“LOVED this Kimpton property!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“LOVED this Kimpton property!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

First trip to Chicago but devoted Kimpton lovers! Incredible front lobby which smells like heaven when you walk in!! Love the free wine happy hour from 5 - 6pm and the coffee/tea in the morning. Concierge's Bobby and Mark were AWESOME!! They had answers to everyone of our questions and were so helpful and fun to talk to!! I would stay in this hotel again --- in a HEARTBEAT!! It was beautiful! We were on the 17th floor and could see Marina Towers from our room.

Easy walking distance to Michigan Ave, Millenium Park even the Hancock Tower.

Concierge can get you tickets for any event /attraction you'd like to go to and often at a discount. Bobby recommended a craft beer bar 2 blocks down --- and boy, was he dead on with his suggestion because it was AMAZING!

I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a 4* boutique property - and be sure to dine at Sable as well (small portions on some items) but incredible food!

Room Tip: 1721 was a great room - very comfortable bed. King Deluxe with city view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear C C:

Thank you so much for your review - we truly appreciate it. Thank you for calling out Bobby and Mark - they are truly the best of the best.

We hope to see you again soon.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Not only does the Palomar have a great location, it is a fun place to stay. From the Door Man to the Front Desk staff, everyone had such a great attitude...friendly and helpful. I attribute that to excellent customer service training. The rooms are well decorated and very clean. Although we didn't use the exercise room or pool, we did go up to see them and they looked very inviting. Wish we had more time to enjoy them. We attended the wine reception one evening. Both the wine and gourmet pizza that was served were very good. It was such a nice way to start our evening festivities. I made the arrangements to stay at the Palomar for a small reunion group and everyone kept thanking me for selecting such a great place. I can't wait to go back to Chicago and I will make sure I stay at the Palomar. I would not hesitate recommending The Palomar Hotel to anyone for a business or pleasure trip to Chicago. We are going to Boston this weekend and staying at another Kimpton hotel. I anticipate that our stay will be just as great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear DowneastDiner:

Thank you so much for the very generous review - we are honored with your Six Stars comment.

We are thrilled that you had so much fun while staying with us and that all the quirky things we do truly resonated with you.

We hope to see you again soon.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location, a couple of blocks from Michigan Ave and walking distance from Millenium Park. It's a somewhat small hotel - no concierge desk, only 2 elevators and a fairly minimal lobby. The rooms are fairly standard 4* hotel rooms, but there is just a little extra that the Palomar provides that its larger competitors don't. There is a wine reception/happy hour every night, there is coffee and tea service all morning. The lobby smells citrusy and is fresh and inviting. I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear TexasLady7509:

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate it. I am so glad you enjoyed all of the extras that set us apart from our friendly competitors.

Just to clarify for the TA community, we actually do have a concierge desk that is part of and right next to our front desk and has two of the finest concierges in town (that are often talked about on TA) - Bobby and Mark. Please make sure you ask for them when you are here.

All the best and see you soon,

Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I travelled to Chicago in mid-March for business. The Hotel Palomar is a welcoming and chic hotel within walking distance the Magnificent Mile and many wonderful restaurants. Sable kitchen was amazing with another great staff. The food is amazing, and it attracts a great crowd for happy hour. I travelled alone and asked the staff for restaurant recommmendations after dining at Sable. They did not disappoint! My room was clean, modern, and comfortable. I can be a bit of a bedding-snob, and the Hotel Palomar lived-up to my expectations. I highly recommend this hotel for a business trip or a sexy Chicago getaway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Leana S:

Thank you so much for the positive review - we truly appreciate it as well as the shout out to Sable our incredible Kitchen and Bar next door.

Take care and see you soon.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at the Palomar and loved it. It was our second time staying at a Kimpton hotel, and I can def. say I will seek out a Kimpton before staying at any other hotel. The service is wonderful and friendly. The hotel is very clean- you would never know it is pet-friendly. Could occasionally hear other guests in the hallway but nothing too noisy. Being that the hotel is in the heart of the city, there is a lot of traffic outside. And unfortunately it seems to be very close to a fire station, as we heard multiple sirens throughout the days (we were on the 14th floor). Being that I'm a light sleeper, the sirens and some thunder the first night woke me up. However I came prepared with ear plugs and had no problems after that. Being that this is a city hotel, you can't avoid some city noises, so I can't fault the hotel for this. We used the fitness center and I was impressed with the amount of machines/equipment they have- 3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, 2 bikes, free weights, weight machine, kettle/medicine balls, mats, jump ropes, hula hoops, plus- water cooler, towels, fresh apples and two bathrooms. The best hotel fitness facility I've experience, and it overlooks the city. Pool looked nice, didn't get to try it out though.

We had the King Spa Premier room and it was wonderful. Plenty of space, nice large jacuzzi tub with large separate shower. Beautiful room. We were lucky to have a corner room with two walls of windows overlooking the city.

Valet parking is expensive at $50/night, but parking throughout the city is outrageous. Had a great dinner at the hotel restaurant Sable. Try Weber Grill next door for an all you can eat breakfast buffet for $15.

Close walk to Magnificent Mile and only about 10 minutes to walk to the river.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cptacek1:

We are so glad you and your husband had a great stay with us. I also appreciate your fair comments about the city noises and valet parking prices. They are all part of the reality of a downtown experience and we try to manage them to the best of our ability.

As the weather keeps getting better and true Spring is almost here we hope you will come back and visit soon.

Nabi Moubayed
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Palomar (room 1011) and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. My "deluxe king" was spacious with lots of working space and a huge, comfortable bed. I heard little noise from other guests or from outside which made for a good, sound sleep. Unlike many other hotels, the flat screen TV offered true HD on most channels. My only beef was the inability to lower the room temp below 65 degrees (I like to sleep in a cold room) and the flooding in the bathroom if you don't very carefully draw the shower curtain tight to the back wall.

The Palomar is conveniently located on State Street which is only a couple of blocks from Michigan Avenue - perfect for visiting the city.

I found the staff to be extremely friendly and was thrilled by the tip given to me my the woman working registration when I checked in - sign up for Kimpton's free loyalty program and get free wireless Internet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear John B:

Thank you for such a great review. We appreciate it and truly hope you will come back and visit us soon.

White Rock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just stayed 3 nights at this centrally located boutique style hotel close to restauarants, bars, and super shopping along the Magnificent Mile. Clean rooms comfortable bed and very friendly staff. Thanks to the room attendant for finding my documents in the room safe and getting them to the front desk so I had them before departing for the airport.This hotel is a good choice for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: sirens from a neighborhood firehall were loud so a higher floor could be better a good choice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear howardsWhiterock_bc:

Thank you for your review. I am so glad we were able to help you out with your documents.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!