“Excellent location, great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto
“Excellent location, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We got a deal on this classy hotel when we stayed in June 2014. They included a $60/day voucher that could be used against parking, restaurant, etc. That saved us parking elsewhere in a dingy public parking lot, that we were not comfortable leaving our car at for the weekend. The service was excellent, very fast. Nice lap pool. Great sauna and spa. Rooms were huge, clean, and nicely decorated. From our hotel you could walk to Gibson's Steakhouse, the Magnificent Mile, and even down to the river for a boat tour (maybe 20-25 mins walk). Not sure about how long to walk to the zoo, but we drove and it was only 5 mins away. Within 1-2 blocks there was Tempo Cafe (a super breakfast place), and Pizano's Pizza - both casual and delicious, with great service, not pricey.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear LauraTsingos,

Thank you so much for your review of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that you truly enjoyed this special package and that you found our hotel’s valet service and location convenient. Thank you also for your positive remarks pertaining to our service team. I am glad you enjoyed the various amenities our Elysian Spa and Health Club has to offer. We will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back should your travels bring you back to the Windy City, hopefully in the not far future.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We just wrapped up a last minute birthday getaway to the Waldorf, luckily snatching up one of the last rooms for the weekend. We live in the Chicago suburbs, too far to truly enjoy dinner in town and then face a long ride back, so the Waldorf is our go-to location for a treat. We have literally changed weekend plans when we could not stay here.

I won't repeat the accolades about service, discretion, attentiveness, and quality that populate the other reviews - but I will echo them. The staff is first rate and genuinely lovely. I think we've all been to properties where courtesy and service seemed forced - not the case at the Waldorf.

Highlights: included a note in our reservation re: our excitement about having the cheese and charcuterie platter at Balsan, along with a great bottle of wine, for our b-day. When we returned to our room that evening, we had a complimentary serving of both waiting for us.

60-minute massage at the Elysian Spa (love that they retained the Elysian name) was excellent; the spa environment is luxurious and has so many small touches (snacks on single serving spoons, flavor infused water), and I took full advantage of the massage, whirlpool, and lap pool.

Concierges Mark and Edward are grand. And yes, the yogurt parfait for breakfast was scrumptious and super cute.

Making reservations now for anniversary in December!

Eloise should have lived at the Waldorf, I know I want to...Rick Evanich, may I???

Room Tip: Even the smallest rooms are lovely, but there are indeed a couple of smaller spaces. Amenities, déc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Meemer1,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel to celebrate your birthday. We are sincerely delighted to read that we are your hotel of choice when you stay in the city of Chicago on a special occasion. Thank you for all of your positive comments pertaining to our service team, the food in our restaurant Balsan and the services and amenities of our Elysian Spa and Health Club. I am also delighted to read that the yogurt parfait did not disappoint and that you will be visiting with us again in celebration of your anniversary in December. We will look forward to welcoming you back and to assisting making your special occasion a little more memorable.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on the 11th floor July 17-20 so I am writing this while it's fresh in my mind. The hotel itself and location is AMAZING. We stayed in a Waldorf Suite and it was huge. It has a wet bar area with a sink, small fridge, microwave, and even a freezer with ice in it. The living room had a nice couch, TV and even a gas fireplace. The bedroom was large with plenty of drawers for clothes and even a nice large desk with plenty of electrical outlets. The TV and speakers for your Ipod were great. It also had a HUGE closet area with plenty of hangers and area for clothes and shoes. Finally the bathroom was beautiful. All the tile, large soaking tub, walk in shower and water closet were very spacious. As a tech nerd the TV INSIDE the mirror was awesome.
Now that we've covered the room lets talk about what this hotel does best and that's service. EVERY single person we encountered here was superb. From Rachael in the bar (who went to go get my wife some chocolate when she joked about it for the bar nuts they provide) to both Mark and Edward (the concierges) you CAN'T ASK FOR MORE. We thoroughly enjoyed all that we met and the no tipping policy certainly is different than most hotels of this caliber.
We loved the house car which was beautiful, and also the spa and pool.
The only negative I could say was that the elevators seemed taxed at time for the demand but that's so minute it's almost crazy to mention it.
We have been lucky enough to stay in many fine hotels and this one is as good, if not better than all of them. The people make all the difference in the world and this staff is one of the best I've seen. I can tell you that if and when we come back to Chicago we will definitely stay here. if you are looking for a beautiful hotel in a great neighborhood that will make you feel like you're "rich and famous" this is it. Take my word for it and look no further than the Waldorf in Chicago.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Chris051676,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am truly pleased to read that you enjoyed your Waldorf suite, with all of its unique amenities, especially the TV in the mirror. Thank you so much for your positive remarks pertaining to our service team, especially Rachel, Edward and Mark. It gives me great pleasure to learn that the team was successful in making your stay a little more special. I regret to read of your waiting times for the elevators. I hope this did not cause any major inconveniences to you and your wife. We are thrilled to read that you will be joining us again in the near future. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you next to Chicago.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

As a frequent traveler, I typically discount reviews about poor service at hotels unless they are common throughout many reviews. The property is beautiful and well kept, most of the staff was helpful; however, there were just some setbacks during our stay that left a sour taste in our mouths. I think there are two points that will be important for fellow travelers from my experience:

1) If you have an issue during your stay, wait for the daytime manager to handle it. We were gently warned this by the night staff, but still requested to speak with the night manager and regret that decision. (I believe his name was Ron)

2) If there is a big price difference between the Waldorf and other top hotels, stay at the cheaper one. The thing that distinguishes good hotels from great hotels is service, so without great service, this hotel is just a 4 star and was certainly not worth the premium we paid to stay there over the other hotels we were looking at. The rooms and property were very nice, but that's not hard to find in Chicago.

