“Perfect hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 10-15%
Ranked #9 of 169 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Although it is a four star hotel it offers the finest service and rooms as a five star hotel would. Just doesn't have a spa. The receptionists are very friendly and go above and beyond in making your stay the best it can be. Ask for a higher floor number so you can get a better view of the city. The rooms are clean and modern. I chose to become apart of the kimpton rewards program to get free Internet. I'm glad I did as I have never heard of Kimpton hotels, and have already stayed in 2 more since. The best part of this hotel is that they offer a free wine happy hour everyday. That sealed the deal for me!

• Stayed December 2012
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear BostonianReporter:

Thank you so much for the stamp of approval - we are so pleased you have found Kimpton Hotels. We hope we can always be your first choice when you travel.

1,675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Love this hotel. They offer free wine and appetizers nightly from 5-6pm. I found the front desk friendly and the room relaxing. My only criticism is the fact they don't have coffee in the room. I didn't realize this until the next morning but they can provide upon request. The next time I stay I will make sure to request the coffee maker. The location was chosen because it was close to work but there are a number of shops and restaurants right outside your door. The room is spacious and updated. This is one of those great finds in the city. As one guy stated during happy hour, "I travel every other week and always seek out these hotels, why would I ever stay at a Hilton or Hyatt again". I agree, modern, friendly and convenient

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear wondertraveler40:

Thank you so much for your review. It seems you had a really great time in our little "oasis".

These days most hotels have coffee makers available upon request. We have found that over the years, many travelers don't really use the coffee machines in the room, so inseatd of having 300 coffee makers on hand, we have about 100 high quality Keurigs, so that you can always make a great cup when you have a machine delivered to your room.

We like your attitude - why stay at a Hilton or Hyatt when you could stay at a Kimpton. Thank you for your loyalty.

London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just returned from a fortnight's stay at the Hotel Palomar - experienced it as a tourist for the first week (with my wife and 18 year old son) and in the second week on business. It really is a very good hotel, very well located in a very safe area within a short walk of all the shops and restaurants you'll ever need. The rooms are very comfortable with the best beds and pillows I've ever slept on (you can buy them...yes even the beds...via the Kimpton website!). Housekeeping deserves a mention - the room always felt spotless. The bathroom was on the small side but perfectly adequate and whilst some might have a gripe with a shortened bath it made no difference to me. In-room amenities - wifi is excellent, the large HD TV, ipod doc, aircon, mini-bar etc...all first class. Front desk - always plenty of people ready to help and they go to a great deal of trouble to make sure you are happy. It felt a very friendly hotel, very well run by an excellent staff - exemplified by some nice touches like the daily 5pm wine get-together.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Forest1963:

Thanks for the stellar review - and we appreciate you spending so much time with us - makes us feel like you are part of the family. We certainly agree that our staff is super friendly, and they really do care if you are having a good time in our city - after all we are all about sharing the secrets of Chicago - where the locals like to go.

Take care and we hope to see you again soon.

Saginaw, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Rooms are spacious, clean, and very relaxing. The staff were super friendly. They even sent a bottle of wine to our room for my birthday. They have a wine hour from 5pm to 6pm. The also come around with food samples from the restaurant. The hotel is in a good location. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the king spa room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear lisann0212:

We are thrilled you had a fun birthday weekend with us - we love spoiling our guests. Let's make this an annual tradition.

Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Palomar is becoming our "go to" hotel for our visits to Chicago. Our daughter lives a few blocks away and so the location initially drew us to this Kimpton property. The comfort, the level of service and quality of amenities can't be beat. The staff at the front desk are always kind and courteous. The doomen and bell hops are quick and friendly with information or just a quick chat. I always feel like a welcome guest. The only negative comment I have is the pricing which at times can seem a bit arbitrary. My guess is that this is a common hotel practice but it can be irritating. I initially booked the room for a certain rate. I then checked the rate a few weeks later as I usually do, to make sure there isn't a better rate. Sure enough my same room was $50 a night cheaper. I was able to change the reservation. The reservation is cancellable up to 24 hours before hand. The day that I was leaving for Chicago I received an e-mail blast from Kimpton offering reduced rates for Spring. My room was significantly less using this offer but it was not within the 24 hour time frame so I was left with a bit of a bad taste regarding that. It's difficult to book hotel rooms and feel like you are getting the best deal possible without checking and re-checking which is frankly too time consuming. One other thing to mention, if you are driving to the hotel, which I do, the area in front of the hotel to pull the car into is tiny and at busy times, impossible to navigate. Can be a bit of a stresser. In spite of that, I highly recommend the hotel. I used to be a Sofitel person but have switched to Kimpton.

Room Tip: I usually book rooms away from the elevator and ice machine and now I know why I do that. I paid fo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Vicki000:

Thank you so much for your detailed review and for giving us some good honest feedback. We are so glad that you enjoy staying at Kimpton Hotels.

Additionally, i can understand your frustration with the difference in rates. As I always do, I try to explain to travelers that the hotel business is very dynamic, much like airlines and car rentals. We set prices on a very complex supply and demand algorithm. Prices change many times a day. We always try to match the lowest available rate that is out there. However, with that we must have some strong guidelines in effect or we would spend all our time calling people to either increase or decrease their rates that they have booked, after they booked them. Don't forget for as often as your rate may go down after you have booked, more often than not, it will actually increase, and so you feel good for booking and getting a better deal than the next person. Have you ever been on a flight with someone and asked them what they paid for their seat and they either paid more or less than you - the hotel business is not any different - and I a talking about world wide standard practice. I hope that helps explain a bit.

We sincerely hope to see you again soon. It woudl be a pleasure to meet you and say hello the next time you are in town.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We've stayed in hotels around the world and the friendliness of this staff matches the best. Great room. Clean, well maintained, attractive, very quiet. Loved the fun bathrobes and the attention to detail to ensure we had a pleasant stay. Perfect location within a block or two of the Magnificent Mile, good restaurants, and great shopping. We came for the opera but found so much more to do within walking distance or a short cab ride. We had to change our original reservation and had none of the problems traveler 484 describes. We plan to stay here again in March.

Room Tip: When you book, tell them what you like--quiet, high, view, etc., and they accomodate. We had a wond...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear lovestotravel505:

Thank you for your kind and detailed review of our proprerty. We appreciate it and also feel like this is one of the best spots in town - the location alone is unbeatable.

We hope you will come back and visit again soon.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Palomar, great location close to everything, didn't take a cab the entire weekend! Rooms are very nice, and we especially enjoyed the coffee in the a.m. and happy hour in the p.m. The staff was helpful and very friendly. Will stay here again when visiting the windy city!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Triptaker148:

Thank you for the review and we are so glad you had a good time in the center of it all. This is certainly a prime area.

We are so glad you will be back one day.

Take care,

GM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!