“Beautiful property, Amazing Service.....a must experience!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #4 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful property, Amazing Service.....a must experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is my second time staying at this incredible property. I would love to say my second stay was a flawless as the first, but I am a firm believer in the true judge of any establishment is not how they handle things when everything works out, but how they handle it when things don't go as planned.

I arrived at the hotel around 5:30pm to check-in, and came to find that not only was my room not available, but that the room type I had booked was also unavailable. I booked a king room with a fireplace, and since this type was unavailable (or oversold), the agent (Martin) offered me a king room on a higher floor. To assist with the inconvenience, he offered to purchase my breakfast in the morning through room service, which I thought was a gracious offer, and well appreciated (especially considering breakfast in a hotel like this runs almost $100). The room was ready in about 45 minutes, and I had requested a late check-out since the room was unavailable and my flight was not till the next evening, again Martin graciously complied.

My friend and I went to visit the pool, and upon entering- a very nice gentleman greeted us, and informed us the pool was being used by a few families, and there was not much peace and quiet to be had, and offered the men's locker room spa as an alternative. It was perfect for the quiet relaxation we were looking for.

We dined on room service, and again- the food, and service were flawless. The generous breakfast the next morning to was equally tasty.

Due to not feeling very well, I elected to stay another night, and the hotel accommodated my request, offering me the same discounted rate I had received on Saturday night. In addition, the housekeeper stopped by and mentioned she heard I wasn't feeling well, and came with fresh bottled water, and offered to clean the room. A bit later, a cupcake arrived from room service, with a note hoping that I feel better.

The hotel truly is a gem, and a great place to stay, especially if you want staycation or a place to stay in your room and just be lazy. You truly never want to leave this oasis. The service is truly flawless without being pretentious or pushy, and in both my stays here, I can say that everyone from the bellman to the housekeeper truly enjoys working here, and epitomizes hospitality. I've stayed at hotels all over the world, and my first stay here two years ago ascended it to the top of my list, and I'm very pleased to say that this most recent experience has not changed that feeling!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Damien P,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago again as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City and for sharing your candid feedback on TripAdvisor. First and foremost, I regret to learn about the inconvenience you went through when you tried to check in and your suite was not available. I am also sorry to read that you were not feeling well in the end of your trip. I am pleased, however, to read that Martin was able to find a fine resolution to the mistake made on our part and was able to turn your experience into a pleasant one. I sincerely thank you for your kind comments pertaining to our service team. I will share them with the entire staff, for remarks like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. I hope you are fully recovered now.
Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

A good friend and I took our preschoolers to the Waldorf Chicago for some city fun! The kids were so excited to have cookies and milk delivered just for them shortly after arrival! Staff was amazing and super friendly! Hotel location is fantastic - walking distance to great shopping and attractions and amazing restaurants. Will be back soon!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear 282jenniferc,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your candid feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It gives me great pleasure to read that you, your friend, and your children enjoyed your suite and the amenities sent to your room. Thank you for your kind remarks pertaining to our service team. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found the staff to be friendly and that we were able to contribute a little to your city fun. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

This luxury hotel is the perfect place to stay in Chicago. Just one block from all the major shopping destinations. You can enjoy all the hustle and bustle the city has to offer and then return to the tranquil luxury of this fine hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear carap381,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your past family trip to the Windy City. I am delighted to read that you found the hotel’s location convenient. We truly appreciate your patronage and will look forward to serving you again should your travels bring you back our way.

Mankato
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I was excited to stay here, but after my stay, I was disappointed.

Staff and check-in and check-out were very nice. I had a deluxe king room which was large and well-appointed w/ a fireplace and sitting area. The location is right off of Michigan Avenue near Water Tower Place. The hotel had a boutique feel. The issues I had with this room were the following:

Lighting system was confusing and I question if it works as designed
Bathroom door would not shut solidly and water would flow onto bathroom floor
Lack of toiletries
Bath filled so incredibly slowly that it was unusable

I also ordered room service which was not good. Based on othe reviews, I should have avoided that option.

Based on other reviews, I may have had a rare bad experience. As I mentioned, the room was large and staff friendly, but something just seemed to be "missing" for a 5-star, 10th best in the US. If you have a chance to upgrade to a larger room/suite, I'd strongly consider it as those rooms may have been more upgraded and well-appointed.

I stayed at the Langham Chicago (see review) the night before and to me there was a major difference in quality.

Room Tip: Would ask for a room on a higher floor. It seems some rooms would have views of the lake and the ci...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
WAChicago, Hotel Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear manktripguy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago.

