“Shopping bag thrown away.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercadito

Mercadito
108 W Kinzie Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)
312.329.9555
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mercadito is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #666 of 8,382 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Kinzie between N Clark and N La Salle
Transit: Merchandise Mart stops Purple and Brown Line and 156 Bus LaSalle.
“Shopping bag thrown away.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

What a night! In a tiny bar, our party of two waited two hours to be seated. Then as i wiggled my way into a tiny two seater, spilled water on myself. The final, worst part of the night, was I left my shopping bag behind. Left the restaurant for 5 min and came back to find it in the TRASH! How horrifying for a restaurant to throw away a customer's possessions. Shame on you. On the only positive note- the Carne tacos were delicious.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Turkish first
La Grange, Illinois
“Overpriced tacos; stuffy, snobby clientele; PLUS A TIME LIMIT? Never going back again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The tacos are very good. They just put them on fancy dishes, but they're not worth 15 dollars for four! The restaurant decor is nice, but they play top 40 music at a mexican restaurant. The place was fully of snobby people and women that just got plastic surgery. Worst of all, if you have reservations, for example, at 5:30, they tell you you have to leave at 7:30. I don't think I'll be going back there.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Northbrook, Illinois
“Yummy food and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We recently visited Mercadito on a Sunday night. We have been to this restaurant many times and always like it. We ordered a trio of guacamoles- the elote, the mango, and the poblano. Each were tasty and served with chips. Next we ordered two salsas- the chipotle and the tomatillo. These were actually disappointed. They were too sweet, pureed, and runny. The tacos were delicious, especially the mahi mahi and the carne. The wait support staff routinely cleared our dirty plates and brought fresh ones without us asking. I really like this restaurant but find it a bit pricey.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Golden Valley, Minnesota
“Something has changed and not for the better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've been to Mercadito numerous times and this was by far my least favorite experience. The food was outstanding, as always, so no complaints there. We went on a Tuesday night and the music was so loud we could barely hear each other. I eventually lost my voice because I had to practically yell throughout the meal. The server was aggressively pushing us from the moment we sat down to the moment we left. It got so ridiculous with the number of times he came to the table that we finally just told him to order whatever he wanted for us. Despite the fact that I love their food, this is likely the last time I go to this restaurant.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, IL
“Cool restaurant, just not for families”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My 2 kids, husband and I arrived early, and were seated in the front corner, in what felt like a bar area. As the restaurant filled up, our area remained empty. We couldn't help but feel like second class tourist citizens despite the drinks, appetizer and dinnesr we ordered.
The small plates were, well, let's just say they are aptly named, and very expensive. The only saving grace of the meal were the corn masa quesadillas, which were absolutely delicious.
I had been looking forward to trying this restaurant for quite some time, and it couldn't have been more of a disappointment.

• Visited March 2013