“Classy, Elegant and Luxurious!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Mansion Suite for $129
Ranked #2 of 20 Chicago B&B and Inns
Highland Lake County, Indiana
“Classy, Elegant and Luxurious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed at the Villa D'Citta for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I wanted to stay at a place in Chicago that would be a nice retreat yet close to everything the city has to offer. The place met our expectations and then some. We stayed in the Grand Tuscan Suite and it sure was grand! Cathy and the staff is very courteous, down to earth and friendly all while being professional and full of information about the city. The kitchen was fully equipped with everything we needed for our two night stay. We felt welcome to come and go as we please and help ourselves to eat or drink at any time. Breakfast in the morning was delicious. Lincoln Park had great shops to shop at and restaurants to dine at. Parking on the street is free and we found a spot easily. The train stop was a short walk away and we were downtown in minutes. It has been a year and I cannot wait until we get a chance to go back to Villa D' Citta. This place, by far truly is the #1 B&B in Chicago and I am glad it ranks within the top 10 in the U.S.!

Room Tip: If you're looking to spend a romantic weekend with your loved one for your anniversary or just f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PineappleCathy, General Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your fabulous review and kind words about your stay with us. It was so wonderful to have you spend your special anniversary in our Grand Tuscan Suite!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed our breakfast offerings as well. We try to vary our breakfast offerings, with our Villa Blueberry Pecan French Toast and Asparagus Frittata being the big hits during the weekends.

Thank you for describing the Villa as being classy, elegant, and luxurious. While all of those, the main thing Is that people find the surroundings to be quite comfortable as well.

I look forward to your next visit! Kind regards, Cathy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We went to Chicago on a girls trip and loved the Villa. It was in a great location and the staff was extremely helpful. The house is gorgeous! We enjoyed the freshly baked cookies and the relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your "girls trip". With great shops and restaurants walking distance from the Villa, we are in a terrific location, while still being close enough to all the wonderful shops, restaurants, and museums downtown!

Come back soon! Kind regards, Cathy
london, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I booked from London to stay here with my daughter for my nieces wedding based on previous Tripadvisor reviews (thanks everyone else that left a review for the excellent guidance) and talked my sister into doing the same with her son. I stayed in the Florenzia Suite, a magnificent double bedded room on the third floor (lift available) and my sister stayed in the Ceasar and her son in the Capone. We we all thrilled with the quality and comfort of the accommodation.

However, what really sets the Villa D'Citta apart is the exemplary customer service of Cathy and her team. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, seems to much trouble for them. Every query, every request (and unfortunately I had way too many!) was met with an unfailingly polite and positive response. They ironed out potentially anxious situations with a calm, supportive professionalism that I can only admire and for which I was truly grateful. The Villa D'Citta well deserves the accolade of the #1 Bed and Breakfast in Chicago. Thank you all so much for everything.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
PineappleCathy, General Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of your recent stay with us at Villa D' Citta, and for thanking the others before you who had also written reviews of their stay at the Villa. I often comment to our guests that reviews help people find us, and in your case that was certainly true.

Our goal is to always provide exceptional customer service, and to that end I am happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations! Whether it is helping one plan their Chicago itinerary while they are in town, or simply making a restaurant reservation, we aim to please.

It was so nice to meet you and the other members of your family, and I do hope that when your travel brings you back to Chicago, you will stay with us once again.

Kind regards, Cathy
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Our two night stay was beyond what we were expecting. The staff at Villa d'Citta could not have been nicer or more helpful. It is close to the Thorndale subway stop and easy to get anywhere. We rented a couple of their bikes and rode downtown via the Lakeshore Drive bike path. We stayed in the Venetian Room which has a walkway right out to the hot tub; what more could you ask for?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PineappleCathy, General Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Bellissima! It was such a joy to have the two of you stay at the Villa this past weekend. With the two of you being such avid cyclists, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed renting our bikes to tour the city. It is a great way to explore the different neighborhoods, or even just ride along the lakefront.

Yes, our hot tub is quite popular and is used by our guests all year round. I am glad that you enjoyed sitting in the hot tub while gazing at the stars on a clear Chicago evening!

One minor correction--we are closest to the Fullerton El (subway stop) for the Red and Brown line, and not the Thorndale stop as you had indicated. Thorndale is further north.

