“Fun Stay…Kids loved it!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$50 Per Day Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Bridgman, Michigan
“Fun Stay…Kids loved it!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Take the 2 and 4 year olds to Chicago once every couple months, this was the first time taking them to the Palomar. The 4 year old has specified that this is the hotel she wants to go to for her birthday (that is an excellent approval rating- as she always want to go to another hotel we frequent). Kids loved the robes, mocktails, the pool and the terrace. Adults enjoyed the location, the pool and the terrace also. We stayed on the 17th floor, which was very convenient to the pool- the view was of the building next door,….but it's next to the terrace so it didn't matter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear PracticingTourist,

Great to hear that you and your family had such a nice time here at the Palomar. We certainly do love our kids around here and it is always so nice to hear when they love us as well! Hope to see you again in a couple of months.

Best wishes and thank you for your comments,

1,633 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We arrived around 11 a.m. and were surprised to get to check into our room. We were also surprised to find a bottle of champagne and a nice card in our room when we came back from dinner for our anniversary.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Louksscott,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments - and a very Happy Anniversary to you! Sam was thrilled to see her name "in lights" like this as the title of your review! She, and all of us, are very appreciative and happy that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you soon.

Travel Safe,

Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed at the Kimpton Palomar Chicago for 3 nights this week for a conference that was held at the hotel. Some of my colleagues went on and on about how this hotel is a "hidden gem". I thought it was a nice place to stay for a conference, but wouldn't necessarily call it a gem.

Location - the location is great, close to many restaurants and other amenities that you can walk to, as well as several other hotels, so if you conferencing nearby you could opt to stay at the Kimpton. I took the CTA to and from the airport and it was super easy as the Red Line is 1/2 block away.

Check-in - the lobby is understated, to the point of being unimpressive. It was a little hard to identify the entrance from the street as it is right next door to an apartment complex and the hotel restaurant. Understated. Front desk staff was very friendly and efficient, getting me checked in quickly. There is a "living room" type of area on this ground level where they have complimentary coffee in the morning and wine and sangria in the evenings, but other than that there is not much to the lobby.

Elevators - THIS is one element that takes this property down a star in the rating. There are only 2 elevators that service the majority of the guest floors and they take forever! If there is a conference at the hotel or the hotel is otherwise full you are SOL waiting for these elevators.

Room - I had a King view room that was clean, spacious and well appointed. The bathroom could have been a smidge bigger, but the hip, tasteful furnishings made up for it. I was in a corner on the 7th floor and boy was it noisy! I heard ALL the street noise, from sirens to honking to people yelling and music from a nearby club. Would request a quieter room next time.

Conference facilities - the 5th floor has the most spacious conference rooms with high ceilings, although it is a smallish hotel so they aren't huge. Our group felt a little shoe-horned in there. The 6th floor rooms are smaller with low ceilings and felt cramped. Cold ice water, clean glasses, pens and notepads were plentiful and replenished often by hotel staff.

Food - I had one conference dinner here and it was fine. I needed a non-dairy vegetarian meal and they were quick to accommodate my request with a tasty option to what was being offered to the rest of the group.

There is really nothing wrong with this hotel (other than the elevators) but I'm not convinced it is the best value around. But if you want the location it is an easy place to stay, and the staff are top notch. Just don't get a noisy corner room!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear pmcolorado,

Thank you for your comments and review. Of course, I am happy to hear that you did enjoy your stay, overall, but I do apologize that our hotel did not live up to your colleages' praise. To each his own, for certain, and I am happy to hear that your service encounters with our team were top notch. I do know that our elevator traffic can make for some lengthy wait times, but we certainly try to make up for this with our service and overall quality of the hotel. If our decor and atmosphere is not quite your taste, please consider staying at one of our other three Kimpton Hotels in the city, next time you are in Chicago. We each have our very own unique personalities, but the service standards will be consistent throughout!

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Palomar Kimpton was our second stay with a Kimpton property - our first, in Washington did not live up to expectations. The Palomar is a large, modern hotel, with staff who made our stay a memorable one. Our king bed room had great views from its corner location without being overly disturbed by the sounds of the city below.

Palomar is just down the road from the House of Blues, and over the road from the red-line train Underground and a Jewel supermarket. The Magnificent Mile is an easy 5 minute walk and food options abound.

