“Incredible!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #5 of 179 Hotels in Chicago
A TripAdvisor Member
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

From the moment we drove up we knew this was going to be a wonderful stay. The hotel staff was friendly and attentive. The room was impeccable. The Spa was incredible. I had a facial and thought I had died and gone to heaven! The location was perfect. We received great restaurant recommendations from several hotel staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your family trip to the Windy City. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found comfort in your suite and you enjoyed the various amenities the hotel offers, especially our Elysian Spa & Health Club. I will share your positive feedback with our Spa team as I am certain they will be find equally rewarding to learn how much you enjoyed your treatment. I am also delighted to read that our service team was friendly and attentive throughout your stay. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back should your travels bring you back our way.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

All the amenities you would expect from a top notch hotel. Lovely decor, soothing colors, great spa and attentive, helpful and pleasant staff make this a perfect Chicago hotel. Enjoyed an efficient and good lunch room service (surprisingly good thin crust pizza and interesting eggplant appetizer). All the high end shopping at arm's throw and the buzz of Chicago out your doorstep. Recommend it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear PlatinumHoney ,

Thank you so much for your review of your most recent stay with us. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s décor and location and the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Elysian Spa & Health Club and our In Room Dining service. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to our service staff; I am pleased to read they were able to gracefully and efficiently assist you throughout your stay. We truly value your patronage and will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Chicago either on business or pleasure.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for two nights for our anniversary. We chose this hotel because of the spa. Unfortunately, we were unable to use the spa due to deafening welding going on above the spa. We were not notified of the loud, obnoxious noise until we were in our robes and being led to the spa massage rooms by the massage therapist. Not wanting leave our "relaxing" spa visit with headaches from loud pounding and construction vibrating the room, and at the recommendation of the massage therapist, we left the spa without massages. We were told that the spa manager would contact us to discuss this unfortunate situation; this never occurred. I finally followed up with the hotel manager, who was "shocked" that the spa had scheduled appointments when they should have known that the construction was going on. We were offered dinner at the restaurant (where we had just eaten brunch and did not want to return) or a complimentary ride in the hotel's car (which is offered to ALL guests but was being presented as compensation for the ruining of our anniversary trip.) We will stay at the Trump for our next trip to Chicago. Waldorf Astoria and Spa: You will not receive a return visit from us.

• Stayed November 2013
WAChicago, Director of Guest Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Skiandeat,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your anniversary and for your feedback pertaining to your stay. I would like to offer my sincere apologies on behalf of the entire Spa and Guest Services team for failing to make your anniversary the special occasion it was meant to be.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak with you to discuss what can be done to amend our mistakes and have you stay with us again. I can be contacted at chad.gordon@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1335.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Chad Gordon
Director of Guest Services
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We live in downtown Chicago but couldn't pass up the opportunity for a 2 night stay at the Waldorf Astoria this past spring. The rooms were gorgeous, beautiful fireplace separating the living room from the bedroom, amazing skyline views, HUGE room. I told my husband that I could easily live there! The bar was great, very dark loungy atmosphere, good app's and good wine selection. The location is perfect, right off the main strip of the gold coast and all of the fabulous restaurants and shopping. We went to Hugo's for dinner, which was just 2 blocks away. Could not recommend the Waldorf more, if you have the opportunity to stay in Chicago, this is where you want to be!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear AussieGirl909,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay for your two day staycation with your husband in downtown Chicago. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the décor and ambiance in your suite and the hotel’s location. I am also happy to read that you had the opportunity to visit our cozy boîte, Bernard’s. Thank you so much for recommending our hotel. We truly value your patronage and loyalty and will look forward to serving you and your husband again, hopefully in the not far future.

Palo Alto, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Usually when I think of hotel food, I dread the worse and can't help but think how overpriced it is. The one night I decided to eat in the restaurant I was correct as usual. The good was mediocre at best and for the price I expected so much more it's a shame when I actually looked forward to my meal

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear BillYates07,

Thank you so much for your candid feedback of your most recent visit with us. I regret to learn that your dining experience at our restaurant Balsan fell below your expectations. I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef and culinary team for comments like yours are what enable us to continue to improve the quality of our products and services on a daily basis. I truly hope you consider giving us another opportunity to serve you as I am certain that our culinary team would be delighted to craft for you a memorable dining experience should your travels bring you back our way.

Washington, DC, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Chicago is a comfortable big city in the USA. The Waldorf Astoria is ideally located to all that Chicago has to offer. The quality of the property and staff is second to none from the moment arrive and throughout your stay. The staff deliver and allow you to appreciate a luxury lodging experience. I highly recommend the Waldorf Astoria on you next stay in the Windy City!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Christopher T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that our service team was gracious, efficient and able to deliver a quality of service that did not disappoint. Thank you for recommending our hotel. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back our way.

Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Yes, this hotel has a great hard product. It's hard to go wrong there - everything is new and big and spacious. The spa is nice and everything is immaculate. None of that bears repeating - it's already been said 1000 times. But is this place the best ever? Well, not quite. There were a couple things that just didn't go our way that we think such a truly great property as this purports to be would be able to handle.

As an hhonors Gold member who booked months out on points, traveling as a couple, I wasn't even able to secure a king bed. Not a suite mind you, just a plain old king bed. Lovely. The "best hotel on earth" or whatever can't get me in a king bed. Truly spectacular performance. I understand revenue rooms and limited availability but how about taking care of your loyal customers as well? A truly great property would not have put a couple in a two-queen room on a booking 6 months out.

The much hyped "house car" actually does not belong to the "house" but rather is a contract service. There is no information about it in the in-room info book, nor was any provided at the front desk. When we inquired about it on a Saturday morning with the concierge for use going to a dinner reservation, he told us to come back later. Ok, I understand first come first serve. So then we come back a bit before dinner and are told it has stopped running for the night. Well, that was a surprise. Again, no info had ever been provided about the service so we just had to guess. So we never got to take advantage of that. Again one might think that this super-duper amazing property would post such simple information somewhere.

For some reason about 10 minutes after we got into our room someone was ringing the doorbell asking if we had any dirty dishes. Um, no, we don't. In a twist of irony, however, housekeeping managed to leave a very conspicuous pile of dirty dishes that we would have indeed loved removed in our room for two days. Guess the universal rule still holds - housekeeping is bad pretty much everywhere.

The weekend we were there this place was packed up with a couple of weddings. Hysterical, self-entitled, drama-filled guests running everywhere snapping at us. One time, a couple of them even ordered us to not get into "their" elevator and to wait for the next one. Lovely.

Overall, again, the hard product is great and I am criticizing this place for things that I'd let lesser places get away with. But if you say you're going to be the best I expect the best. I've been treated much better at other Chicago hotels; not seeing what's worth the price premium here aside from the shiny hard product.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, Hotel Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear DC_4062,

Thank you so much for your candid feedback pertaining to your most recent visit and for your loyalty to the Hilton Brand. Comments like yours enable our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. Unfortunately, these valuable lessons have come at your expense.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your positive comments with regard to the quality of the product we offer. However, I would like to apologize for the series of inconveniences you encountered throughout your stay that made your visit disappointing; especially pertaining to your room category, our House Car availability and our housekeeping services.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you to personally apologize and discuss what we can do to have you stay with us again. I can be contacted at joe.piantedosi@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 312-646-1353.

Joe Piantedosi
Hotel Manager

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!