The day staff was very helpful, the day manager called to discuss the issues from the night before and offered to try to make up for it. Despite the setbacks, I still don't believe I would be returning to the Waldorf strictly based on price, and I am not typically cheap when it comes to hotels. We did go on a very busy weekend, so the costs of hotels were likely inflated, but, we could have stayed at some of the other 5 stars for hundreds of dollars less than the Waldorf.

If the price is right, I think you will really enjoy your stay, if you're spending more and thus expecting more, you are setting yourself up for disappointment, like I did.

(For anyone curious what happened, My boyfriend and I had planned a special trip to Chicago after not getting to see each other for 6 weeks. After comparing hotels, we decided to splurge for the special occasion and book a King Suite at the Waldorf. Upon arrival we were given a handicap accessible, regular room with two double beds. I understand this, it happens regularly, and we arrived late in the evening, so it was completely understandable. Our issue was, we were excited for the suite and the difference in price they credited us was $50 a night, which just seems crazy on a $700 room for the difference between a suite and a regular room. I'm not sure why anyone would not pay the extra $50 for a suite?? So we called to see if there would be an opportunity for a suite to become available later in our stay and if $50 was the standard difference between the rooms (which we were assured it was) and were offered breakfast as a "we're sorry" gesture (which we weren't too interested in since we had brunch plans with friends already arranged for 2 of the 3 mornings we would be there). My boyfriend asked to be transferred to the manager to let me know what happened so they could try to avoid disappointing future customers, and this was a terrible decision. Maybe he had just had an awful day or something, but he definitely did not use the politeness and level of service I would expect from someone at the Waldorf, we have stayed at many Hilton properties and have had amazing service at most of them, so I was shocked that the manager at the top level property was one of the least helpful. At one point my boyfriend mentioned that he understood and appreciated the gesture of complimentary breakfast but we were much more interested in switching to the room we reserved than breakfast since we wouldn't even use it likely, to which the response was complimentary breakfast was not an option anyway. I don't care what level of hotel you are, if one of your associates offers something to a customer, you honor that. Reprimand the employee for offering something that is not supposed to be done (which I would be shocked if they discouraged offering breakfast to customers) not the customer. While it was definitely very minor issue, it was handled in a very frustrating and offensive way thus turning it into a bigger issue. Of course the day manager called the next day and said we were more than welcome to the breakfast (which we still never used). I cannot believe that an offer of free breakfast was something worth arguing and offending your customers over. )

Sorry for this novel of a review :D

Room Tip: If it's actually only $50 for a suite upgrade, I would go for that.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, Hotel Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear TripcorAlly,

Thank you for sharing your review of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is truly important to us. I sincerely regret to learn that your experience fell below your expectations.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak with you to further discuss the details of your visit. I can be contacted at Joe.Piantedosi@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 312-646-1353.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Joe Piantedosi
Hotel Manager
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Walking distance to many restaurants and very expensive shopping but also beautiful neighborhoods that are free to see! It is a no tip establishment which is nice but the service does not suffer. We had a very nice 25th floor suite (2501) with a peek a boo view of the lake. The room was immaculate, clean, lots of storage. The bathroom is spacious and gorgeous. The manager sent us a bottle of champagne and macarons for our anniversary. Very thoughtful and appreciated. Both restaurant and room service offered (we only had breakfast not lunch/dinner) a good array of choices and attentive service. Their yogurt parfait is a standout. The pool is indoors and nothing to write home about, it's a city hotel not a resort. The spa is pretty but we did not have services so can't comment on that.

Room Tip: Facing the lake
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear reallypickylady,

Thank you so much for celebrating your anniversary with us at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago and thank you for sharing your review of your stay on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found comfort in one of our Astoria Suites and that you enjoyed your anniversary amenity. Thank you for your kind words pertaining to our yogurt parfait. Our culinary team is thrilled to learn that you really enjoyed it. I hope you will visit with us again in the near future so you can experience some of our services in our Elysian Spa & Health Club. We will look forward to welcoming you back.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I recently stayed two nights at the Waldorf w/an old friend. The property is in a great location, the service was impeccable, the accommodations were top notch! The best part is the price wasn't too outrageous and nobody would let us tip them! They have a hotel car (Mercedes) that they will use to drive you w/in a few mile radius of the hotel. They insisted that we use it one day just to go a few blocks so we weren't late for our lunch reservation. I have nothing negative to say! Our stay was wonderful! It's a beautiful hotel as well!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear beachiemom,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your friends’ trip to the Windy City and thank you for sharing such candid feedback on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you found comfort in your suite and that you found the hotel’s location convenient and its décor enjoyable. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to our service team. Our philosophy of service is to serve without expecting anything in return, except our guests' smile and desire to visit with us again. I am delighted to read that our House Car service was useful. We will look forward to serving you and your friends again should your travels bring you back our way.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Our stay was booked in celebration of my husbands birthday. We were looking to relax and unwind. We truly didn't have to worry about a thing while we were there. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with great hospitality and felt like vips. When there was a short wait for check in, we were asked if we would like water or needed help with anything. Our checkout was expedient and Wayne was fantastic. The spa services were wonderful and each member of the staff did their best to offer quality service and a relaxing atmosphere. We will be back!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear travelingcara2012,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay to celebrate your husband’s birthday. I am truly pleased to read that the services in our Elysian Spa and Health Club enabled you to unwind and relax during your stay with us. Thank you for your positive remarks pertaining to our service team. It is rewarding to read of your acknowledgement of their efforts to make your stay a little more memorable. Your kind words regarding Wayne are also appreciated and have been shared with him and the team. We are thrilled to read that you will be joining us again sometime in the future. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!