Sleep quality was wonderful; so much so, we constantly slept past our usual wake time. Hotel amenities included a rooftop pool and well stocked gymnasium with terrific views. There's a restaurant attached (Sable) that services room based meals as well as in restaurant dining.

A Kimpton standard, there's a 5 to 6pm daily wine offered, and there's coffee and tea on offer each morning in the area.

Unfortunately there's no compendium of services in the room. Based on the options provided on our Washington stay, I knew to ask the front desk to provide a coffee machine for our room, and a kettle so I could make tea. The coffee maker arrived with pods, however you will need to provide your own tea bags if you want to enjoy a cuppa in your room, instead of the lobby lounge.

On the 11th floor, with a higher room number, don't be surprised if your room is not cleaned until after 3pm. That said, it is done quickly, and you can stretch out in the lobby with a chilled flavoured water to wait if you're done sightseeing by then.

We enjoyed our stay at the Palomar Kimpton in Chicago - while it is a large hotel, the staff are attentive and happy to help at all times. If you're in Chicago for a vacation or conference, I would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Splurge a little more for a city view and see if you can score a corner room - the additional window...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Poss62,

What a wonderful and detailed review! We are very grateful that you took the time to describe your visit and our hotel in such a kind fashion. Certainly sounds like you enjoyed your time with us and that you were able to relax and rejuvinate here at the Palomar Chicago. I wish you all the best in your future travels and I hope you will continue to choose to stay with Kimpton Hotels if your destination allows!

London England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here during a hot August and booked two rooms for my husband and I and our kids in their own room. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite overlooking the city! I loved the extra touches at this hotel - fabulous bath robes in animal prints, yoga mat and socks plus a wine hour in the lobby 5 -6. A really lovely sun terrace for relaxing late afternoon and wonderful pool! The staff were fantastic especially Robby and Mark on Concierge who helped plan our whole sightseeing week with tickets and advice! The position of the hotel is really perfect too! Would definitely return or visit other Palomars! My only complaint was there were only two elevators for the whole building and this often resulted in a long wait to get back to the room or go down - but only a minor thing!

Room Tip: A high up room overlooking the city - if you can bag a suite do so as they are really spacious and h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ali24,

Thank you for your kind praise of our hotel. We very much appreciate the feedback and I am glad that we were able to upgrade you into one of our suites. Most importantly, we are happy you were able to indulge in our little "Kimpton Touches." So sorry for the long wait times for the elevators. Unfortunately, we do not have much control over this issue, but I do appreciate your not letting it affect your overall satisfaction. We hope to see you again soon and safe travels to you, always!

Kindly,

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was so pleased when I visited Chicago this month to stay in the Palomar. I chose it because Klimpton hotels are so much fun--their happy hour is great way to end the afternoon. My room was clean and well-appointed...and ready early (I arrived at noon and would have been ok with waiting). The concierge was terrific--I wish I had written down his name. He got me a last minute baseball ticket, recommended restaurants that were perfect for me (I indicated I wanted something that wasn't quite 'a scene' and sent me to the very wonderful old Chicago Gene & Georgetti), helped me w/ my boarding passes, etc. Just great. My only quibble: those elevators. What a nightmare. I was nearly run over exiting by people rudely pushing their ways in. But overall, a treat.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the fire department. Those engines can be noisy for folks who aren'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Traveller300072,

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Wonderful to hear that you had such a pleasant experience and that we were able to assist with your activities and plans during your visit. Cannot go wrong with a classic like Gene & Georgetti either...So sorry for the near elevator trampling...Glad to hear that you're okay, though. Please come back and see us soon and I wish you a wonderful day!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We found this hotel on Trip Advisor and decided to book because of all the positive feedbacks we read. It was my wife's birthday and the Sari and Sam looked after us. We received an upgrade for our room and was pleasantly surprise to see a bottle of bubbly and strawberries with chocolate when we walked into our room. The room was huge, clean and modern. Throughout our stay, Sari took care of us and made us feel at home. Thanks go out to James, the concierge for handling our bags, providing direction and advice on where to eat. The attention to detail here made our vacation experience a memorable one.

Thanks Palomar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GCC_Toronto,

First off, allow me to wish your wife Happy belated Birthday! I am happy to hear you chose to celebrate it here with us at the Palomar and that your visit was a success. Thanks for mentioning Sam, Sari, and James as well. They were thrilled to read this and we all thank you for taking time to share your feedback. Feel free to make your wife's birthday an annual weekend visit here at the Palomar!...see you next year?

Kind regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!