Saves list
Manilow Suites at The Grand Plaza
545 N Dearborn St, Chicago, IL 60654   |
San Francisco
“Wow..a pleasant surprise especially after a long day at work or play”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My hubby was offered a number of places to stay as part of his transitional housing for his job and selected this building on sheer luck. The building façade is nondescript and we didn't know what to expect. Pleasantly surprised is an understatement because this building has 'round the clock doorperson, security access and so many amenities. I'll first list what we loved about his "home" away from home..
1) Location, location, location - Close enough so that we could take the CTA blue line directly from the airport and avoid the expense of a car rental/parking. It was an easy walk to Millenium Park, Navy Pier, Mag Mile, South Loop and we felt safe. Lots of diverse restaurants nearby too - House of Siam, Grahamwich, McDonalds, Portillos, etc. They also had a Jewel Osco grocery store downstairs which had reasonable prices and a wide variety of products.
2) Outdoor jogging/running track on the 9th floor that is beautifully maintained
3) Commercial coffee/cocoa maker also on 9th floor in library area - Pinch me..am I dreaming? Talk about convenience and not having to lift a finger to brew your own coffee as you just press a button and you're ready to go!
4) Indoor gym that is clean and has solid work-out equipment - This place makes it easy to stick to your exercise routine
5) Indoor basketball court
6) Outdoor pool, spa although we didn't get to use it since we were always out and about
7) Sophisticated and stylish décor added a nice touch
8) Loved waking up in the morning and having breakfast at the table or terrace while enjoying a gorgeous view of the Chicago cityscape
9) Every doorperson greeted us with a smile and hello. Super thumbs up!
10) Kitchen with everything you need if you just feel like eating a home cooked meal and washer/dryer in apt too!
11) Housekeeping was provided although we didn't have too much to clean up. Internet and basic cable included.
Now, for some cons. I'm nitpicking, but always good to provide a balanced view.
1) If you do decide to drive a car, parking is incredibly expensive downstairs. Be careful with the weekend specials, because it's pretty restrictive.
2) Our dishwasher had a loose part but nonetheless worked fine. Had to be extra careful when loading the bottom rack.
3) Knives were dull and could have been updated.
4) It was odd that the hallways to the apts were so plain, because the community areas and other parts of the building were so nicely appointed.
5) Lots of hustle and bustle in town, and can get noisy with the Fire Dept close by
Overall, we were fortunate our experience was exceptional and genuinely sad that our stay is coming to an end. Hands down the stay here is so much better than typical hotel stays at other places such as the Sheraton, Hyatt, etc. We are definitely coming back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had an extended stay that kept on extending until I relocated. I like grand plaza better than my new apartment. Service was really exceptional. Always accommodating, even last minute changes. Willing to work with you. Sarah was just awesome!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

A second contract in Chicago naturally led me to another stay with Manilow at the GP. As this contract comes to an end, I am regretfully leaving again and heading to Atlanta where a myriad of Hiltons and Marriotts await. If I am ever so lucky to get another Chicago assignment, I will surely be giving Sarah and crew a call. They are flexible, accommodating and have taken such great care of the residence. Recently, they installed RCN cable with Tivo and HDTV. They respond to requests quickly and professionally including changes in departure, billing entities, and general questions. I would highly recommend Manilow Suites!

Room Tip: I was on the 30th floor and had a great view. Occasionally I could hear neighbors.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Cupertino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I needed a furnished apartment in Chicago for a month for an extended business trip. A friend of mine told me that Grand Plaza in River North is the best place in town and it sure is. When I called Manilow to reserve an apartment I was greeted in a very professional and pleasant way. They offered me a junior one bedroom on the 23rd floor of the Grand Plaza with a terrace and a great view of the surrounding towers.

The place was spotless when I arrived. Spacious (700 Sq ft) with lots of closet space. Even a walk-in closet. The furniture is of very good quality and the kitchen and bathroom are equipped with all what you can think of. I asked for an upgrade of the Internet speed ( I needed 5MPS) and got it. The maid service is once a week and they do a great job.

Manilow is a woman owned and operated property management company. And you can certainly see and feel the woman's touch in the way the apartment is setup. Go Manilow! and Go Grand plaza!

Room Tip: Manilow told me that all the apartments they rent are above the 20th floor. This was my case as my...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I used the Grand Plaza as a temporary residence as I moved into Chicago. Everything exceeded my expectations. The staff at Manilow Suites are exceptional and were incredibly helpful in setting up my stay. My wife and son were comfortable in the place and loved the location. The doormen are very polite and helpful. We wish we could have stayed their longer.

I highly recommend the Grand Plaza for a number of reason. -- The location is outstanding (Close to restaurants and shopping (Mag mile), grocery store downstairs plus Trader Joes a few blocks away, connected to the Red line).

Cons: The fire station is close and you can hear the fire trucks go by but you get used to it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My mother had worked with this company in the past and when I needed a long term rental in Chicago, she suggested I take my business to Manilow. I was in the Grand Plaza in a comfortable Junior 1 bedroom. It was everything I needed and in a great location. The room wasn't ready in time for expected move in date - so Sarah W. arranged for me to stay at another property in the loop until the painting and cleaning was finished. Prompt personal service occurred whenever I requested anything or had a question. I felt a little bit like a diva - but I believe they aim to please The rest of the staff at Manilow (Stephanie and Yvonne) were also helpful with communications and minor questions that arose.

I plan on returning to Chicago for another project very soon and will stay in the Grand Plaza again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

This was the worst experience I have had in a hotel or any other temporary accommodations. The cleaners did not come and when they did they did not clean. Once they left the air-conditioner on for 4 days while I was out of town and then tried to charge me extra for it. It is their policy not to wash dishes. The television did not work, the towels were returned dirty and worst of all when I tried to complain the staff, including Rosie form operation said that there was nothing they could do. The telephone did not allow me to make outgoing calls. The list continues. I can't believe my company paid over $2800 for me to stay here. It was so exhausting to come home from a hard day of working to one problem after another, with no remorse or compensation from the management.

Do not stay here

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
ManilowSuites, Owner at Manilow Suites at The Grand Plaza, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
After over three years of this review being printed, I still am deeply saddened. Saddened because, for the most part, how can one possibly defend themselves?
For 34 years, Manilow Suites has been over and above all other corporate housing companies in Chicago providing the finest services amenities, quality and value. I am so proud of the company, I have developed as well as the most exceptional staff anyone could ever hope for.
I am deeply saddened for the young lady who wrote such blasphemy. The poor girl was under enormous stress working over 80 hours a week. I also discovered she was let go from the company within months of her review.
I am so appreciative and grateful to the thousands of people throughout the years who have enjoyed staying with Manilow Suites and their kind words have only given us greater drive and initiative to be the best today, and even better tomorrow. Thank you to those wonderful people.
Francine Manilow

Been to Manilow Suites at The Grand Plaza? Share your experiences!