“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Had a great stay at the Palomar for my wife's birthday. The check in/out process was quick and easy. The receptionist was friendly and answered all of our questions with ease. I the room was fantastic, The bed was perfect and soft, same for the pillows. Everything was clean, I couldn't find anything dusty or dirty any where in the room which is awesome. We ordered some room service off the late night menu. they called back and told us that popcorn was no longer carried but they would comp all the other stuff which was awesome. I wish the pool was opened 24hours. We didn't get a chance to use it since it closed at 10pm, only complaint I would have.

The location of the hotel is perfect walking distance to a insane amount of good restaurants and bars (if you into that). We live near chicago, so we know where all the good food and places are, but if your from out of town ask the front desk and the valet guys. Water tower place is a 15 min walk which is nice. Eatly is a 5 min away

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Austin U,

Thank you for your generous and kind review and rating. Your praise and good comments are very much aprpeciated and it is great to know that you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the hotel, as well as some great restaurants and shopping destinations in our neighborhood. Please come back for a visit soon and I wish you safe travels throughout the new year!

Best regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was very much looking forward to staying at the Palomar as I'd heard great things about the Kimpton property. We had family coming in from out of town and made reservations for 3 rooms. We were celebrating my husband's birthday. Speaking to reservations only reinforced to me that out of all of the choices in Chicago for places to stay this would be a great one. They asked me for all of the children's names and ages in our party so they could have something special waiting for each of them. They also asked for additional info on my husband and his birthday. Finally, they guaranteed a crib in the one room in which it was needed. We arrived and were greeted warmly by door men and front desk but rooms were not ready. We relaxed in the lounge. Overall, facility was nice, and location was great. When we did finally get to our rooms, nothing was waiting including the crib. We had to request the crib multiple times and it finally arrived around 9pm. No other "surprises" were ever delivered despite the front desk telling me they would be when i called to inquire about the crib. Overall, this would not be viewed as complaint worthy--except that the Palomar had taken such great effort to take detailed Information from me and thus set up the expectation that some nice and unique touches would be added.

Property was nice enough and kids enjoyed the pool but small touches were never followed through...left me feeling less than impressed. Oh well....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear LRY72,

I want to thank you for sharing your comments here regarding your recent visit. Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and your stay, but I certainly understand that these were overshadowed by your frustration with our lack of follow through on your expectations (which we set) prior to your arrival. We absolutely do our best to help make special memories for our guests, of all ages, especially when birthdays are being celebrated, weekend getaways, and just time with the family...We clearly dropped the ball here and I offer my sincerest apologies. Please contact me directly here at the hotel so that we can work to resolve this unsatisfactory experience and allow us to redeem ourselves by coming back for another try.

I do hope to hear from you soon and again, my apologies for these issues.

Kind regards,

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The location is perfect. Within a few blocks are several great restaurants, nightlife (Howl at the Moon, RedHead Piano Bar), Eataly(the new all things Italian shopping and eating destination), all in a very walkable area of the city. There is a grocery store across the street. Public transportation, the Red Line on the CTA, is also right around the corner. We loved the pool area and fitness center on the 17th floor, very clean, good equipment, and a great view of the city. Also in the rooms were yoga mats and videos on the TV. We loved the complimentary wine hour in the "living room" and also the heated living room area outside the hotel. It was quite popular with hotel guests on the Friday night so go promptly at 5 pm. Service was personal and amicable. The front desk was dogsitting a puppy when we arrived. Later the owner of the hotel took the puppy home for the night. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom very clean with good quality toiletries. The animal print robes were also quite fun. I also liked the desk with six outlets for all our tablets and cellphones. This was our first experience here and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor with a view of the city and also less street noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear lkic,

Please allow me to thank you for such a wonderful and detailed review of our hotel and surrounding area! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed all that we have to offer and all that the energetic River North neighborhood has to offer as well. Please come back and see us soon, and we may even have another furry friend behind the front desk to greet you, once again!

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Once again had a wonderful stay at the Palomar. From the super quick, friendly check in to the complementary wine and flat bread pizza from 5:-6:00., a great experience. Room was spotless as always. Was upgraded to a city view room, no charge. My favorite hotel in Chicago.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Michael H,

We love being one's favorite hotel in Chicago! Thank you for such loyalty. And thank you for this wonderful and kind review. We certainly look forward to your next visit and please travel safe.

Very kind regards,

Bordeaux, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were so impressed by the level of service at this hotel. Our room, exercise facilities, and pool area were all clean and comfortable. The staff greeted us (and our dog) by name and the housekeepers in particular went out of their way to make our stay pleasant (never have we stayed in a room that was cleaned with so much thoughtfulness and even whimsy). The toiletries (Etro) were much appreciated. The room service was prompt and reasonably priced, with good quality and portions. We will look forward to returning soon, with or without our pet. We were first-time guests at a Kimpton property and are now big fans of the brand. A wonderful find in a great location!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear rdumsp,

Welcome to the Kimpton family! It is so nice to read that you all enjoyed your time with us, and truly embraced all that is "Kimpton Love"...Please know that we are grateful for your kind review and five star rating and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit to Chicago.

Best regards and a happy and healthy 2014,

Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Palomar 3 times. Our first visit was opening weekend and we loved it so much we went back 2 more times. Everything about this hotel was amazing. The location is perfect. Right across the street is The Rock Bottom bar & grill and if you want an amazing steak, that's where to get it. Also, Weber Grill is across the street on the other side and they have the best pork chops i've ever tasted. Chicago is my wife's and my favorite place to be. We've been there 7 times in the last 5 years and we plan on going again this year. The service at the Palomar is fantastic, the door men are extremely friendly and helpful and the wine reception in the lobby is perfect. I have also stayed at the Allegro Chicago, which is also a Kimpton hotel. I can't say enough good things about the Kimpton hotels, they are by far my favorite hotel chain. I specifically look for Kimpton hotels in any city my wife and I are travelling to because they are a cut above the rest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Mike H,

Thank you very much for your glowing review of, not only your recent visit, but all of your past visits here at the Palomar, as well as our Hotel Allegro and Kimpton Hotels as a whole! We are humbled by your comments and I know our team is very appreciative of your feedback and we are all looking forward to your next stay!

Best regards,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have high standards and wasn't sure what to expect when we chose to stay at a "boutique" hotel. However, they have good reviews and we got the room at a nice discount/promotion they had at the time. I should *not* have worried! Room (standard 2 queen bed) was as expected- clean, nice decor, average size for being in a major city; we had enough space for 2 adults and a 5 year old. We had a decent city view. Pool was warm and clean with an excellent view of the city since it is located on 17th floor. Location is perfect- the red line is literally around the corner and the hotel is within walking distance to restaurants and shops. The real highlight was the staff; service was beyond excellent! Our son celebrated his birthday over our trip (that and Spring Break were the reasons we went to Chicago) and we mentioned it to the front desk. Later that night, they brought him 2 bottles of Goose Island root beer, some snacks, and coloring activities. We could have had a goldfish in our room, too, but we declined since we were out all day on most of the days we were there. We also received a complimentary bottle of red wine "just because." Complimentary coffee, water, and juices are served all day in the lobby with wine hour nightly. Overall, I will stay here again next time I am visiting Chicago.

Room Tip: Higher is better to avoid street noise. Avoid the 17th floor- that's where the pool and fitness...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear abbellire,

Thank you so much for taking a chance on us and it is great to hear that you were not disappointed! Wonderful to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy our services and your kind comments about our staff are very much appreciated. We hope to see you again later this year for your son's next birthday, or anytime in between!

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!