“Wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Myers, Florida, USA
“Wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Wonderful hotel. The room was well appointed and extremely quiet, I paid a little more for the larger room and it was well worth it. Also a plus: a good mattress (which is a priority for me). Excellent location. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Michelle R:

Thank you so much for your great review - we appreciate it and truly look forward to having you come back again.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked this hotel because we wanted a luxury experience at the start of our road trip, we were 2 couple, so we had a room together, 2 big double bed, and i had been onto the hotel befoxore hand, so we had robes and champagne on arrival, which was delayed 4 hours, a pain then, but claiming back.

We missed the wine tasting on the 1st night, so we just looked around had a few drink, and something to eat at a nearby brewhouse.

The next night we did make it to the free wine tasting, where we met Brad, he ask if we would like to go to watch the Chicago White Sox's, yes please, we are not baseball fans, but we are now, we were treated like the royals, and we even were let on the pitch.

Fab night, fab location, and the best hotel in Chicago, life is perfect, book now.

Lee Wood
www.pendlepictures.com

Room Tip: ask for a high floor room for the best view, and make sure you join the wine tasting. enjoy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Pendle P:

We can't thank you enough for such a great review - we are thrilled that we were such a big part of your successful trip to the US and especially Chicago, Illinois.

I hope we will see you again soon.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Honestly there is not a lot more a guest can wish in a hotel.
First of all the welcoming is great. Im an inner circle member and when i got in my room there were balloons, champagne and carrot cake.
The restaurant in the hotel is a fine modern cuisine. Rooms are very specious and clean. Location is great.
I give this hotel a 10/10. I was here for 2 nights and i would name this hotel perfection. I will be definately back!
Also thank you very much to the manager for the friendly letter in my room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a big bath!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Emmanuel V:

Thank you so much for your review - as an Inner Circle member I am so pleased that you have been truly satisfied with your experiences at our hotel.

We look forward to your many returns to our property.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough good words about this hotel and the wonderful staff- they impressed me enough to write my first ever trip advisor review!
My Fiancé organised a family trip for 20 people to celebrate a family member's birthday. He was in touch with Bobby the concierge many times prior to our trip by email and phone and Bobby could not do enough for us. He helped arrange a boat tour, a highlight of our trip. He narrowed down the restaurant picks for us (Gibsons, Wildfire and Lou Malnati's) and all were excellent choices for our group. He organised golf and car rental, so there was very little for us to worry about when we touched down in Chicago and left us even more time to enjoy this beautiful city. The other staff members always greeted us with a friendly smile too and were on hand to help with anything we needed.
The hotel's location is excellent. We walked almost everywhere as there are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby, and the shops on Michigan are just a few blocks away.
The swimming pool is a great bonus to have in a city centre hotel, and was particularly enjoyed by the two children in our group. We all took advantage of the happy hour too- wine, lemonade and pizza was a lovely way to relax after a hard day shopping :-)
I will definitely be recommending this hotel to anyone going to Chicago, and ask for Bobby when you get there!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Rachel G:

What an honor that we are your first :)

We are so thrilled to read your review - and we can only but agree about Bobby - he is an amazing concierge. Thanks for calling him out.

I hope we will see you again soon, and bring the whole family again.

Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This Kimpton Property is a great place to stay when visiting Chicago. We were greated by a very friendly and professional young man named Robby at the reception desk. He checked us in swiftly, and our room was perfect. We stayed 4 night and had a blast in Chicago. The hotel has a restaurant on-site called the Sable Kitchen. We ate there TWICE!!! We never do that, but this place was fun, and the menu had so many interesting dishes, it was wonderful having it affiliated with the hotel. It made it perfect for our last meal, as we didn't feel rushed to catch our flight home. The hotel rooms wer comfortable, and the beds were perfect. The housekeeping was friendly and wonderful being conscientious of when we wanted to sleep in. I highly recommend becoming a member of the Kimpton's frequent guest program, as you can do it free on-line, and it will get you free wi-fi, and it also allows you to raid the mini-bar for free for $10 worth of items during your visit in Chicago. They also have great shampoos and other accessories, so you really feel like you get your money's worth, and a great night's sleep. My only criticism for the hotel was the car valet service. It is best if you can do without a car in Chicago, but it can be hard to get around otherwise. This location is great, so it is doable with a metro stop just a block away, and the Miracle Mile is just a couple of short blocks as well. But the parking situation is expensive ($50 per night) with a 25% discount if you drive a hybrid. There was twice that we gave our info to get our car, yet nothing happened until we came down to the front and then they ran to the lot to get our car. I believe this is a third-party service that the Kimpton sub-contracts. They also were a little confusing as they changed our valet ticket number during our visit. With a very small driveway it also complicates it a bit. So it is really just a minor thing overall, and it wouldn't prevent me from staying here again. Cabs are easy to get and the hotel staff that did work curbside were great. The hotel also had hot coffee in the lobby until 11:00 a.m. in the morning and they had complimentary wine between 5 & 6 p.m. They are just a block from Shaw's Crab House, which is a classic seafood restaurant that I also highly recommend. They have tons of other eating options in the area from Hot Dogs to High End Dining. You might also check on the Kimpton website before booking, as we were able to score an excellent rate with their 3 year anniversary promotion.

