“Beautiful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mokena, Illinois
“Beautiful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

As usual, Kimpton did not disappoint! Beautiful hotel with modern decorating style throughout. The room I had was immaculate and had great views of the city. Make sure you are a Kimpton In Touch member...free wi fi and other perks. Staff was wonderful and very friendly. Ordered room service coffee for between 8 and 8:30 am and it was there right at 8! Even though this hotel was in the middle of busy streets it was very quiet inside. Had a very peaceful night's sleep. Only downside is the pricey valet parking but think that is out of Kimpton's hands. If you don't need a car do not bring it. Plenty of taxis in that area and easy walk to great restaurants and shopping. Love Kimptons!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The higher floor you go the more of the city you see.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear DebbieInMokena,

Your wonderful review and kindness in your comments is very much appreciated. It is always nice to read when our guests are truly happy with our hotel and its services and associates. I appreicate you understanding on the parking as this is very much the standard price point in Chicago in this area. And you are absolutely right - River North is in a great location and walking is always a pleasant option if you are able. I do hope you plan to come back up to Chicago soon and we would certainly love to have you stay with us again!

Kind regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here in August with 9 and 11 year old in a one bedroom suite. The rooms were huge. The bedroom had a large dresser/tv area to unpack in. Big windows. The living room had a sectional that pulled out to double for the kids, plus extra chair, desk and chair plus large drawers. Two closets. The bathroom was exceptional - the Fuji tub was a plus. The pool is small but never busy when we were there. There is a small courtyard outside of it for drinks. Amenities were exceptional, concierge helpful, wine hour - nice plus. Location - 2 blocks from Michigan Ave, free trolley to Navy Pier (15 min walk), lots of restaurants nearby.

Joined the free loyalty program and had free Wi-Fi. Kids got a goldfish in room upon request, which is cute.

We rarely stay in the same location as there are so many places to try, but I will make an exception for Palomar Kimpton. Felt like a luxury hotel but with reasonable prices. Cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear mominOntario,

It is great to read how much you enjoyed your stay and how well you described our hotel and your accommodations. We very much appreciate your sharing such details with the Trip Advisor community and we are extremely grateful of your high praise. We do love kids here at the Palomar and I am glad yours enjoyed the goldfish. Keep in mind that any Kimpton across the country will be able to provide goldfish - this way you little ones can have a friend away from home, everytime they travel!
And, regards to your returning to the Palomar Chicago...we would like nothing more!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here in July and couldn't have been happier with our choice. We were lucky to get a corner room so had a great view of State Street below. The room was quite spacious, very clean and well air conditioned. The rate was reasonable also. The area is well served by the elevated train system although we chose to walk to most places such as the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Willis Tower. We did take the train to Cellular Field for a baseball game. The concierge also booked tickets for the river boat Chicago Architecture tour and we were in close proximity to the boarding point. I would love to stay here again on a return trip to Chicago.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Travel2k12,

Sounds like you enjoyed the full Chicago experience! We are happy to hear that your visit was a success and that you had a nice experience with our hotel as well. I wish you all the best in your future world travels and we hope to see you again here in Chicago again soon!

Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

There's not a lot I can add that others haven't already said. I stayed five nights for work, and it was just about a perfect stay: helpful, friendly staff; a spacious high floor corner room (just as I had asked for); great location; quick valet service and ready access to cabs. I also like that within walking distance there's a Starbucks, Whole Foods, a regular grocery store, and all the restaurants/cafes one would need while traveling on business. WiFi service was excellent, too.

My only disappointment was Sable; while it was good, for the price I paid I thought it would be a bit more impressive. The drinks weren't particularly strong, and the food was inconsistent: some things were fantastic, and others weren't.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very, very close to the elevators. If you're a light sleeper, make sure at check...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Amanda G,

Thank you very much for taking the time to detail your stay and give the hotel such high praise. I agree that this area of Chicago offers pretty much everything one may need or want while traveling for business - or pleasure. Regards to your dining experience, I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed, especially as Sable is one of the most well renowned restaurants in Chicago. I am 100% confident that if you were to return and give them a second chance, they would make certain that you enjoy everything and have a wonderful experience. We would love to have you visit us again and I wish you a lovely remainder of the summer!

