“A new favorite hotel in Chicago!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Greensboro, NC
“A new favorite hotel in Chicago!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

We usually stay at the Peninsula when we visit Chicago, but one of my partners saw the hotel under construction last fall and got a tour and then my son stayed there this summer on business. Based on their recommendations, it was with some trepidation that we made our reservations for the Elysian, forsaking the incredible Peninsula Hotel.
We were upgraded upon registration to a Suite with a fireplace and a tiny balcony (but a balcony, nevertheless!). The staff was outstanding, from the building engineer repairing the fireplace that wouldn't light, to the housekeeper that came by to check to see if everything in the room was fine. When my wife asked for a coffee maker and some decaf coffee, the pot, coffee,and fresh cream were delivered in a matter of a few minutes. We were impressed by the rapid responsiveness of all of the personnel. The individual treatment surpassed the incredible service at the Peninsula, which is hard to do. I was personally escorted to the ATM machine in the business center when I asked for one. I was not about to just be directed there.
The Elysian also has a "no tipping" policy, with the staff politely saying "my pleasure" when offered a tip, and holding their hand to their chest. They mean it when they say no tipping. In addition, the staff seemed less formal but equally professional as compared to the Peninsula. I preferred this attitude, although I am not complaining about the Peninsula staff. My wife said they just seemed more "enthusiastic", whatever that means, but I understood.
I commented that it was absolutely quiet, even though we were on a lower floor (12th). The room was very spacious, well laid out and the bed was exactly what I prefer. The bathroom had a gigantic shower, with a nifty little niche in the wall where you could place your foot so that your leg was at the perfect angle for washing. Amazing attention to detail!
My wife did comment that the absence of hooks for towels and washcloths near the shower was a mild annoyance.
My only complaint was the alarm clock was a elegant old style battery driven clock which could not be seen with the lights off, and no way to see it without turning on a room light.
Each floor of the hotel seems to only have 8 rooms, so it is very quiet. In addition, getting in and out of the hotel and on your way takes about 1 minute, as opposed to the circuitous route to leave the Peninsula, as elegant and interesting as it is.
We didn't sample the restaurants, but we were informed that Via, the main restaurant, just received two Michelin stars in November, not too shabby!
My wife used the Fitness Center and commented that it was the nicest she had ever used. It has a lap pool, sauna, and the latest equipment.
The high speed internet was free (it really irritates me when a luxury hotel charges for internet when the Days Inn across the street gives it to you free) and very easy to log on to.
My compliments to the staff and the management. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

My nephew gave me a gift certificate that he had received from the hotel while in New York during fashion week. I live in Chicago and had no idea that the hotel was here. My husband and I stayed for a night and I had a massage in the spa. What a wonderful experience!! Our room was very nice but what I really loved was the spa experience. My massage was great, and I could easily see going back again. My only problem with the bed is that it isn't a Sleep Number, which is what I'm used to. Other than that, everything was great!

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

I recently stayed at the Elysian for an early holiday weekend with family on the recommendation of this website. It was the absolute best hotel experience I have ever had. If I had to summarize the stay in one word it would be: magical. Thank you truly to the entire hotel staff. We will be returning soon

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

The Elysian is excellent in every way but particularly distinguishes itself with its outstanding head concierge Peter and his team. Not only did they recommend perfect restaurant and club choices, they helped with a technical problem, then chased down a lost credit card, and anticipated changes in our schedule. Absolutely the best service I have ever enjoyed at a luxury hotel. The only place to stay in Chicago for us!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

Just a truly spectacular hotel. From the front desk to the fitness facility, everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful. When our room wasn't ready at check in, they upgraded us to an available suite without a moment of hesitation. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and the decor throughout the hotel was magnificent. And to top it off, the donuts and hot chocolate/cider offered outside in their courtyard as an afternoon treat on a cold Chicago November day will keep me coming back to this hotel.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

This was truly the best experience I have ever had at a hotel. My fiancé proposed on Friday morning and surprised me with a trip to Chicago to celebrate. He chose the Elysian based on the excellent online reviews, and we were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived, the service was impeccable. Everybody who works at the Elysian is so friendly and warm, which is sadly often not the case at other upscale hotels.

During our stay, we did not come across one staff member who provided anything less than excellent service. Upon checking in, Nicolette, the Guest Services Manager, asked whether we were celebrating a special occasion, and we mentioned our recent engagement. When we returned to our room later that evening, there was a chilled bottle of champagne and delicious macaroons waiting for us, which was such a classy and nice gesture. One night, our carbon monoxide detector went off because the batteries were low, and when we called the front desk, they had someone at our room in under a minute, I kid you not. They were also profusely apologetic for the inconvenience. When we were leaving to go to the airport, we mentioned that we were going to take the El to O’Hare, and before we knew it, somebody at the front desk had called one of the house BMWs to whisk us to the Chicago blue line stop. We also signed up for the deal where we got free breakfast each day (room service counts), which was incredible. These are just a few examples of the little touches that occurred throughout the weekend and made what would have been a great trip an incredible one.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention how gorgeous this hotel is. From the moment you walk through the front door, you are greeted with perfect décor, and it just gets better and better. Every single area of the hotel that we visited, from the courtyard to our guestroom to the spa and gym – even the hallways, elevators, and public restrooms – was simply stunning. Our guest room (we stayed in an executive suite) was gigantic and amazing. It had a total of three flat screen TVs (one IN the mirror in the bathroom), a fireplace, a huge bathtub, and so many other great little details I can’t even mention them all here. On top of everything else, even though our room was directly across the hall from the elevator, it was so quiet and relaxing.

Honestly, I am not kidding when I say this was the most amazing hotel either my fiancé or I have ever been to. We are even looking into having our wedding there. Even though it is by no means inexpensive, we both feel that we got a great deal given the level of service, the amazing environment, the location, and the free breakfasts. I would recommend it to anyone, from business travelers to couples to families. Please visit this hotel, I promise you will not be disappointed!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

I was sincerely surprised several times by the staffs' intuitive service and care at this hotel.
The staff thinks on their own and doesn't refer to a "corporate" manual. Very refreshing!

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!