“Can there be anywhere better to stay in Chicago?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   505 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Can there be anywhere better to stay in Chicago?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Visited Chicago for three nights following six days in New York.

Initial impression of the hotel was very positive with welcoming staff and great lounge space.

We were fortunate enough to have a one bed suite on the ninth floor. Good lounge area with floor to ceiling windows looking down the side of the hotel to the main road. Large bathroom with shower and great Fuji spa bath. Bedroom was lovely with big king sized bed looking out through a floor to ceiling window.

Restaurant was superb with high quality food and service to match. Turn up early or book as very popular with locals.

The swimming pool on the 17th floor was great to use on an evening and I had it to myself. Views over the city as you swim. There is an open air terrace beyond the pool which I suspect on a warm day would be a fantastic place to view the city from.

Hotel is very central for the main areas of Chicago. Once you get your directions sorted it was within easy walking distance of all key locations.

Chicago is a wonderful city to visit and it is hard to think that there is a better hotel to base yourself from.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for a suite... Awesome.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear MartinMW1963:

Greetings from Chicago and thank you so much for such a wonderful review. We truly do appreciate you going in to so much detail about the hotel, our restaurant Sable and the city. We love Chicago.

Please come and visit us again soon.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Have stayed here before, a little over a year ago, so was excited to stay again because of the pool and nice rooms. However, in this visit, I was not as happy. Pool was always occupied by kids, even at 7 am. There really should be hours for adults only to allow fitness swimming. More importantly, my sleep and working time was constantly disrupted by noise - loud banging and rolling noises from above, starting about 7 am.. I called the desk repeatedly and it was attributed to people dropping dumbbells in the fitness center, but I checked the fitness center, and no one was using weights. On another call, I was told it was a housekeeping space above my head. I don't know what they could have been doing over my head to sound like loud bowling balls rolling around, but I found it impossible to work in my room. After I called, the noise would stop for a half hour, and then resume. There was also alot of creaking and clicking noises coming from the wiring behind the desk furniture.. For $250 a night, the noise level was unacceptable.

I was also disappointed in the room service food. Fish tacos were dry and tasteless, and breakfast was either late or dry. With so many wonderful hotels in the immediate area, I will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMPalChi, General Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear NYerUWS:

Please allow me to personally apologize that you had such a challenging stay with us. We have taken all of your comments to heart and are actively working on figuring out the noise issue in your room on the 17th floor and whether or not restricted pool hours will make sense given the demographics of our hotel clientele.

I woudl be more than happy to personally discuss this matter further as I do believe in making the sitaution right. Please call me at 312-985-0761 if you would like to do so.

Radnor, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had an excellent experience staying at the Palomar Hotel in Chicago. It is very conveniently located and you can walk to many places. The hotel is quite new and well designed. The rooms are not large but more than adequate and the beds are probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Except for fire or ambulance sirens, the city sounds did not disturb our slumber. The staff were very friendly and especially helpful in getting us tickets or making arrangements for a marvelous boat trip on the Chicago River. Loved the wine and nibbles in the late afternoon!
Also enjoyed the restaurant for breakfast and dinner one night. There's an absolutely gorgeous pool up high and looking out over the city but unhappily we didn't have bathing suits!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ClaudetteColbert:

Thank you for such a tremendous review - we appreciate it when we are praised for the work we do with so much love and care. Although we don't always get things right our hearts are always in the right place and we hope that shows.

We look forward to having you back one day soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

AMAZING SPOT... Would definitely go back - with only 1 caveat:

The bed in our particular room (1516) was worn out and in desperate need of replacement. It was so worn that there were obvious divets, spoon-like depressions - on each side of the bed!

We notified the front desk and they arranged to have the mattress rotated. They also sent us a bottle of wine and waived the $50 late checkout fee. This was very nice.

Unfortunately, that still did not provide a decent nights sleep. We woke up with back & neck aches each day. While the staff attempted to be helpful, the only proper resolution to the matter would have been to replace the mattress or if that was not possible to move our room.