I am pleased to read that the team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit, especially during your check in and check out procedures, and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. On the other hand, I sincerely regret to read about the various inconveniences you went through due to the malfunction of the lighting system in your suite, the shower door, your bath tub, and the lack of toiletries in your bathroom. I also regret to learn that our In Room Dining service did not meet your expectations.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you to personally apologize and discuss what we can do so you would consider staying with us again. I can be contacted at Joe.Piantedosi@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 312-646-1353.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Joe Piantedosi
Hotel Manager
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is a five-star hotel, no question about it. The facility itself is very beautiful in every way and the location is exceptional. I was extremely impressed with the room product - the bedding was luxurious, the fireplace comforting - and the bathroom was extraordinarily beautiful (and the Ferragamo products were a nice luxury). The housekeeping team is extremely notable - they do a magnificent job and when you are there for six nights, that is very important. I want to give them special recognition for their professionalism and timeliness.

A couple of people made my stay particularly memorable - Nayeli at the front desk who provided a genuine welcome, Judson at concierge who was both eager and sincere and Kenny at the bar in Balsan who was attentive, warm and professional.

The spa is exceptionally beautiful, though the front desk was not manned a lot of the time and I found that odd. I attempted to do a class offered daily but could not figure out where it was located. Ultimately, it does turn out I was in the right room but the trainer never once looked up to acknowledge me and after 20 minutes, I left.

One other miscue during the stay was being seated in a hidden corner of Balsan (not my choice) and having my guest be told I was not in the restaurant, even though I had been there for 35 minutes - so she waited in the lobby while I waited upstairs for her. I would expect more from the WA, but the fact is, I've learned not to expect much from Chicago in general - the service precision is just not NYC (or even L.A.) and that isn't a Waldorf issue.

One area where WA excels is absolutely transportation. The house car service was genuinely exceptional and much, much appreciated getting around the Gold Coast. Were I to return to Chicago, there is no question I would call WA first.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear sfdann,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your business trip to Chicago. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite and the overall hotel’s ambiance and décor. We truly appreciate your kind remarks pertaining to our team, especially our housekeeping staff, Judson, Nayeli and our house car service team. Your comments are an inspiration to our continued efforts to meet and exceed our guests’ needs and expectations. On the other hand, I regret to learn about the inconveniences you encountered when you were in Balsan and in our Health Club. I have addressed your concerns with the directors of the appropriate departments for internal review and appropriate action. We are thrilled to read that you will be visiting with us again in the near future. We will look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Love love loved this hotel!!!!! Staff was so friendly! Rooms were gorgeous.... It's close to water tower. Soooo worth the extra points! Breakfast was pricey (20$) but good and great service. Valet is $$ but the let me keep car there after check out. ❤️❤️this hotel

Stayed April 2014
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear lookinforfamilyfuny,

Thank you so much for sharing such positive review of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am truly delighted to read that you enjoyed your room, the hotel’s location, and the amenities the hotel has to offer. Thank you for your kind words pertaining to our service team. We will look forward to serving you again should your travels bring you back our way, hopefully in the not far future.

Kalamazoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel met all of our expectations and the property is amazing. I travel a lot and stay in a ton of nice hotels. (and I often forget to post them all on here) But this is quite possibly the nicest property I've ever stayed at. Conde Nast just rated it the #10 best hotel in the US and I'd say it's worthy of such a title.

I recently surprised my wife with an overnight "mommy break" after she gave birth to our baby girl 5 weeks earlier. I know Waldorf Astoria properties are always great places to stay but I was really excited about the Chicago property. I have heard so many great things and they all lived up to the hype.

The service was excellent, the property is super sharp and super clean, in a great location, the staff are well trained and happy to help, and we fully enjoyed our stay. The phone rep I worked with to place the reservation asked if it was a special occasion and ended up passing my surprise night along in the notes. I'm not sure if it was because of my Hhonors gold status or that note which got us upgraded to a Waldorf Suite. Either way, we appreciated the gesture and this is why I am a loyal Hilton customer. :) The suite was.. you guessed it, a-mazing! Next time we'll have to try for the Astoria Suite or maybe the Luxury Suite! (Hilton, let me know if you want us to come stay for another night and we'll be happy to share our review here on TA.)

If you are looking to enjoy some seriously luxurious accommodations, this is the hotel for you. All of the little details in the rooms really put the property on a whole different level. I don't want to give too many spoilers away, but one thing we enjoyed was the Mercedes S550 house car service they provide. It's an amazing car and is a great way to show up in style somewhere.

Keep up the great job! We will return... Waldorf Astoria Chicago!

Room Tip: Our "Waldorf Suite" was amazing. If you are upgrading your room with Hhonors points it doe...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear TheGameCrafter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your candid feedback of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor, and thank you as well for choosing us as your hotel of stay for this special surprise overnight getaway with your wife. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the Waldorf Suite and that you will be visiting us again to explore other suite options. Thank you for your kind remarks pertaining to our service team and the various amenities the hotel has to offer. I am delighted to learn you enjoyed them, especially our house car. Your loyalty and patronage are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back, hopefully in the not far future.

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!