“Luxury and location, what more can you ask for !” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Mansion Suite from $129
Ranked #1 of 20 Chicago B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Luxury and location, what more can you ask for !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Villa for three days in August, and it was a fantastic location! Only a mile to the zoo and lakefront. We were able to go watch the Chicago Air Show both Friday and Saturday on the lake, and walk to Stepphenwolfe Theatre for a play. Many nice restaurants nearby, to include a simple burger, or even a fine Italian meal. Cathy made us feel very welcome, and had great suggestions when we needed advice on navigating the local area. A great location, amazing luxury mansion, and great customer service... there was nothing more we could ask for. We've stayed at many nice downtown Chicago hotels, and I can't believe we didn't discover Villa D' Citta sooner. There is no comparison to staying in the privacy and comfort at the Villa.

Pros: Luxury mansion... Wow! Walk to Lincoln Park Zoo, the Theatre, the lake and restaurants. Hot tub on elevated sun deck .. another Wow!
Cons: Parking in this popular neighborhood takes some patience if you want to park on the main street. Cathy has a garage available at the property for a fee (well worth it), but we found a free parking garage about 3 blocks away at the old Childrens Hosptial (which is now closed, but the garage is now free).

Thanks to the entire staff, and a big thanks to Cathy!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Euro Room. The bathroom for the Euro Room is right next door via the hallway and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PineappleCathy, General Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
It was a pleasure to meet both of you. I was impressed with the fact that although you would "wing-it", as you decribed planning your vacation days, you certainly got to do a lot while staying at the Villa. I'm glad that you enjoyed renting our Villa bikes as well to explore the neighborhood. Yes, the Villa is in a great location with terrific shops, amazing restaurants, and wonderful theaters.

It was great that you also used our new Villa computer to plan your day, check on the daily weather forecast, and find interesting places to explore. Thank you for your kind comment of my providing you with good recommendations of restaurants and things to do in the area. I take the "concierge" part of my role very seriously, as it contributes to our guests' overall enjoyment of their stay. That being said, it was my pleasure to provide you with tips on local treasures!

Finally, I am glad that you enjoyed our Villa cookies. It was a kick to see you have a cookie or two after your explorations and before you relaxed in our outdoor hot tub.

Come back and see us again soon! Kind regards, Cathy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My family, from all corners of the US, rented the entire Villa because we were in Chicago for a wedding, held off-property. All 12 of us being together in one house made it like a family re-union. My spouse and I had stayed at this lovely property on an earlier occasion and thought it would be perfect for our group.

The elevator is a big plus, as we had a person in our party that had surgery recently and the stairs would have been a problem.

The Villa decor is a meld of dramatic, Euro, Tuscan, modern, speakeasy. What a welcome relief from the ubiquitous pink cabbage roses, lace and quilts found in just about every other boring Victorian B & B. There are antiques here, but also lots of earth tones, beautiful stone, tile and dark woods, and faux fur! All the bathrooms are of recent vintage, with great showers and fixtures.

There is a fabulous professional-quality kitchen, which we used for a couple of eat-in meals. Also a walled courtyard in the rear provides an intimate and private spot to visit out-of-doors.

Our experience far exceeded expectations. All of our family-guests loved staying at the Villa.

Thanks to Cathy, the Manager/InnKeeper, for most excellent assistance from the preliminary rental contract through our weekend stay and also follow-up. She is a true professional and wonderful to deal with. She answered all our questions, called before our stay to make sure that everything we needed would be taken care of. She was articulate, kind, and thorough. Also, the two housekeepers were very polite and helpful.

I will definitely suggest this to others as a terrific place to stay when in Chicago. Lincoln Park has it all: boutiques, restaurants, charming parks, walkable streets.

Note for family groups: not recommended for young children. Guest in their late-teens to 90's will love it.

Room Tip: Least favorite: The Euro Room is pleasant but small and does not have an en suite bath. It has a &qu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PineappleCathy, Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments regarding your stay at the Villa. It was a pleasure having your family here and I enjoyed meeting all of your guests. Yes, the Villa is a great venue for family gatherings, weddings birthday parties, etc., and I am happy that while you were here you celebrated both a wedding and a very special birthday for one of your guests.

Thank you for your comments about the Villa's decor. Much thought has gone into selecting the right pieces of furniture, art work, and antiques, to give the Villa both an elegant yet comfortable feel. We are also pleased that folks find our elevator to be an unexpected bonus in our beautiful Greystone.

Finally, I greatly appreciate your kind words about your experience working with me. It was truly my pleasure, and I look forward to your next stay with us at Villa D' Citta! .
Maryland,USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We came up for my grandaughter's 1st B Day.
The B&B was picked for location .
We loved our stay there.
It really was a perfect weekend.
I would love to rent the whole house out next time!
Thank you Cathie for taking care of us

Room Tip: FYI -They do have an elevator mainly for luggage even though our friend did get in and use it It de...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your kind comments. I totally agree that the Villa's location is ideal in that we are walking distance from the subway (the El) which will get you downtown in less than 15 minutes, and yet we are in a lovely residential area walking distance from some great restaurants and shops!

Looking forward to your next visit, and perhaps your even having the entire mansion for a family gathering as you indicated.

