“Great service, good value comparatively” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
10% OFF - Fall Suite Sale
Ranked #6 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
San Ramon, United States
“Great service, good value comparatively”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The staff at the hotel provided excellent service. This hotel is not cheap, but when you compare the price to other comparable hotels in the area, it's actually not bad. We did feel that cellphone/wifi reception at the hotel (both in the room and in lobby area) was very spotty (although free).

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Alfred P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It gives me great pleasure to read that our service team assisted you in an efficient and professional manner. I regret to read, however,that you had problems with your cell phone and wireless reception. I have shared your concerns with our Director of IT. I truly apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. We value and appreciate your patronage and will look forward to serving you again should your travels bring you back our way.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Jindabyne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and I must say it lived up to all my expectations and then some. I had reviewed this hotel before my visit and all the reviews were spot on. I was away for 7 weeks and all the properties I'd stayed at this was the best. It deserves it's 5 stars. From the moment I arrived it was first class all the way. Not often do you experience such a warm welcome, friendly and helpful staff. They couldn't do enough for me and as I was travelling on my own this support was very important and made my stay so much more enjoyable. What can I say about the suite I was lucky to be allocated as it was excellent in the amenities and ambience. I was very comfortable and any problems I had were swiftly seen to. The weather had turned cold and wet while I was there so the fire place was very welcome. I would highly recommend this property to other travellers and hope to return for another visit.

Room Tip: A high floor is a must to take advantage of the Chicago skyline.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Lynn872,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly pleased to read that our team made you feel welcome and were able to efficiently assist you during your five night stay; I am also pleased to learn that you enjoyed your suite and its various amenities, especially its fireplace. Thank you so much for recommending our hotel. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Ada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We expected the luxurious accommodations, but it was the personal attention and genuine care that impressed us the most. It's what makes a hotel destination special, and separates the best from the rest.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Ben, Lisa D,

Thank you so much for your positive comments pertaining to your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that our team was efficient and made you feel welcome throughout your visit. I have shared your kind words with the entire team. We truly appreciate your patronage and will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Obviously this hotel is not for those that are looking for an affordable hotel, its spendy. But, if you want a high class hotel that treats you like royalty and has everything you want, then this is the hotel for you.
Complementary everything, including car if someone else hasn't borrowed it.
The only downer was that they were working on the pool while we were there and I do enjoy pools.
Otherwise I will visit again.
Also easy access to Michigan Ave and lots of shopping & restaurants.

Room Tip: Higher the better.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear oxx155,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found the hotel’s location convenient and that you enjoyed the various unique amenities the hotel has to offer. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by our pool being out of order. Our Engineers are diligently working on it so that our guests can fully enjoy it again within the next few days. I hope you will give us a second opportunity to serve you so you can enjoy all of the amenities we offer, including the pool. We will look forward to welcoming you back!

Washington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We had a wonderful time in the opulence of the Waldorf Astoria. We decided to splurge on our hotel and we will definitely do it again.

We chose the Waldorf Astoria because it was one of the few 4-5 star hotels in the area that had 2 queen beds available. We also liked the convenient location. We walked to the John Hancock building and shopped at Water Tower Place. It was wonderful to not have to drive or find parking and we dropped shopping bags off at the hotel and went back out since it was so close, just a block off of Michigan Avenue.

We ordered room service one night and got the most delicious Hucklberry Tart at 10 pm.

The TV hidden in the bathroom mirror was intriguing. It wasn't the best resolution, but the novelty was great.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Maria B,

Thank you for posting your review of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that we were able to accommodate your preference of a Double Queen Room, but most importantly, I am delighted to read that you and your family found comfort in it. I am also glad to read that you found the hotel’s location convenient and that you could comfortably do your shopping without worrying about parking or the stress of traffic. Thank you for your kind comments pertaining to our In Room Dining service. I will share your comments with our pastry Chef, Andrew. I am sure he will be thrilled to read that you truly enjoyed his Huckleberry Tart. Your patronage is highly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to the Windy City.

Nashville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

The no tipping policy is a boon to the busy traveller; concierge was excellent, helpful, and ingenious. All glitches during stay were resolved or compensated: room service breakfast ordered the night before for a set time came 40 minutes late, leaving me no time in which to eat before had to leave in haste for my meetings (but cost was taken off final bill); ice box / freezer stopped working mid-way through stay and was still not working at time of departure). To be sure the breakfast (when it came on time the other days) was outstanding. Spa is very accommodating. Staff over all is helpful and cheerful. Business center (two computers with printer) is actually very good; cozy, quiet, and efficient. They are trying really really hard at the Chicago Waldorf Asotria and should get it all together in due course. Definitely will give them another try next time in Chicago because overall it is a good atmosphere and top-flight accommodation. Best I have found in this city, and I have tried at least 7 other comparable hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear William E E,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your candid feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Elysian Spa & Health Club, our In Room Dining Service and our Concierge services. However, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the glitches you encountered during your stay, especially pertaining to our delayed breakfast delivery and the malfunction in your suite ice box. I sincerely thank you for your kind patience and for your positive remarks with regard to our service team. Your patronage and loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. I am thrilled to read that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. We will look forward to our next opportunity to provide you with our True Waldorf Service.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I had a friend/business associate in Chicago for a three day stay at this hotel. From top to bottom every detail was great. Starting with concierge Edward Tobin, to head of marketing/PR Lori Hacker, to the front desk, to the car valets, to the room service staff and to the house keeping staff every single person was courteous, friendly and accommodating.

This is our new hotel home in Chicago. My middle name is "5 star" so for me to bestow these compliments on a hotel means a great deal.

It gives me great pleasure to write to TripAdvisor about the Waldorf Astoria Chicago.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Bonnie K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such positive remarks of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that all of our service team members you encountered during your stay were courteous, friendly and accommodating. I have shared your positive remarks with the entire team as I know they will find equally rewarding to read of your acknowledgement of their efforts to make your stay more enjoyable. We are thrilled to learn that we have become your new hotel home in Chicago. Your family at the Waldorf will look forward to serving you again, hopefully in the not far future.

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!