“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
10% OFF - Fall Suite Sale
Ranked #6 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I were in Chicago for a Girls trip and the Waldorf was the perfect place to stay. The location was excellent, we could walk to some of the best stores and restaurants. The room and service exceeded our expectations. We had the 1200 sq feet suite and it was more than enough room for the three of us. The TV in the bathroom mirror was a great delight and one of the special signatures that sets Waldorf apart from the rest. All the staff was extremely helpful, but Andrew and Earnest were a big help at the front desk when I wanted to extend my stay. Although we didn't get a chance to use the Spa, I was very impressed with the facility and services offered. I am extremely picky, but I can honestly say that this property by far is the BEST of the Best hands down!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Krhb,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly happy to read that you enjoyed your suite and all of its unique amenities, especially the TV in the mirror. It also gives me great pleasure to read that Andrew and Ernest were able to assist extending your stay with us. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our Elysian Spa. I truly hope that next time you and your friends visit with us, you have the opportunity to enjoy some of their relaxing treatments. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Excellent Hotel Great Staff Great Food Great Fitness and Spa Center Excellent Accommodations and location Close to shopping and restaurants Bathroom spectacular Excellent suites and upgrades Concierge very helpful Did not request tips even when offered

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Frank, Marcel N,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City with your family. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your suite and the unique amenities the hotel has to offer. It also gives me great pleasure to learn that the Concierge team efficiently assisted you throughout your time with us. We truly value your patronage and can’t wait to welcome you and your family back sometime in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

It’s a pretty building in a great location. Our breakfast at Balsan was fine. The lifts were tiny though, and I think only one was working during our stay because the other never opened up.

The problem we had was with Al at the concierge desk. We asked for a nice Italian restaurant nearby and he recommended Spiagga. When we arrived it was very nice indeed until we saw the menus and the prices and realized we were not getting out for less then $500 US. Some may think we were foolish for keeping put, but we had already ordered drinks and been seated; leaving would have been embarrassing. We have no issues spending a lot of money -- heck, we were staying at the Waldorf-Astoria -- so long as it is our choosing, but it was the sour feeling of being duped that turned our stomachs. When we next spoke with Al he claims he told us Café Spiagga which was right next door, but he never said any such thing. Perhaps he gets a kickback from the restaurant for doing what he did? In that case, he found a pair of suckers in us.

Communication is the hallmark of great customer service and we feel like we were fleeced. We are not confrontational types to argue against something that never should have happened in the first place. In reading other reviews, whenever something goes wrong, I see the manager replies with apologetically instead of sincerely. Too late, don’t bother.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This is an amazing place! We we to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday and our 15th anniversary. Our concierge, Andrew, arranged a complimentary upgrade to an Astoria suite, which was incredible. View and location were perfect. We were just a minute walk from Michigan Avenue. I can't say enough about the service. Friendly, helpful and not pretentious. They didn't have appointments available for my wife's manicure and my wet shave, but gladly arranged for services right near the hotel. The room was luxurious: bed was super comfortable and the bathroom like a spa. TV in the mirror was a neat touch. Room service was prompt and food was very good. This was simply the best hotel experience we have ever had! Amazing!

• Stayed June 2013
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear ANDREW G,

Thank you so much for celebrating these two very special occasions with us and for taking the time to post your review of your stay on TripAdvisor. I am truly delighted to read that Andrew assisted making your celebration a little more special with an upgrade. Thank you for your kind remarks pertaining to our service team. I will certainly share your comments with the entire staff for comments like yours inspire our continued efforts to exceed our guest’s expectations. I regret to learn we were not able to accommodate your appointments at our Elysian Spa, but I hope your travels bring you back our way some time in the near future so that you can experience some of the great treatments it has to offer. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was surprised by my fiancee and was so elated! Got upgraded to a room to a luxury suite with a balcony and fireplace. Decor was modern chic. Spa was well equipped with sauna, hot tub and steam room. Beautiful facilities....I've stayed at many hotels in Chicago and this is by far my favorite place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear robert j,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that we were able to offer you and your fiancée an upgrade to one our Luxury Suites; but most importantly, I am excited to read that you both found comfort in it and that you also had the opportunity to enjoy the rest of the facilities in the hotel, especially our Elysian Spa. Your loyalty is truly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Waldorf Astoria, venerated by the Press, was a tremendous disappointment. We travel often and stay at wonderful hotels. We look forward to the atmosphere and service by these wonderful establishments. In the past, we have been very satisfied.

In June, we spent three days at the Waldorf. From the moment we entered we found the service lacking. There were few people to great us, cabs were hard to find, my appointment at the spa was late. Our room was adequate, but the amenities lacking. Although there were three of us, we had few towels and toiletries. There was no evening service. These are comforts and service that are standard at great hotels, and we were informed this was suppose to be in that category. In sum, for three days, we waited for improvement. We continued to complain. At each turn, we were told the service would improve, at each turn it did not.

I was stunned at check out when the manager asked me how my visit was. I stared and she said, "you had some problems". Then she looked down and simply told me there were no additional charges. With that, I was dismissed. I never saw a bill.

I am pleased to report that at the Ritz in New Orleans we again returned to the level of service and care of a fine hotel. Out hats off to the staff and management. We are sure to return to the Ritz on our next visit -- we will never return to the Waldorf in Chicago.

Ivana Bredehoft

Room Tip: do not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ms. Bredehoft,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback concerning your recent stay with us. Comments like yours enable our continued pursuit of improvement in our daily performance. I would like to sincerely apologize for the series of inconveniences you experienced throughout your stay that caused your visit to be nothing but a disappointment.
I would like the opportunity to speak with you to personally apologize and discuss what we can do to make things right and have you stay with us again. I can be contacted at chad.gordon@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1335.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Chad Gordon
Director of Guest Services
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my fiancée. Was greeted by Roman on concierge who upgraded us for FREE! To a suite. This gentleman was utterly professional and the check in process was seamless. The room and facilities were amazing. Tommy on checking out the next day even printed off my boarding card for my flight. All in all an excellent hotel with friendly helpful staff who make you feel welcome and special. Can't wait to return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Darryl C,

Thank you so much for your candid feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that the team was able to gracefully efficiently assist you throughout your visit, especially Tommy and Roman. I will certainly share you kind comments with the entire staff, for comments like yours inspire our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to serving you and your fiancée again, hopefully in the near future.

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!