“Classy, elegant, warm and cordial.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Fall Suite Sale!
Ranked #6 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Santa Monica, California
“Classy, elegant, warm and cordial.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The first thing that impressed me was the email a few days before we were scheduled to arrive introducing the concierge services and giving me contact information in case we had questions. As it happened we did have questions, and the concierge replied almost immediately and was very helpful.
We arrived late at night to discover that they had upgraded us to a suite with a separate seating area, fireplace, and a patio. However, it was on the 8th floor and immediately next to a parking structure. It was disorienting ~ if you walked out on the balcony you had no idea where you were! I called the front desk and thanked them for the upgrade but said that we would rather be higher up in the smaller room we had initially reserved so that we could see the city. They were incredibly understanding and the next morning bumped us up to the 19th floor, BUT in the exact same type of suite, with an incredible view. Well worth the money and we would stay there again!

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for a beautiful view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Melissa D,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly sorry to learn that the view from the first suite you were upgraded to was disappointing; however, I am pleased to learn that the team was able to find a suite in a higher floor where you enjoyed the view. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back our way.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Lovely hotel, beautiful decor, welcoming and professional staff. We had a Waldorf Suite that was lovely with an enormous bathroom with a large steam shower and soaker tub. Dined at the hotel restaurant (we normally never do this, as I am a foodie and we like to eat well) -- the meal was delicious (had the seafood hot pot and the Rigatoni Bolognese -- very rustic simple). Only quibble would be the sky-high hotel prices... but you're minutes from the Magnificent Mile, great shopping, etc. in a wonderful city, so to be expected.

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you found comfort in your Waldorf suite and that you particularly enjoyed the suite’s spacious bathroom and your dining experience in our restaurant Balsan. Your patronage is highly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back, hopefully in the not far future.

Columbus, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Hotel excellent, very expensive, but well done... Restaurant did not "fit" the high standards of W-A... unappealing menu and poor atmosphere... more of a bar than a restaurant... left and had dinner elsewhere....................................................................

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Christopher W,

Thank you so much for your review of your most recent visit at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and most of its unique amenities. I am terribly sorry, on the other hand, to read that our restaurant Balsan did not meet your expectations. I have brought your comments to the attention of our Executive Chef. Chef and his culinary team have just introduced a new luscious Fall menu. I regret to read that you did not get to experience it, but I truly hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Farmington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My Husband and I just returned from a wonderful visit to Chicago to visit our Daughter. From the moment we arrived we were impressed with all of the excellent Staff. Andrew Fernandes, Guest Relations Ambassador, was there to great us and to see to it that we were given the early arrival we had hoped for as I was ill. Incredibly grateful for that. We arrived quite early and literally went and enjoyed a delicious ( a bit expensive) breakfast with our wonderful Waiter Ian and our Suite was ready.
We stayed on the 23rd floor in the Astoria Suite which is very spacious, and beautifully appointed. Large Living room with working Fireplace and Balcony off of that. Includes a Microwave, Wet bar, Fridge with Freezer with its own ice, free WiFi that worked perfectly and assorted snacks. The Couch was a Queen pullout and worked just fine for our daughter who chose to stay with us rather than go home since it was so lovely. Large bathroom with huge soaking tub and double sinks. TV in the mirror as so many have mentioned was cool. The shower is enormous as well. People complained about the lights...turn them up on the side panels in the wall.
We have been very fortunate to stay in many places with very nice accommodations and these were no exception. Bed was very comfortable and 2 closets so no fighting over closet space. Lovely soft robes and long plush towels. Its the little things that count and they did for sure. The Hotel is in a wonderful location and is close to everything. Need a taxi, they will arrange for that in a minute. The Lobby is a bit small..not quite what I imagined but elegant regardless. The Dining Room was a bit smaller than we anticipated but lovely as well. We were out for dinner both nights so can't talk about dinner. However, we had breakfast both days which was delicious and dessert bought to our room. Room Service was quick and delightful. It is pricey but you get what you pay for. I can't say enough nice things about this Hotel, and we have already booked our return in May.

Room Tip: Higher floors for the view. The Astoria Suite was very spacious and the three of us never felt cram...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear JSAjr,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such candid feedback of your most recent visit at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am truly pleased to read that you enjoyed your Astoria Suite and that the entire team was able to graciously and efficiently assist you throughout your visit, especially Andrew and Ian. I have shared your kind comments with them and the rest of the staff as I am certain that they will be equally pleased to read of your acknowledgement of their efforts to make your stay more memorable. It also gives me great pleasure to read that you have already scheduled your next visit. Your patronage and loyalty are greatly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back and serving you again in May.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Great place! I guess there isn't much of a surprise since its the Waldorf. Spent Labor Day weekend here and its location and amenities were great. The only thing I would say is perhaps have greater choice for food but then, in reality, you are in Chicago, you can go out and eat if you really want huge variety.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Milanista,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during Labor Day weekend. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s amenities and location. I regret to learn, however, that the food in our restaurant Balsan did not meet your expectations. I have shared you comments with our Executive Chef and his team. They just switched our menu for the fall season and it's fantastic. I wish you have had the opportunity to experience it. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

stayed here one night for interview, sleep ok because i am picky for bed. But they are pretty decent.
i got the job therefore i assumed it is a very nice place. Though finally I did not go to Chicago but next time i probably will go back to the hotel that used to give me luck

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear longandput,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your visit to the Windy City because of your job interview. I am delighted to read that your stay with us had such a positive impact. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back our way either on business or pleasure.

Chicago, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

It was my 25th Anniversary with my wife. The stay at the Waldorf was just PERFECT and AWESOME! The staff had a bottle of champagne and a very nice note. My wife loved that and the accommodations! My wife wants to go back next year...and we will! Happy wife, Happy Life! Thanks for making one of the best memories for us!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alan C,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your 25th anniversary and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to read that your entire stay was enjoyable, but most importantly, that your wife would like to celebrate with us again next year. Your loyalty is greatly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to making your next celebratory visit more special.

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!