“The new best hotel in Chicago hands down” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Summer Resort Credit
Ranked #6 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“The new best hotel in Chicago hands down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

My wife and I regularly stay in Chicago for quick get away weekends or special occasions, and usually stay in the Four Seasons or Penninsula. Not any more. As great as those hotels are, the Elysian really exceeded our expecations. Beautiful rooms, especially the balconies. Very attentive service without being overbearing. Delicous food. Incredibly quiet rooms with top notch furnishings, sound sytems, TVs etc.

Also, felt like a much smaller, more intimate hotel than the other big names in Chicago, which for us was a big plus.

Loved the no tipping policy. Makes life just a little easier when you are there. Had a snafu with the spa scheduling and it could not have been hanlded more professionally or generously. Very impressed.

The room service food was top notch and for this level of hotel, quite reasonable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed one night here for a Chicago Cubs/Milwaukee Brewers game. It was also my Fiance's birthday. This establishment was extraordinary! I have stayed in world class hotels in NY and LA and this is above them all. The design touches and the level of service is awesome. Also the lunch I had at one of the hotels restuarants was one of the best tasting meals in recent memory. Everything is top notch- plush bedding, Bowers and Wilkins sound system on and on. I was also offered a free upgrade to a larger room upon check in (which I gladly accepted). Finally ,a nice personal touch was when we stopped back into the room after shopping-the GM Kevin left a personal note wishing us a great time at the Cubs game. Highly recommend this establishment and look foward to using the spa facilities next time!

buenos aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I can have enough words to describe the Elysian. It is a luxury hotel, very well located and full of beautiful details. Before my arriving date, the Concierge (the best service I ever have received from a hotel) organized and schedule for me segway tours, restaurant reservations, theather tickets and transfers in/out ariport.The rooms are spacious, they have a fireplace, cashmere blankets, leather inside the drawers, state of the art tecnologhy. One of the things I have been complaining about luxury hotels is that over the high rate they charged you for everything (WiFi, bottle of water, etc), this is not the case at the Elysian, the rate covers all this things and more !! the hotel has complimentary fitness classes, BMW`s ride for free is you need to go to 2miles or less distance from the hotel, amarettis, juices and fruit at the gorgeous spa and fitness center. I have lunch and dinner at both restaurants, and food was very good and not more expensive that dining outside the hotel. Other detail that I loved was that the complimentary slippers were actually my size (7) and my husband`s also were his size. So I can go on and on...I will like to thanks Peter Strandquist and his team Edward, Timo and Marc for making my stay at the Elysian unforgettable and for all their help.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Hingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Concierge help very strong. Abundance of staff around lobby take care of everything before you can ask. Rooms are beautiful. Only hiccup was over-priced breakfast and charging 4x for my son's OJ refills. There's an Einstein Bagel within footsteps that solves that problem. Will definitely be the hotel we stay in for future Chicago visits.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Elysian and taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am pleased to learn our rooms design was to your liking and that our staff was attentive to your needs. As a result of your orange juice refill comment, I am pleased to say we no longer charge per refill. We look forward to welcoming you back to Elysian on your future Chicago visits.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Good services, location. Peter in concierge very kind and helpful. Neet property.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Toledo, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I've been to Chicago on countless occassions and this was, by far, the best hotel I have ever stayed at while visiting the windy city. I had informed them that I usually stay at Peninsula or the Four Seasons, however, since this was the first trip for many who were in my party (daughter, mother-in-law and sister) I wanted to do something different. something that would be memorable and, in one word, UNFORGETTABLE. This was definitely the case with this hotel, it didn't matter if I was speaking to the manager, or a member of the housekeeping staff. Alll employees took pride not only in themselves, but in the service they provided to the guests. They went above and beyond. If you want the best experience, this is simply the best hotel. I could go on and on, for example, I still haven't mentioned anything about the great location or the fantastic dining options, this hotel offers, but at this point that would just be redundant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Dear Guest,
You tried a new hotel in the city and we are glad that you did. To have exceeded your expectations makes us very proud - many thanks for your time and comments. The entire team will be happy to learn of your experience with us and I will share your recognition of their efforts. I hope you'll contact me as you make plans for your next visit to Chicago. It would be my pleasure to arrange accommodations for you and personally introduce myself.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I found this hotel on the internet and it looked good, but you're never quite sure until you get there. Talk about understated elegance, this hotel was the cat's meow!! I planned a day in Chicago for my wife's birthday and it turned out to be the perfect location and the perfect place for the occasion. For example, she loves to swim so we spent the afternoon in their spa and lap pool. The lap pool is sterilized with saline, NOT chlorine. No bloodshot eyes. While we were at the spa, they delivered a piece of birthday cake and a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice to the room. Wow! We were blown away!! The room was very spacious, and the bathroom was palatial. For example, the LCD TV was built INTO the mirror above the sink. The room was exceptionally quiet regarding outside noise, as well as the A/C. I just can't say enough about this place. It was fantastic!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
Dear Guest,

I know you had many great hotel choices in Chicago and on behalf of our team, thank you for choosing Elysian. We are pleased to know you and your wife enjoyed her birthday weekend. Our pool and guestrooms are indeed unique and I’m thankful for your generous comments on your experience with us.

Kevin Robinson

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!