It was a pleasure to "take care of you" during your stay. Kind regards, Cathy
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

It turns out that the beginning of August is the peak tourist season for Chicago. Hotels within the city are fully booked. Rooms, when available, tend to be hundreds of dollars. Given the cost of hotels, I turned to looking at B&Bs (my preference in less urban settings) for alternatives. Villa D’Citta was the top rated in TripAdvisor. The Grand Tuscan suite was available at $399/night. Given that two of us were sharing this two-bedroom suite, we thought this was an outstanding alternative to the hotel offerings.
This is not a typical B&B. The owner is not present and not identified. Instead, the very warm, exceptionally professional and gracious Kathy is there to greet all guests at all hours. She also bakes treats and morning specials on the weekend. Also different from the standard B&B and a great benefit – the gourmet kitchen and all of its items (including what is in the frig) are available to guests. This is a wonderful when one has missed lunch because they have been busy or want a snack or cup of tea at the odd hour.
The B&B is very upscale with deluxe finishes. Parking is available if you reserve ahead of time for the few spaces. Wifi is free and very fast. There is an elevator or one can use the stairs.
The neighborhood, Lincoln Park, is wonderful to explore. Lincoln Park is lively and urban. Yes, it can be noisy but in the way that one expects in an urban setting. Great local restaurants. In addition, it is only about a five minute walk to the L, giving you full and easy access to Chicago.
Some considerations on the Grand Tuscan suite (and it is a grand/huge suite) – the bathroom is lavish with a walk in shower with multiple shower heads and a deep soaking Jacuzzi tub. Note that the shower floor can be slippery. The toilet is in its owned doored area within the bathroom. The main bedroom was over the top, with a sitting area and fireplace. The lighting is muted and not ideal if you want to read a book. The light switch for the second bedroom is in the suite’s hallway. Great amenities, with fluffy towels.
Villa D’Citta is a wonderful option for staying in Chicago, especially for people who want something different than a standard hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your wonderful review of Villa D' Citta. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree that the Villa offers an excellent value in comparison with other lodging choices, particularly in light of the complimentary amenities provided in addition to the daily breakfast offerings. Yes, the panini machine gets a lot of use and people enjoy having a sandwich either for lunch or as a midnight snack with our cookies!

Lincoln Park is indeed a vibrant area of Chicago, but I am happy that you were able to explore a number of our museums androids while you were in town. You certainly mastered the El routes during your stay.

I hope that you travels will bring you back for another stay at Villa D' Citta in the future! Thanks again, Cathy
Bolingbrook, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed in the Venetian suite and rented the back portion of the house for a Hollywood Red Carpet graduation celebration for myself. Kathy, the house manager was the best and most professional person I've ever worked with when it comes to accomodations. She was concerned about even the smallest details in our party to make sure that it was a success. When I first walked into the venue after searching on websites for boutique mansions in the area, I came across this place. When I walked in, I was in love. Luxury, elegance, royalty and any other similar name would be a great summary of the experience. If I could rate this place a Double 5 Star, I would. Beautiful place, great people, lovely atmosphere. Rather it be for an event or an overnite stay, you can't go wrong. The Villa D' Citta is it! Breakfast the following morning was also spectacular. Loved every bit of the experience.

Room Tip: The Venetian Suite offers direct access to the jacuzzi.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
When you put on a party, you really pull out all the stops! I am so happy that you chose the Villa for your "Red Carpet" graduation celebration. It was a pleasure working with you to help you achieve the party that you envisioned!

I know that you searched the the web for a special venue, and am delighted that you immediately fell in love with the splendor of the Villa when you first toured the mansion with me. To that end, I always invite people to tour the Villa, as the pictures on our website, while wonderful, don't fully capture the Villa's elegance.

Many people when hosting a party at the Villa stay at the Villa either before or after their event, and so I am glad that you were able to stay in our Venetian after your party.

It was so nice to meet you, your friends, and your family, and I look forward to your next stay with us! Kind regards, Cathy
Peachland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

A brilliant place. Extremely comfortable and peaceful. Cathy the operator is working this beautiful Villa perfectly. My wife and I stayed in Chicago for 7 nights. 2 downtown at the Inn of Chicago and 5 at the Villa just outside of Downtown. Lincoln Park is a wonderful place. There are amazing restaurants right down the road and all sorts of shops. You can walk to the beach or take a bike if you like, or a 2 minute cab ride. Cab to downtown is $15 and there is a train/transit station right down the road that will get you to Soldier Field, US Cellular and or Wrigley field easily. The Villa is the perfect basecamp with the comforts of home and the staff are great. It's great writing a review when you had such a good time. If your visiting Chicago this very could well be the BEST BnB in the very large city. Enjoy your stay if you go.

That's it That's all!! If we are back in Chicago we will be staying there.

Cheers

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PineappleCathy, Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
It was so nice to meet both you and your wife, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Villa. I am glad that you thought of the Villa as a great "base camp" for all of the activities that you enjoyed while in Chicago. I was quite impressed with the variety of things that you accomplished while in town.

Thank you for your comments about the Villa's staff. We take pride in what we do, and we do our best to make sure that our guests feel quite at home while at the Villa.

Yes, Lincoln Park is filled with great shops and restaurants, and our guests enjoy being able to walk to the zoo, and renting our bikes to ride all over town.

I look forward to your return visit when your travels bring you back to Chicago. Kind regards,
Cathy
Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the beautiful bed and breakfast with my sisters. We stayed in the Florencia Suite. The room was perfect for the three of us. The only problem we had was connecting to the wifi on the third floor. We had no trouble connecting in the common areas on the first floor but we couldn't keep the connection when we went to our room. The staff was super friendly and informative! We also loved the location. There are lots of boutiques for shopping and some good restaurants nearby. We also loved being by Lincoln Park. We went running/walking each morning and the park is just a few blocks away. I plan on staying here again with my husband when we visit Chicago.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Villa D'Citta? Share your experiences!