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was our first trip to Chicago and first time staying at a Kimpton Hotel. We had an amazing time in Chicago, and an even better stay at the Kimpton. The beds were extremely comfortable, room was very clean and large. The best part of the stay was the concierge services though, outstanding, the best I've experienced yet. I would stay here again without hesitation, in fact, we might just return to Chicago so we can stay at the Kimpton again!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jeff W,

What a wonderful review! Thank you so much for your praise and feedback. I am so happy to hear that you were well taken care of by our concierges, Bobby and Mark. They are two of the best in the city and they love what they do. Moreover, I am thrilled to hear that your first experience with Kimpton Hotels was a positive one. If you did not do so during your visit, I encourage you to join our loyalty program, Kimpton InTouch. Excellent benefits and perks for every stay...We do hope to see you again here in the future, and welcome to the Kimpton Family!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, immediately behind the Nordstroms shopping mall that fronts Michigan Avenue. It is just a couple blocks north of the river. I paid extra for a "city view" room which was on a corner, and even though it was high up it still got quite a lot of noise. Next time I dont think I would bother, the view wasnt much and I would rather have peace and quiet.
The hotel rooms are at a good standard, wifi is free for members, as is an item from the mini bar. the service levels were pretty high and the concierge looked after me well. Its got a pool too which is an added extra for an inner city hotel. Overall i thought it was good, not great, but good.

Room Tip: street front rooms are noisy in chicago
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear David S,
Thank you for sharing your kind comments about your recent stay with us here at the Chicago Palomar. I'm sorry to hear that we fell just short of greatness for your visit, but I certainly understand your concerns about the street noise and proximity to such. In the heart of such a vibrant neighborhood as River North here in Chicago, one of the caveats is certainly the city soundscapes and energy. This is often an attraction to many, but also a detterrent to some. I am glad to hear that all other aspects of your stay were pleasant and I appreciate your comments about our high service levels. If you do choose to stay with us in the future, while it is difficult to find a room in our hotel that would be completely free of the city sounds, we would certainly do our best to place you in a room with limited outside noise, which would hopefully make for that perfect stay!

Kind regards,

AGM - Hotel Palomar Chicago
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was second time I visited Chicago. The first was on business and I stayed at this hotel, which I found great at the time. This second trip was with family (wife and 6 year old daughter) and at first I was in doubt as to whether the Palomar would be kids friendly but I decided to try it. Well, the experience was better than the first time. When we checked-in the reception was so kind to have a gold fish delivered (in a mini acquarium) to our room, my daughter was so delighed with the suprise. Rooms are nice, modern and spacious, and most importantly the staff makes every effort to please and serve you well. The concierge is great, they will not be at ease until they are sure they have helped you with whatever you need - a restaurant, a reservation to an attraction, etc. Don´t miss the swimming pool at the top during the summer, it is calm and refreshing. Finally the location is great close the the North River side.

Room Tip: look for rooms with city views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Southtraveller_12,

Thank you so much for your generous review. I am glad you were able to experience Kimpton from both a business traveller aspect, and then as a family-oriented hotel. We, as do all of our Kimpton Hotels, work hard to make sure everyone feels welcomed in our hotels, regardless of the reason for their stays. This is actually one of my favorite attributes of Kimpton Hotels, being both a business and leisure traveller myself. Regards to our concierge team, thank you for your kind words. They do work tirelessly to help our guests leave with having had the best experiences possible, depending on their trip purposes and desired agenda. I do hope that we will see you again soon - and whether business or pleasure, know that we will be ready for you with open arms!

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!