My hubby was offered a number of places to stay as part of his transitional housing for his job and selected this building on sheer luck. The building façade is nondescript and we didn't know what to expect. Pleasantly surprised is an understatement because this building has 'round the clock doorperson, security access and so many amenities. I'll first list what we loved about his "home" away from home..
1) Location, location, location - Close enough so that we could take the CTA blue line directly from the airport and avoid the expense of a car rental/parking. It was an easy walk to Millenium Park, Navy Pier, Mag Mile, South Loop and we felt safe. Lots of diverse restaurants nearby too - House of Siam, Grahamwich, McDonalds, Portillos, etc. They also had a Jewel Osco grocery store downstairs which had reasonable prices and a wide variety of products.
2) Outdoor jogging/running track on the 9th floor that is beautifully maintained
3) Commercial coffee/cocoa maker also on 9th floor in library area - Pinch me..am I dreaming? Talk about convenience and not having to lift a finger to brew your own coffee as you just press a button and you're ready to go!
4) Indoor gym that is clean and has solid work-out equipment - This place makes it easy to stick to your exercise routine
5) Indoor basketball court
6) Outdoor pool, spa although we didn't get to use it since we were always out and about
7) Sophisticated and stylish décor added a nice touch
8) Loved waking up in the morning and having breakfast at the table or terrace while enjoying a gorgeous view of the Chicago cityscape
9) Every doorperson greeted us with a smile and hello. Super thumbs up!
10) Kitchen with everything you need if you just feel like eating a home cooked meal and washer/dryer in apt too!
11) Housekeeping was provided although we didn't have too much to clean up. Internet and basic cable included.
Now, for some cons. I'm nitpicking, but always good to provide a balanced view.
1) If you do decide to drive a car, parking is incredibly expensive downstairs. Be careful with the weekend specials, because it's pretty restrictive.
2) Our dishwasher had a loose part but nonetheless worked fine. Had to be extra careful when loading the bottom rack.
3) Knives were dull and could have been updated.
4) It was odd that the hallways to the apts were so plain, because the community areas and other parts of the building were so nicely appointed.
5) Lots of hustle and bustle in town, and can get noisy with the Fire Dept close by
Overall, we were fortunate our experience was exceptional and genuinely sad that our stay is coming to an end. Hands down the stay here is so much better than typical hotel stays at other places such as the Sheraton, Hyatt, etc. We are definitely coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Manilow Suites provides all of the comforts and convenience of a spacious luxury apartment with the services and amenities of a fine hotel. Rather than just being a bedroom and a wet bar, our apartments have fully equipped kitchens, state of the art electronics, and lavishly decorated living spaces. High Speed Internet and Expanded Cable, 24/hr concierge service, 24/hr doorman and security, and weekly or daily housekeeping. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets so you can book your Manilow Suites at The Grand Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manilow Suites At The Grand Plaza Hotel Chicago