“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 10-15%
Ranked #7 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Where to start? The service from the doorman to the front desk to the housekeeping was top notch. These people are friendly and eager to make your stay perfect. The hotel is beautiful, clean and well kept, with a great location. The restaurant Sable is also very good, but very popular, so make a reservation a couple of weeks in advance. We could never get in for dinner so we opted for breakfast, twice!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear klgarcadia:

We can't thank you enough for your review - we are so pleased that you had a good time visiting us - we hope you will come back soon.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I love Kimpton properties. There, I said it. If a city has one, I try to stay in it! I have stayed at the Palomar in Dallas and Philadelphia, as well as other members of the brand in Chicago and Denver, so I felt like I had a good frame of reference when checking out this hotel.

I arrived a few hours before normal check-in time, but I was given a room ahead of schedule. Room 1615 was nice, but right next to the elevators. It really wasn't an issue, as I only heard a few voices here and there. I was upgraded (and upcharged!) for a 'city view' room, although it was only a view of a River North condo and the Rock Bottom Brewery across the street. Thinking I didn't get the full value of the upgrade there. The room was spacious, immaculately clean and the bed was amazing. As a rewards member, I was able to 'raid the minibar' - which is a nice touch. Kimpton hotels also offer you the company of a goldfish buddy. I affectionately named my friend Miguel - again, just a nice touch. Very pet-friendly hotel as well, and I saw several cute little pups wearing their most fashionable winter attire.

The hotel offers a complimentary wine hour in the evenings, and it seemed like 90% of the hotel guests showed up! They also offer coffee in the morning...just lots of nice little touches that set Kimpton hotels apart from many other brands. The view from the gym/pool on the 17th floor was gorgeous - and the gym had the same high-quality equipment as my gym at home. Check out the 'fresco' terrace by the pool - what a view!

The hotel is in an extremely safe, and busy, area of River North. A few blocks from the shops/dining on the Mag Mile, and also many options in River North itself.

While I enjoyed my stay tremendously, I do feel like there were a few small catches that kept this stay from being 100% perfect. The elevators were ridiculously slow and the noise from the local fire station can be a bit much in the middle of the night. Also, I ate at the hotel's restaurant, Sable, for breakfast, and while the food was very good, the service was a bit lackluster. My waiter stopped by exactly twice - once to take my order, and once to drop off my bill. Never inquired how my food was or if I needed anything else. However, another gentleman employee was very friendly and courteous - by delivering my meal, refilling my coffee, and making some small talk about the weather.

All in all, a fantastic stay in what must have been Chicago's coldest weekend of the year! I would certainly consider staying here again during a future visit and definitely recommend it to others as well.

Room Tip: Room 1615 was by the elevators, but actually pretty quiet. I didn't hear the elevators at all...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Islandgal:

Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough review - we are so glad you had a fun time with us and that you would come back - that's always sweet music to our ears.

In regards to a "city view" designation - we essentially have rooms that either face North or South - this building is very long and narrow - and all of the city view rooms are on higher floors with views of the Chicago surroundings. The room you were in is actually a bigger floor plan than most of the other designated city view rooms.

Thank you also for your feedback on the elevators and Sable. We always review those for corrective action. When we are sold out there are times when the elevators are slower. I often wish we had two more elevators in the building, but alas that is not how it was built.

Take care and we hope to see you again soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I keep thinking the Kimpton brand is going to trip up, but this trip gets a thumbs up. the Palomar in Chicago is a crisp hotel, in a good location. All my requests were taken car of, the staff was great, the room was clean and very efficient.
It's nice to have coffee available in the morning and a glass of wine on the manager at 5.
keep it up.

Dear Bobwphilly:

Thank you for the review - we so wish we could have earned the 5 star review - based on the comments we are not sure what else we could have done better - but we hope you will come back and give us another try.

Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at the Palomar for two nights over a long weekend. I was really looking forward to staying at the Palomar based on the reviews. It was my first venture into a Kimpton property, having mostly been loyal to the Hilton brands. Upon arrival on a Friday late morning, the door man and front desk staff were wonderfully kind and helpful. I was given a "quiet room" as requested. The room was nicely cleaned and had a nice view-I was happily on the 12th floor. The wine reception was very nice and my daughter and I enjoyed the hospitality. So, why am I not rating this a 4 or 5? Inconsistency. The night desk staff and doormen were a 180 from the day staff. Struggling in the bitter cold with bags after an evening of helping my daughter get items for an upcoming event at work, the doorman never even offered help-he had his back turned to everyone entering the hotel and appeared to be on his phone. The front desk staff never even looked up or made eye contact-not a good idea. They should be watching who comes into the hotel. The hot water in the shower took forever to warm up-then it went to scalding. The bed looked very comfortable, but after being in it for an hour my back was in agony. The mattress is very soft. When you get out, your body impression lingers for hours-and I am not a big person. Granted,this is a personal preference, so some may really like the mattress style. Having finally dozed off to sleep, I woke up an hour later to the crazy noise in the hall. The rooms have little to no sound proofing and you can hear EVERY conversation in the hall. My quiet room wound up being near two very non quiet rooms with teenagers running up and down the halls, knocking on and slamming doors. Guest services did their best and I do realize the hotel cannot be blamed for bad guest behavior. However, it is noisy anytime someone is in the halls.
The bottom line is this hotel has a lot going for it, but sadly my trip became one where I was actually looking forward to checking out.

Room Tip: The rooms with and 06-00 numbers at the end are far from the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear mjfromva040:

Wow - what can I say - it looks like we could have done a whole lot better - and I am so sorry that you did not have a really excellent stay with us. We would certainly love to have a chance to make this up to you - especially since this was your first Kimpton experience. I can assure you this is not typical for us as you can hopefully see from other reviews.

If you feel so inclined please contact me at nabil.moubayed@kimptonhotels.com and I will make sure we can set things right.

Have a great week.

Nabil Mouabyed
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Perfect place to spend a few nights in a beautiful city. Check in was a breeze and I had the pleasure of being upgraded to a King Spa Suite. Make sure that you sign up for their loyalty program as you get free wi-fi and $10 to raid the minibar. Large room with separate sitting area and impeccably clean. Loved the animal print robes. The location is prime for exploring the city and traveling for business needs. Ate a few dinners at the bar in the hotel, which is top-notch in drinks and inventive food. The bartenders were great and provided easy conversation.The only negative in my eyes was the laughable business center that not only charged for computer use but also charged for printing. Otherwise, a great boutique hotel with no fuss.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear dp203:

Thank you for the almost perfect review - it seems like the business center was the one thing that bothered you most about your stay. I am sorry that it was not up to your expectations. Just so other reviewers know, we do have a two computer business center that does have a charge with it, but does print boarding passes for free. Additionally, our front desk is always happy to help print out items for our guests if needed.

We hope you will come back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Staff is amazing! Very friendly and went out of their way to be kind and helpful. Kids LOVED the goldfish and robes for the night! The pool is beautiful and a wonderful escape in winter! We loved the wine reception in the evening -- complete with lemonade or hot cider for the kids! The room was beautiful and clean! Quiet! The restaurant, Sable, was absolutely wonderful -- very creative menu. Kudos to the chef! The location in the city is great -- close to everything!

Dear Tina H:

Thank you so much for your kind review - we are so glad the family and especially the kids had so much fun with us. We truly love having them here.

We hope you will come back and stay with us again soon (Spring Break?) and thank you also for giving a shout out to Sable Kitchen and Bar - our adjacent restaurant.

Europe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed only one short night but was really impressed with the room and service. After arriving in a horrible blizzard I was happily told to get a complimentary glass if wine on my way up to the room. Order room service off the menu from the restaurant and it was spectacular. The minibar credit helped with snacks for the plane the next day. Only downside was typical city noise from outside the next morning, even on the 8th floor. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear EuropeCosmicTravel:

Thank you for staying with us recently - sorry it was becasue of a blizzard - seems like a lot of people were caught in Chiacgo over that time.

We appreciate your feedback and hope we an see you again under better circumstances.

Al the best,

GM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!