“excellent (almost)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
usa
“excellent (almost)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

The hotel is a sheer elegance -- both outside and inside, easily the best looking hotel I have ever stayed in, worldwide. We stayed there for a special occasion, booked a deluxe room, and the first day was nice but not great: the spa treatment for my wife took much longer than planned, and there was annoying A/C and refrigerator noise at night. I complained the next day, and we were almost immediately offered an upgrade to a much bigger, nicer, and quieter suite, with a balcony and a much better view, as well as 50% off the price for the first night. The manager on duty by the name Charles was very polite and efficient in arranging this. My wife's spa treatment next morning was very pleasant. The spa itself is very nice, with a small but very pleasant pool. The staff in general was genuinely friendly and efficient. We made a mistake, however, having breakfast in the hotel's restaurant Balsan --- they clearly are not set up for a classy breakfast, do not know how to boil eggs to your specifications, and seem to try hard to economize on butter and jam. My advice to the hotel management: make your A/C and refrigerators in the smaller rooms less noisy, send Balsan people to Europe to learn how to serve good breakfast -- and your hotel will be the best in this country.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I have stayed in at least 10 of the better downtown Chicago hotels in this is far and away the best. The hotel itself is lovely, clean, spacious, quiet and very tastefully decorated. Every employee we encountered during our stay was pleasant, helpful and went beyond the call of duty. This is my first review as I have never had an experience so over the top as to merit taking the time to do so. When in Chicago again, I wouldn't even explore another hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I cannot say enough about this hotel. I live in Chicago and booked this for my wedding weekend and I didn't want to leave! The decor of the common areas and rooms are stunning from the moment you pull into the English-style courtyard. You don't lift a finger in the hotel as staff is very attentive and detail oriented. We had an instant upgrade upon arrival to a 1200 square foot suite with a balcony. The bed is the best bed I've slept in and the bathrooms are very luxurious. The spa is gorgeous and relaxing and I had the best massage of my life there. The staff also had homemade pastries, champagne and rose petal on the floor as a surprise on our wedding night. They accommodated any special request we had.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

This is a 5 star experience in every way. The rooms, service and food are all as good as it gets. I have stayed at the best all over the world and can't remember better. I was shocked when the valet that delivered the bags refused a generous tip and said that their aim was to spoil us during our visit. The same thing happened several times during our stay. Needless to say we were spoiled. Can't wait to return.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Elysian for our anniversary and I only wish we could have stayed longer. The hotel is beautiful, the decor is interesting yet understated. The service was outstanding. Every person there wants to help you in any way they can. We felt very pampered from the moment we walked through the doors. Our room was large and opulently furnished. There were 3 TVs in the room, including one in the mirror in the bathroom. The towels, robes and slippers were of the highest quality, as were the toiletries, sheets and other amenities. I can't wait to go back!

Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I have stayed at my share of nice luxury-type hotels so I am not a stranger to being pampered at hotels. I was a bit skeptical about staying at this hotel given that it was not one of the big chain hotels. My husband had a business meeting scheduled for after our family vacation. So we had both of our young boys and had to find a nice clean hotel that we could all sleep at comfortably. The Elysian had such great reviews that we had to try it. Immediately we were greeted by very friendly staff. Honestly given the "posh"ness of the hotel, one would've expected alot more snootiness or stuffiness from staff of a hotel of this caliber. They opened the door for you when you walked into the hotel, they spun the revolving door for my two young boys as they would find this thing to be very entertaining. Everything was done with perfection. I cannot say enough about this hotel. Their gym has a spinning bike with a video that you can watch and spin to, treadmills with personalized screens on each one, and somebody walking around to ensure that you are being taken care of. There is also a beautiful lap pool but not suited for young kids unless they are okay with just wading in the water (however, the staff actually offered to throw in water toys for our boys to play with if we wanted to have them use the pool) . It looked pretty shallow which is typical of a lap pool. The concierge had GREAT suggestions on places to eat and to take the kids and we were very pleased. The room itself had beautiful bedding, plush pillows, and a beautiful, elegant bathroom. The artwork throughout the hotel and the room is just so nice. I had asked for ear plugs and they brought it on a tray! (Yes, I was spoiled!) Oh and my kids have allergic reactions every time they are in hotels but this time they did great because the hotel is just so clean. We loved our stay and will return on our next trip out to the midwest. This is definitely a hotel worth looking into and staying at. The only drawback to this place is that parking is VERY expensive. I am from L.A. and I don't know if parking is $50 a night at a hotel since I don't stay at hotels in L.A. but I am willing to pay that for this great of a place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

It was during a business trip that I was recommended this fairly new hotel and I was deeply impressed. The hotel is outstanding because of the location, the service, the rooms, the kindness of the staff, and much more. The Spa is a haven in itself, an island of tranquility and relaxation, with most professional staff. The spa bar with dried fruit was an ongoing temptation for me... I hope to be able to come back to this wonderful hotel soon.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!