“Superb Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Helsingborg,sweden
“Superb Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had the pleasure of being guests of this fine hotel for 4 nights. We were greeted by a very knowledgeable Andrew upon arrival , our suite wasn't quite ready to be checked into, but it was worth the wait since we got a nice upgrade. While waiting we had a lovely brunch, don't miss it. Our suite was very comfortable with great views over the city, we loved the balcony. Suite very spacious with great seating area and the bathroom was awesome. We found the staff very helpful and utilized the house car on several occasions, a great service. Can not say enough good things about this hotel. See you on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear oregongirl62,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that we were able to upgrade your suite and that you enjoyed the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our restaurant Balsan and the House Car service. Your loyalty and patronage are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you when your travels bring you back our way.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Waldorf Astoria! From the moment we pulled up to the valet, quick check-in, upgraded to a suite, and the serenety of a beautifully designed suite, I knew we'd be very happy there. We had a large porch, fireplace in the living room, very comfortable bedroom, and large marble bathroom with a huge soaking tub. The only problem was we did not have enough time to enjoy this great room. Shopping is right around the corner, along with the great restaurants of Chicago. I was surprised when tips were refused. Our service was always friendly and prompt.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear eieionan,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found peace and comfort in your suite and that our service team was able to promptly and efficiently assist you and your family throughout your visit. It is rewarding to read that you enjoyed our no tipping policy. Our team’s philosophy of service is to assist without an expectation of receiving anything in return, except our guest’s desire to visit with us again. We will certainly look forward to welcome you and your family back, hopefully I the not far future.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I thought that this hotel was going to be great but it turned out to be just OK. For the price I paid I thought I was going to have a large room, fridge and micro with no fee, working AC. The room was instead small, AC was not cold enough, had to pay a fee for the fridge and micro. Horrible stay. I found cookie crumbs on the floor by the bed base boards. Dirty towels!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I were in Chicago for a Girls trip and the Waldorf was the perfect place to stay. The location was excellent, we could walk to some of the best stores and restaurants. The room and service exceeded our expectations. We had the 1200 sq feet suite and it was more than enough room for the three of us. The TV in the bathroom mirror was a great delight and one of the special signatures that sets Waldorf apart from the rest. All the staff was extremely helpful, but Andrew and Earnest were a big help at the front desk when I wanted to extend my stay. Although we didn't get a chance to use the Spa, I was very impressed with the facility and services offered. I am extremely picky, but I can honestly say that this property by far is the BEST of the Best hands down!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Krhb,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly happy to read that you enjoyed your suite and all of its unique amenities, especially the TV in the mirror. It also gives me great pleasure to read that Andrew and Ernest were able to assist extending your stay with us. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our Elysian Spa. I truly hope that next time you and your friends visit with us, you have the opportunity to enjoy some of their relaxing treatments. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Excellent Hotel Great Staff Great Food Great Fitness and Spa Center Excellent Accommodations and location Close to shopping and restaurants Bathroom spectacular Excellent suites and upgrades Concierge very helpful Did not request tips even when offered

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Frank, Marcel N,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City with your family. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your suite and the unique amenities the hotel has to offer. It also gives me great pleasure to learn that the Concierge team efficiently assisted you throughout your time with us. We truly value your patronage and can’t wait to welcome you and your family back sometime in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

It’s a pretty building in a great location. Our breakfast at Balsan was fine. The lifts were tiny though, and I think only one was working during our stay because the other never opened up.

The problem we had was with Al at the concierge desk. We asked for a nice Italian restaurant nearby and he recommended Spiagga. When we arrived it was very nice indeed until we saw the menus and the prices and realized we were not getting out for less then $500 US. Some may think we were foolish for keeping put, but we had already ordered drinks and been seated; leaving would have been embarrassing. We have no issues spending a lot of money -- heck, we were staying at the Waldorf-Astoria -- so long as it is our choosing, but it was the sour feeling of being duped that turned our stomachs. When we next spoke with Al he claims he told us Café Spiagga which was right next door, but he never said any such thing. Perhaps he gets a kickback from the restaurant for doing what he did? In that case, he found a pair of suckers in us.

Communication is the hallmark of great customer service and we feel like we were fleeced. We are not confrontational types to argue against something that never should have happened in the first place. In reading other reviews, whenever something goes wrong, I see the manager replies with apologetically instead of sincerely. Too late, don’t bother.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This is an amazing place! We we to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday and our 15th anniversary. Our concierge, Andrew, arranged a complimentary upgrade to an Astoria suite, which was incredible. View and location were perfect. We were just a minute walk from Michigan Avenue. I can't say enough about the service. Friendly, helpful and not pretentious. They didn't have appointments available for my wife's manicure and my wet shave, but gladly arranged for services right near the hotel. The room was luxurious: bed was super comfortable and the bathroom like a spa. TV in the mirror was a neat touch. Room service was prompt and food was very good. This was simply the best hotel experience we have ever had! Amazing!

• Stayed June 2013
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear ANDREW G,

Thank you so much for celebrating these two very special occasions with us and for taking the time to post your review of your stay on TripAdvisor. I am truly delighted to read that Andrew assisted making your celebration a little more special with an upgrade. Thank you for your kind remarks pertaining to our service team. I will certainly share your comments with the entire staff for comments like yours inspire our continued efforts to exceed our guest’s expectations. I regret to learn we were not able to accommodate your appointments at our Elysian Spa, but I hope your travels bring you back our way some time in the near future so that you can experience some of the great treatments it has to offer. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!