When we told the front desk how unhappy we were...they offered a $50 discount. We perceived this as an attempt to pacify us.

They asked what we felt would be reasonable under the circumstances. My reply: "If it was my business -- at least 1 night free plus I would offer the client a discount on a future visit to ensure we got a chance to right our wrong". In response, the clerk went to speak with the manager who came out to discuss the matter. In the end, he did credit 1 full night -- which was appropriate. Unfortunately, he did so in a very 'begrudging' manner, which did not make us feel very special or welcomed or appreciated. The clerk offered to get us a cab to the airport, while the manager did not even make eye contact, thank us for staying or wish us a good trip etc....

Notwithstanding this negative experience, absolutely everything else about the Palomar was STELLAR. Great location. Responsive friendly staff. Great room with lots of amenities. Highlight was the massive FUJI tub. We would definitely return, so long as we didn't have the lousy bed again :)

Room Tip: Ask for a high room. Check that you find the bed comfortable before accepting the room. Join the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Laurie G from my home town Toronto:

Thank you for your feedback - and I am so sorry that you had difficulties sleeping. We have taken a look at the mattress and remedied the situation. We apologize that it spoiled parts of your trip. Typically hotel mattresses are changed every 5 to 7 years, and we are only in year 3, so we will be talking to our manufacturer,

Thank you however, for being fair and also writing about some of the good things that happened. We appreciate that.

We hope you will give us another chance. If you feel so inclined, please contact me at 312-985-0761 and I will help set that up.

Folsom, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights and were treated like royalty. The hotel is fairly new (2 years old). It is in the middle of downtown, near everything. A ton of restaurants within walking distance. We had the 1 bedroom king room. It was amazing. It had a separate bedroom, a living area and a huge bathroom with a soaking tub with jets and air bubbles. Very very nice hotel. Comfy beds and pillows.

The staff is amazing. They treat you very well and are so sweet. They will do anything for you (within reason).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jenn H:

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review and for complimenting us. We love to hear all about the great things that we did and how we made you feel. We also love our location, it truly is in the middle of everything.

We hope to see you again soon.

Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We are big fans of Kimpton Hotels and the Palomar is no exception. The location is great, being convenient to Clark Street restaurants, Michigan Avenue shopping, the river, the Red Line and the Loop. And like all Kimptons we've stayed at, the Palomar has its own style, has a friendly and helpful staff, is pet friendly, has a wine hour each day, and is reasonably priced. (We used to stay at the Peninsula but now see no reason to spend all that extra money.). They really know how to do it right.

However, because each Kimpton has its own unique personality, we may try the Monaco, Burnam or Allegro the next time we are in Chicago depending on our itinerary. It's fun looking forward to a stay in a new one.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bic20:

Thank you for writing such a great review, we truly do appreciate it and take notice of all the feedback we get. We thank you for wanting to stay at all of our Chicago hotels - they are truly unique hotels all displaying their own personalities.

We can't wait to see you again.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Upon check-in the very gracious Palomar staff upgraded me to a pretty nice suite. I don't know what I did to deserve that but I wasn't asking. The suite was very clean and spacious, the bed was super comfortable and the jacuzzi was a blessing after a long day.

My only complaint was that the WiFi was pretty horrible and my plan to put in a few hours of work before an event went down the drain. Even after signing up for the Kimpton membership for free WiFi, it was just a nightmare. I ended up working on my BB which was very time consuming.

As a business traveler, Wifi is super important. I'm not sure if I could stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear DRoman:

Thank you for your review, but we are truly so sorry about the Wifi issues. It is surprising that you had such a tough time using it especially given the fact that we really had no issues with any other Wifi in the building at all, nor any other customer complaints. In fact our hotel ranks at the top of our internal survey rankings for Wifi quality. Sometimes, users do have firewalls from their company that prevent a successful connection. Once again, we are truly sorry.

However, I am glad that we were able to have you experience one of our suites and that you found the staff to be very gracious.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Been to Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!