You mentioned that you might come back and see us in February. I look forward to your return visit.

Kind regards. Cathy
Plymouth, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife did an internet search for B&Bs in the Chicago area and ran across the Villa D’Citta. And what a good find it was.
We have stayed in many B&Bs around the world but few as elegant as the Villa. It is in an old mansion in the Lincoln Park area, just around the corner from DePaul University. The Villa is full of beautiful art work, some of it a bit quirky. Cathy, the accommodations director, is completely charming. Though our room was not ready when we arrived, we were very early, she gave us the quick tour of the inn. Most interesting is the open kitchen where guests are free to use the refrigerator, help themselves to fresh fruit and make their own Panini sandwich using l the supplied fixings. This inn is among some of the most well maintained and clean we have stayed in.
Being in Lincoln Park, it is a short walk to the zoo, Old Town and my favorite Goose Island Brewery. The museums, Magnificent Mile, riverfront etc. are a bit further but the inn is about two blocks from the red line station and a two buck, 10 to 15 minute ride gets you there.
OK, some nothing is perfect but this place comes as close to it as possible. However if you are not into B&Bs there are some things to consider. Now before I go any further this should NOT be considered criticism but merely what one needs to expect before going.
It is an old home in an old part of the city. The window in our room opened to a brick wall of the building next to us. In fact we could almost touch it. This was the way city homes were done at the time this place was built. Windows were for ventilation and light not vistas. Our room (Euro Room) did not have an attached bath. It did however have a very large private bath a few steps away from our room door. My wife missed this when she made reservations but we did know this prior to arrival. A small inconvenience. A neat thing was the electric fireplace in the room for a nice atmosphere.
Again, this is in the city so expect some street noises and sirens. The stairway, as elegant as it is somewhat steep and narrow by today’s standards but there is a small elevator for those in need.
One thing that I found interesting was the drinking glasses. They are mason style jars. A bit out of place for an inn as elegant as the Villa but certainly added to the whimsy. Oh and did I mention these glasses are used for the complimentary wine too.
This is simply not a modern hotel but then that is not what we look for. It is an elegant mansion, with some modern conveniences. So, would I recommend staying here? Well if the fact that we were just there last weekend and we are already looking for an excuse to return doesn’t say it then YES is the answer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you so much for writing such a detailed review of your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to meet the two of you, and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Villa. Guests like you frequently comment on our convenient location as we are indeed walking distance to some great shops and restaurants while also being very close to the subway stop to get you downtown in minutes.

Thank you for also pointing out the uniqueness of staying at the Villa as compared to a traditional hotel.

I am so glad that you wish to come back to stay with us again, and I look forward to your return visit.

Kind regards, Cathy
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed at Villa D' Citta for a long weekend and had a great time. The location was perfect, with plenty to do nearby and just a quick cab ride to the city. We found our room to be quiet and romantic and we had everything we wanted. The staff was also very helpful and knew everything we wanted to know about the city and where to go. I highly recommend this to anyone coming into town for pleasure or business.

• Stayed November 2013
"Most amazing B&B!" -- high praise indeed, and your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you also for commenting that you found it helpful our being able to point you in the right direction with various tips on what to see in Chicago. I consider the "concierge" component of our role here at the Villa to be very important with respect to helping guests enjoy their stay, and I your comments acknowledging our efforts in this area are greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your staying with us again in the future! Kind regards, Cathy
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed at Villa D'Citta last week for the fifth time. I have stayed at the Villa for both business & pleasure. I am never disappointed. My wife & I prefer staying at B&Bs, but many B&Bs lack privacy. The Villa is very quiet, and we always reserve the room with a private bathroom. The accommodations are spacious and cozy. Kathy, the caretaker, is very attentive. She greeted me immediately, and she had my room ready. She served a delicious breakfast in the morning. The Villa is in a great location in Lincoln Park. Restaurants and Chicago night life are very accessible.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PineappleCathy, General Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Wow! You have stayed with us at the Villa 5 times, and you still enjoy staying with us---thank you for appreciating all that we do to make sure that guests are quite comfortable from the beginning of their stay until they depart.

Yes, the Villa is in a great location with tons of great shops and restaurants nearby!

I look forward to your next stay with us. Kind regards, Cathy

Been to Villa D'Citta? Share your experiences!