Room Tip: We had a corner room at the end of the hallway, which gave us lots of window viewing and a quiet nig...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear George M:

Thank you so much for your detailed review - we are so glad that you had a great experience at our property and that Sable made you go back twice. We are extremely proud to have them as or restaurant partner.

Thank you also for your comments aboutour valet parking - we continue to work on getting them to improve their services, but with a smaller driveway there can be some challenges at times.

We hope to see you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I live in Chicago but really needed a change of scenery for a night. I had a hellish week at work (Travel Agent). I'm also just exhausted from caring for a sick parent for the past 12 weeks. I really needed a night to decompress. I called the Sales Department at the Palomar at 3pm on a Friday asked if they had any rooms for the next night all I wanted to do was soak in a tub and sleep, nothing like short notice on my part! They hooked me up with a King Spa Premier Room.

We arrived at the hotel around 4pm on what turned out to be a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Upon walking into the “lobby” we were greeted with a big hello and promptly checked in by Bobby the Concierge. We were escorted to our room #1104---let me tell you this room is the bomb!! I’m all about AWSOME bathrooms and this room did not disappoint, it had a great Fuji soaking tub and marble shower. The room it’s self was well appointed with a nice love seat, writing desk, small lounge style chair and king size bed. All very comfortable!

With in 15 minutes of our arrival a bottle of champagne was sent up to the room by Bobby~ a nice touch!

Since it was a beautiful day we decided to head out and take a walk. The location of this hotel was perfect as it’s ½ way between “State Street Shopping area”, “Michigan Ave Shopping area” and Millennium Park. If you’re a tourist you really couldn’t ask for a better location in terms of “sightseeing” and restaurants, very centrally located to all.

Other things to note about this property, the pool is on the 17th floor, the water was too cold for my taste. However the atmosphere rocks! It’s very “soothing” in terms of the lighting and I loved the piped in music, awesome selections! During the day I’m sure the view is good from either the “glassed” in pool or outside on the adjoining sun-deck.

If you’re planning on staying here I’d suggest you sign up for their “In Touch” program as you get free Wi-Fi and a $10 credit for the mini-bar.

I highly recommend this property if you’re in need of a hotel in downtown Chicago.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear travel925:

Thank you so much for the stellar review - we are so glad we were able to help you wind down a bit after a bad work week. Bobby is our super star - and he knows how to make someone have a great experience in Chicago.

We hope you will come back and visit soon - even though we hope it's under better circumstances.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

After a great experience at Kimpton's Phoenix Palomar, I chose Palomar Chicago for a nine day stay to attend a conference within walking distance.

The staff are surely what set the hotel apart. They are outgoing, attentive, helpful, friendly and gracious. And I appreciate that. The facility itself left a bit to be desired. The room was comfortable, but the alarm clock/radio/ipod dock was not in good working order and it required a bit of assertive negotiation to get it replaced. The hot water service was erratic -- definitely a problem in a room with a soaking tub. My showers on business mornings were OK since I was up early and managed to grab hot water before other guests. On the weekends, when my partner joined me, and we slept late, we had cold showers. The hotel attributed this to some sort of mysterious plumbing issue. Two days in a row, when I wanted to rest, this was not cool. Kimpton compensated with the refund of a night and a gift card for use at another Kimpton.

The bed and linens were just fine, as was the cleaning and room service.

All in a all a bit of a nondescript hotel in a midwestern city. I fear Kimpton, like Starwood's W brand, is becoming over-extended and possibly losing its "DNA." I remember the days 20 years ago when they had lovely re-done "shabby chic" properties in San Francisco. It is hard to translate that into a "prime time" experience in major markets across the country.

The hotel would score a point higher with m but for the hot water issue.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear amhjr:

Thank you for your review from your visit way back in November 2012. Thankfully the winter is over now and we are enjoying some fine Spring weather. I am sorry to hear about the troubles you had with hot water in your room. I can assure our TA community that any such issues were quickly fixed and are not a problem in May 2013.

Although I do not agree with you that our brand has lost some of it's "DNA", it is also true that we have evolved over time and need to keep progressing to stay relevant to today's market needs.

Once again, thank you for all of your feedback.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!