“Excellence in Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 10-15%
Ranked #7 of 172 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Excellence in Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I spend a lot of time in hotels. I have stayed in a lot great hotels. The Palomar is a rare combination of excellence in service, atmosphere, location and price.
We checked in at 4pm on a Friday. Within 10 minutes of being getting out of the car, we were in our suite and staring out over an amazing city skyline.
We asked for recommendations from the doormen, the front desk staff and the house keepers. They were all helpful and very honest about what they thought you should do in Chicago.
The complimentary wine hour in the evening and the coffee and tea selections in the morning all added to the experience.
My best guess is that there are 12-15 great restaurants within 5 minute walking radius of the hotel. The shopping is easily accessible, as well as the subway access being on the corner.
Through the front desk we arranged a car service and it was reasonably price, very reliable and the drivers were all very professional and courteous.

Room Tip: Corner suites are worth the money!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear JS,

It is absolutely wonderful to read such a kind review and I cannot thank you enough for sharing with the Trip Advisor community! Thank you for choosing to stay with us here and I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our neighborhood of Chicago and that you encountered great service throughout your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Chicago!

Kind regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Oak Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here the Evenng of Saturday, November 2nd for our Wedding Anniversary. I wanted the night to be perfect for My Wife and I had been dealing with the Concierge, Mark, well in advance. He went above and beyond and exceeded ALL expectations! I was impressed, but more importantly to me, so was My Wife. Dinner at The Signature Room, some shopping on Michigan Avenue and a Couple's Massage that Evening in our room. Mark was a big help for me in planning and helping with everything in advance. He even had a room upgrade for us, as well as a personal note and a complimentary bottle of wine in the room waiting upon check in. This Concierge and Hotel KNOW how to make people FEEL like VIP's! Our Portrait Suite was beautiful and huge. Couldn't ask for more! We were given a Suite on the 17th Floor and we didn't hear any sirens or street noise as I saw in a few other reviews. I had mentioned this when we made the reservation as My Wife is a light sleeper. And once again, Mark took care of Us!... A stay at The Palomar will make you feel like Royalty! Melissa was great and super friendly as well and she helped us with both checking in and checking out! Poor Girl works too much she was there to take care of us for both! Lol! But always with a smile... A stay here is certainly one you will enjoy. Thanks again to Mark and the Staff at The Palomar for making Our Wedding Anniversary a memorable one :)

Room Tip: The Higher the better apparently. We stayed n the 17th Floor and heard no street traffic at all.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear KevinOM,

I know that we have already corresponded via email regarding your recent visit with us for your wedding anniversary, but I wanted to reach out here as well to say thank you, so very much for all of your praise and wonderful feedback from your experience. It is absolutely terrific to hear how great your time with us was, as well as your memorable encounters with our concierge, Mark, and our front desk associate, Melissa. They are both special people who truly care about putting smiles on our guests' faces - and are true assets to our hotel and company. I thank you kindly for mentioning their names here as I know that it means a lot to them to know your high degree of satisfaction with your stay. On behalf of our entire team here at the Palomar, we wish you and your wife a Happy Anniversary, and we certainly welcome you back soon!

Shorewood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I was very impressed by the service received here. The location was excellent...within walking distance to everything we wanted to do. Check in and out was quick and friendly. They paid attention to every detail...even sent a bottle of wine to the room for my husband's birthday! Complimentary wine hour was great...flatbreads they served were delicious. I highly recommend trying drinks at Sable, adjacent to Palomar...they were unique and tasty. I would absolutely stay at this Hotel again!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear asil24,

Thank you so much for your gracious review here on Trip Advisor. We certainly love to hear when our guests truly enjoyed their visit, especially when celebrating a special occasion - please wish your husband a belated Happy Birthday! I do thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope you will do so again for your next trip into the city...perhaps for some holiday shopping in December...?

Chicago IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed for an extended weekend at the Palomar. What a beautiful hotel! Updated rooms and bathrooms. The service is wonderful and everyone is very friendly. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The beds are very comfortable. It is located in a great area of Chicago. You can walk to everything. They have a great one hour wine reception each evening and you can sit inside or outside (there are heating lamps if it is cold). Great hotel, great value and perfect location!

Room Tip: When you check in ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KathyBill1,

We very much appreciate your praise and kind comments - and I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us on your extended downtown weekend! It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy your visit and all that we have to offer as a Kimpton Hotel. We certainly hope you will come back soon for another long weekend - and until then, be well and enjoy the fall season!

Kind regards,

Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

As always, the Palomar provided a great stay, not unlike my stays at the Palomar SF and DC. I had a top floor king spa room with a good view. Wine hour was fun, coffee service good, and the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear TonyPSP,

Please allow me to thank you for sharing your kind review here on Trip Advisor. We very much appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you truly had a nice visit to Chicago, and here at our hotel. We certainly hope your Palomar loyalty continues, and Kimpton Hotels as a whole!

Safe travels always,

New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The front desk, bar and restaurant and rooms at this hotel are very very high quality and at a price which is significantly lower than similar luxury properties. The proximity to shopping restaurants and night life is excellent as well. I recommend staying here if you are visiting Chicago.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear bko61163,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback here on Trip Advisor from your recent stay. We very much appreciate your kind comments and recommendation of our hotel and we are happy to know that you enjoyed your visit. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town!

Antrim, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed for my mums retirement vacation it was our first time in chicago. This hotel was great we were surprised with bottle of champagne in our room when we arrived which was very nice. The rooms are excellent very spacious will definitely go back here. The reception staff are terrific they are so helpful recommended great restaurants every night. Would highly recommend staying here it was wonderful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear deblouise,

Thank you for your review and it is great to hear that you enjoyed your visit here in Chicago. And please pass on my congratulations on your mum's retirement as well! Please come back and see us the next time you are in Chicago and I wish you a wonderful fall/winter season!

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!