“A great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
sydney
“A great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Excellent location
What made this hotel stand out was the fantastic staff. They actually left me with the impression that they liked what they were doing and who they were working with. Always happy and always so very willing to help.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

This is not a big hotel! Rather a nice Boutique Hotel in a good location. The staff was freindly enough, got a great room on the 16th floor. The bed was hands down the best bed I've ever slept in, and I stay at 5-star resorts all the time. The room wasn't that big, but nice and modern. My one big complaint was it was a bit noisy at times. Housekeeping cleaning and making noise in the hallways at 8:45am, and even on the 16th floor I heard some street noise. You would think a new hotel would have soundproof windows? Other than that, the location was great and room was classy. I would recommend staying here if you're on a high floor and can get a good deal on the room. Other than that.... I'm not sure if I would return, but did have a good time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Lovely modern art deco decor hotel (new) very close to Magnificent Mile. Spacious rooms with very clearn modern baths and very comfortable beds. Has that special touch vibe of Kimpton hotels--sumptuous towels, animal print terry robes, free wine tasting happy hour. Super friendly yet sophisticated service; conceriege was very helpful in identifying eating, directions, etc.. Did not eat in restaurant but specialty cocktails were great. Great spot to view 2K point of Chicago marathon.

Somewhat small lobby but large sitting room adjacent lobby with Chicago art books to brows through.

Not a bargain hotel but great value for the atmosphere.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Brilliant hotel with attractive rooms, modern decor, greta fitness center (including rowing machine). Expensive but will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

I booked at the Palomar because of the great reviews I saw online. Unfortunately, the trip did not live up to expectations. A few days before the trip, I received an email from the concierge asking us whether we were celebrating anything special and if we needed any services (e.g. restaurant reservations, etc.) I responded that I was with my best friend celebrating our mutual 40th birthdays and that we would like reservations at a particular restaurant. I did not hear back before my arrival but assumed that something would be communicated when checking in. At check in, we were told that we could have a corner room on the 5th floor (with the benefits of windows on both sides of the room) or a room higher up. We chose the room with more windows and were disappointed when we arrived on the 5th floor to see that it was the same floor as the conference center where an event had taken place earlier in the day - something that we were not informed of. The floor was not clean, with linens, empty glasses, etc. strewn about.. We then called down to the front desk to ask about our reservations to the requested resaurant to learn that there was nothing on record regarding our request. Why send such an email if it will just be ignored? The room was indeed on the corner, but not with enough windows to make up for the fact that we shared it with a conference floor, and there were cigarette butts and a dirty rag on the ledge outside our room door. To make matters worse, there was not an actual bathroom door, but a sliding door to the bathroom, which did not shut all the way. OK because we were best friends, but would have been most uncomforable if I had been with a significant other. We visited the bar downstairs (Sable) for a drink, and had a very unpleasant bartender - a rude bald man with a beard who basically ignored us. Luckily, a nice female bartender took pity on us and took our order. In short, I was not impressed with my stay at the Palomar which was unfortunate because I have had such great experiences with the hotel in San Francisco and Kimpton hotels in general.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
open2travel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

Beautiful brand new boutique hotel. Make sure to sign up for Kimpton Hotel's "In Touch" Program online before your stay---you'll get free wifi and ten dollars worth of snacks from the minibar.

Standard rooms are pretty small because they contain 2 queen beds...I really don't know where they would have set up a massage table if I had ordered one.

Also, the bathroom doors are right off the room and do not close fully in the standard queen room, but they are working on the problem. It's already fixed in the more expensive rooms, so before you go find out if they fixed the problem (if you care about your privacy).

Staff is amazing, gym open 24 hours. Fast elevators and clean rooms. An easy walk to lots of attractions and shopping.

All in all, it was a great trip and the hotel is really superb, with small customer service touches that make you feel welcome.

P.S.---hotel parking is pricey, so think twice before renting a car, or get a special hotel deal of room & parking together.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Indy, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, I knew this would be a fantastic trip. We were tired from the drive and just wanted to valet our car (at $50 a night) just so we wouldn't have to deal with Chicago traffic and trying to find a cheaper place to park. The valet totally surprised me. He asked if we would be needing our car during our stay. I told him no. He then suggested we park literally across the street for only $25 a night. How cool is that?! That type of service continued throughout our 2 night stay. The front desk attendants directed us to the complimentary Arnold Palmers that afternoon and the complimentary wine hour around 5:00 p.m. Mark, our concierge, was incredibly helpful with advanced tickets, directions, suggestions, etc. Overall fantastic experience and would definitely recommend this hotel to all of my friends and colleagues.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!