“Great place for a Girls Night Out!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
“Great place for a Girls Night Out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I have to say, I am very pleased with my recent stay at The Palomar. My girlfriends and I are from the area, but wanted a full night out experience and to stay at a boutique hotel. The staff was very personable and a pleasure to talk with. They seemed interested in our plans and offered suggestions - really great if you're from out of town! We had a nightcap at the The Sable (restaurant adjoining the hotel) and it was amazing! The hotel and bar was beautiful. The rooms were great, very clean. The bathroom door was a little weird - does not have a lock and is a sliding door with gaps, so you can hear EVERYTHING! Since I was with my girlfriends, it wasn't an issue. Four could stay comfortably with two queen size beds. I would stay here again - right in the middle of all the action! Thanks Hotel Palomar for making our GNO one to remember!

Room Tip: Upgrade to two double beds - it's well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear BeckySuhajda,

Thank you very much for your review and excellent rating here on Trip Advisor. Great to hear that your GNO was a success and hopefully one to remember! Please consider us for your next outing down here in Chicago and we certainly wish you a happy holiday season!

Best regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

In advance of arriving at the Palomar Chicago, I suffered from a throbbing tooth pain. I was boarding a flight from San Francisco for Chicago. I phoned and spoke to the Concierge, Mark Kraemer, who was not only pleasant to speak with but also very assuring that he would find me a dentist available upon my arrival. He delivered. I arrived in Chicago and there was a text message on my phone with the name of a dentist a few blocks from the hotel WAITING for me. WOW! Upon my arrival at the hotel, Mark was there smiling and willing to help me. He even upgraded my room kindly. Another WOW! The room was large and spacious, quite luxurious with a jacuzzi in the bathroom. The function that I attended at the hotel was well organized and catered. The food at the restaurant next door for dinner was scrumptious and inventive but for breakfast it was plain, boring and with mediocre service except for the beautiful and kind female receptionist. Would I stay here again? HELL YEA!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Marco P,

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. I'm glad that we were able to assist in helping you to feel better from your toothache - and I hope all is better now. Have a nice holiday season and safe travels to you.

Kind regards,

DuPage Co. IL USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

It was my birthday weekend and they were so gracious and kind! We had our small dog with us for our 1 bedroom suite. Room was immaculate. Bathroom was excellent. Nice huge 2 person tub. Great shower - good water pressure. Received a bottle of wine and chocolate with a birthday card from hotel. Wine and appetizer time in lobby living room was a treat. Met some nice people. Great location, easy to get to Michigan Ave and other shopping. Really liked the doorman and the Gentlemen who were serving the wine at the reception. Room temperature was easy to control. TVs worked great. I would stay here again. Thank you for your lovely, clean and well maintained property, as well as the exceptionally smiling staff. The only reason for no 5 stars is the check in. Room was not ready and we waited until almost 4pm, late check out was only 1pm on a Sunday (?). The free wifi was due to having a suite I think. I felt it was quiet. We were on 7th floor.

Dear luvsunandsand,

Thank you for such a kinda and praise-filled review. I am happy to know that you had a great time and enjoyed all aspects of your visit from your beautiful suite to the service you received from our team throughout. So sorry that we could not earn the 5th star from you due to your suite not being ready until 4pm. With our having only 9 of the specific suite type in which you stayed, in the hotel, we sometimes need a bit extra time to prepare them and do our best to have all ready by 3pm. I also apologize that we could not offer a later check-out than 1pm on the day of your departure. With 12pm being our check-out time, we try to accommodate 1pm requests whenever possible, but again, with our limited number of suites in the hotel, we need ample time to prepare for the next guests arriving later those days. I do thank you again for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us. Please come back and see us soon, and I wish you a wonderful holiday season!

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Our friends invited us for a special event held at the Palomar. We had never stayed here before so we were interested to see the hotel. Decorated in a young urban tone, there are couches outside with heat lamps, a living room area and reception as you enter. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful which is of importance in every Palomar hotel. There is a restaurant on the first floor but we did not eat there. Our room had a very comfortable bed and was well appointed. The bathroom is small but has a lot of shelving for your things. The heating system in the room is fairly loud but we were so tired that we slept any way.The location is good about six blocks from the center of the gold coast and about ten from the merchandise mart. I had requested a quiet room which, except for the heating was quiet on a higher floor. We were there on a group rate which made our stay affordable .The party was wonderful and the venue was relaxed and beautiful. I would say that it was comfortable for the price and the staf could not have been nicer.

Room Tip: become a kimpton member for perks, get a high floor
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear NC R,

Thanks so much for your review. It does sound like you enjoyed your weekend with us and had all the comforts of home throughout your visit. Thank you for your kind words and feedback and we are happy to have had the opportunity to serve you here as our guests. Enjoy your Thanksgiving and holiday season and safe travels to you.

Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were greeted promptly and check in was quick. Our little one was given a gift bag that included a blow up ball, some activity sheets and a paper describing scavenger hunt - that we didn't get to do because we didn't notice it until we were packing up to leave. The pool was nice temperature with comfy lounges. It was a basic rectangle pool without special amenities, but hey, kids have fun in pools no matter what! The beds were comfy. The room wasn't big, but was enough room for us. We had room 1510 that was close to the far end. We did have firetrucks go by once, maybe twice both nights, but it wasn't a big deal. Location was decent and was within walking distance to a number of restaurants. They offered free coffee in the morning and wine in the evening -- standing room only in the evening. We'd stay there again!

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Dear nagiffag,

Thank you for your kind comments and for sharing your feedback. Glad to hear you had a nice time with us, and I thank you for your business. Safe travels and happy holidays to you and your family.

australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Good hotel. Modern with an urban chic flavour. Clean well presented rooms. On the small side. Well located close to Michigan avenue and great restaurants nearby. No formal concierge but desk staff at reception always polite and helpful. I think modern hotels have given the death kiss to the concierge. Decent in house restaurant and modern bar. The hotel provides coffee and tea for guests in the morning and a complimentary wine tasting in the early evening. Is noisy and we were
Coated opposite a housekeeping room which woke us every morning.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed away from housekeeping
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear manunited45,

Thank you for your survey and sharing your comments. We do appreciate your praises of the hotel as well as your choice to stay with us while here in Chicago. I apologize that you were not able to connect with our concierge team during your visit. We most certainly do have a full service concierge department and program here at the hotel, as we feel this is a key component in our industry, especially in downtown Chicago. So sorry you missed them. Again, I thank you for your comments and feedback and I wish you a wonderful upcoming holiday season.

Home Counties
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Palomar is at Illinois & State Streets, and a busy Chicago Fire Station is one block away at Illinois & Dearborn. This is a big hotel, and most rooms face Illinois Street. The fire engines with sirens blaring kept waking me up all through the night, each of the 4 nights I was there. Otherwise the Palomar was okay, with clean room, attentive staff, and free wine and pizza from 5 to 6 PM. However, I will not stay there again and can not recommend it to others, due to the nearby fire station.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Alpaca19,

Thank you for your review and details of your feedback. I do apologize that our proximity to the particular fire station that you mentioned caused you to have an unsatisfactory visit. This fire station, due to its central location in the heart of the River North neighborhood, affects nearly 20 hotels in a three block radius, and certainly does add to the energetic, downtown atmosphere with the emergency vehicles. We do our best from a physical standpoint with double-pane windows to aid in noise suppression, but unfortunately this does not shield us completely, all depending on our individual guests' opinions. Thank you for mentioning your positive thoughts on our hotel from our cleanliness to our friendly team members, and I do thank you for your business. Have a nice holiday season and safe travels to you and your family.

Kind regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!