“Attractive property, attentive staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 10-15%
Ranked #9 of 169 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lexington, Kentucky
“Attractive property, attentive staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We recently completed a four-day vacation in Chicago. The location is ideal for shopping, restaurants, and theater. More importantly, the staff is conscientious, welcoming, and attentive. We arrived late in the afternoon on Christmas day - within about 5 minutes, we were heading to our room. The staff sent my requested yoga bag up promptly, reminded us to come back downstairs for the wine reception, and made us comfortable and welcome. Even though the property was completely packed by Boxing Day, it felt quiet and peaceful. The bell staff summoned taxis for us quickly and I do not believe I opened a door for myself during the staff. The rooms are attractive and reasonably spacious, with comfortable beds and nice toiletries. The adjacent restaurant is very good - if they are packed, you can order room service from the same menu and have it delivered quickly despite a busy kitchen. We'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear SaraLZ:

Thank you for spending your Christmas time with us. We appreciate the feedback and are so glad we were able to make it special for you.

Happy New Year.

1,671 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just back from our annual holiday night in Chicago! The Palomar is awesome! We were in a suite which was the equivalent of a large downtown condo or apartment! Two bathrooms, bedroom, living area, pull-out couch, more room than we knew what to do with! Greeted by Brandon upon arrival who could not have been more friendly or helpful. The room was spotless, amenities above average and location can't be beat! Awesome bar, Sable, downstairs. Wine hour in the lobby, perfect! We will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Carlene J:

Thank you so much for the postive review - we are thrilled you had a great time with us and thank you also for calling out Brandon. He is a keeper. We hope to see you again soon.

Boise, ID
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Palomar hotel twice. The first time was in the summer of 2012 and we enjoyed it so much we booked a room there again in late December. The rooms are lovely, the beds are very comfortable and the staff is very accommodating. We have nothing but positive things to say in that regard. What we were unaware of until this last visit, was that this hotel is pet friendly. There are evidently a lot of people that travel with their animals during the holidays, and to be expected, some of the animals make noise.....unfortunately in this case a lot of noise. My husband (SteveSmithPhoto) posted a rather angry review regarding this. I just want everyone to know that management contacted us immediately after his review posted and not only made their sincere apologies but "made things right" with us. My husband felt badly he was unable to edit his post (due to Trip Advisor rules) to make people aware of the management's prompt and concerned response. This really is a great hotel with a great staff. We just want people to be aware that it is pet friendly.

Dear Junebdaylady:

Greetings from Chicago. Thank you so much for the detailed review you posted explaining the situation with your husband's review. We try to be fair and reasonable with all issues that arise but sometimes the best we can do is not always satisfying to some guests.

In any case, we wish you a Happy New Year and hope your travels bring you back to our hotel in the future.

Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We like the boutique downtown urban concept of the Kimpton hotels we've visited but that was shattered today when we learned the unpleasant fact that the downtown Chicago hotel at 505 State St. Is pet-friendly. I'm sure it's a money-maker for the corp but the last thing I want to hear outside my room, for the second time this afternoon, is a stridently upset barking little dog. Sharp, insistent barks that penetrate walls, elevators, and my consciousness. Really? Can't they go to Hampton Inn? I came here for a reprieve, not to be angered.

• Stayed December 2012
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear SteveSmithPhoto:

Greetings from the Palomar Chicago. After seeing your review, I am glad that our Assistant Manager Adam was immediately able to call you while you were still at the hotel. We wanted to be sure we could clarify any mis-understanding you had about the hotel and Kimpton Hotels in general. I think we both came to an amicable understanding. However, in order to clarify for the TA community I would like to state the following:

* All Kimpton Hotels are pet friendly. We do not charge any extra fees for pets and typically limit pets to certain floors in the hotel. If a guest has an issue with pet noises, and they inform us of those issues, we will always rectify the issue by contacting the owners to let them know that they need to return to the hotel to calm their pet.

* We welcome all guests to our hotel, especially families traveling with children, many of whom are toddlers. Again if there is a noise issue that we are told about, we can do something to address it. To our knowledge, no such issue was brough to our attention.

* Our main goal is to provide a safe, pleasant atmosphere for our guests to enoy themselves. Being in a vibrant, downtown area like River North in Chicago on a New Years Eve weekend, will mean that there may be a bit more activity than normal. Asking for a quiet room in the building is another way to perhaps mitigate some of that noise.

Once again thank you for your feedback and Happy New Year.

fort worth Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about Hotel Palomar! The front desk staff were the friendliest I have ever experienced in Chicago. I arrived early at 1130am to check in and my room was ready. The room was very comfortable; felt like home. The living room with fireplace and elegant decor is so charming and a great setting for the wine reception each night from 5-6 pm. Ordered room service for breakfast and everything was perfect. Try the lamb sliders at the Sable restaurant. The location of the hotel couldn't be better, it seems to just be in the center of everything for shopping, restaurants, entertainment, nightlife. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt very safe in the area. I will never stay anywhere else in Chicago!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear summertraveler71:

Thank you so much for the great review - and more than anything we are glad that you had a fun, safe, enjoyable time at our Hotel. I could not agree more about Sable Kitchen and Bar, our adjacent restaurant, they are truly unique and an amazing partner.

We hope you will do us the honor and come back and visit soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My experience at the Palomar was terrific! As, I walked in the front door I was greeted by Jean Luc. Jean Luc was very prompt with addressing and welcoming me to the hotel and Chicago. He offered to carry my bags and ushered me to the front desk. Then i was greeted by Bobby,JoAnn and Sari. Bobby is one of the most coolest and "On Point" concierge I've come across. I was impressed with his recommendations for things to do in Chicago. Loved It! I forsee a great career path in Kimpton for Bobby. Also, I want to thank Michael Reyna for upgrading me. Can't forget my breakfast server Mark in Sable Kitchen. Great service and food. Houskeeping Dept is "Fabolous" Overall my stay was flawless. Palomar Chicago "You Rock". I will be back.

Room Tip: Highly recommend king spa room. Very spacious, huge fuji tub, glass shower is awesome. The tub was s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mz_Carter23:

Thank you so much for such a stellar review - we truly appreciate it and are also so pleased that you called out the names of our awesome staff members - we are grateful to have them working with us.

Also, I could not agree more about our King Spa rooms - they are worth the upgrade.

We hope to see you soon.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Visited last weekend for an overnight stay. It's a beautiful hotel, the rooms are a nice size, and well appointed. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient at check in, as well as the few other staff we encountered during our stay. The room was clean and comfortable. I would suggest the Palomar to anyone looking for an upscale place to stay while in the city.

My only quibbles are small- when we arrived about 4 pm on a Friday there wasn't a doorman at all, which I thought odd. Their entrance doors are huge and heavy, so it's a little awkward trying to get in with your luggage by yourself. It might have been a fluke, as around 6pm Friday there was a doorman. Also, the phones in the room are cordless, which is neat, and we commented on them right away. However when we went to use them in the morning, neither worked. Lastly, room service breakfast was on the pricey side, $55 for two people. It was delicious though.

I would come back for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Cindy D:

We are so glad you had a fun weekend night with us and that you were able to enjoy the room and some delicious food from Sable Kitchen and Bar, our adjacent restaurant.

I am sorry to hear that the cordless phones were not working - we have made good note of that, as we always do our best to make sure everything in the rooms is working at all times.

Happy New Year and we hope to see you again in 2013.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!