“Over the top, excellent property!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Over the top, excellent property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

From the time you arrive, to departure, this hotel is perfect. Service is exemplary- after leaving my dress shoes in the car, I asked to have them brought up to the room. Not only were they delivered, but they had a fresh shine. I was very impressed.

I had a grand corner suite looking west. The view was good, the room was very quite and everything was clean and in good working order.

Treat yourself and stay at this property!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Chicagoboy29,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our level of service. I will certainly share them with the rest of our team as comments like yours inspire our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your Luxury Suite and hope that you and your friends will be visiting with us again sometime in the very near future!

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our first time at the Waldorf and I was amazed at the opulence and splendor of the hotel. I truly felt like I was going back in time and connecting with icons like Cole Porter and Frank Sinatra. The service was amazing and I felt welcome and cared for from every staff member we came in contact with. The bed and the entire room were very comfortable. The decor does need some upgrading and some things are grossly over priced but the experience was totally worth it. The spa was amazing as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dpklos,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed the hotel’s ambiance and amenities, especially our Elysian Spa. I am also pleased to read that our team made you feel welcome and well taken care of. We truly value your patronage and will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My mother and I stayed here to celebrate her Mother's day and my graduation from medical school. We had whole day of spa on Wednesday--60 minute facial, massage, and mani/pedi and stayed one night in one of the king bed suites... It was heaven!

First the staff: everyone from valet, front desk, room service, to the spa were incredible. Everyone was so polite, helpful, and everyone congratulated me on my upcoming graduation. I apologize for not getting everyone's name, but the spa staff was so great. There was an amazing spa receptionist (young blonde pregnant woman) who was lovely and offered both my mother and I champagne the moment we walked in to celebrate my graduation. Another lovely employee toured us around the locker room and got us set on our lunch menu. Another young gentleman working at the front desk was also very helpful and kind.

Spa: GORGEOUS. Lovely, peaceful decor, has every amenity I could want, and the services were spectacular. They had AMAZING dried fruits to sample! I meant to ask where they purchase these from because I'd love to have them at home! Same thing with their yummy almonds and cashews! The flavored waters were incredible, too. My facial was incredible--Catherine Slane-Carroll was incredible and really took the time to hear my concerns about my problematic skin and recommended a new regimen to try to keep skin under control. It was apparent that she was incredibly knowledgable and cared about my routine and concerns. She was also just sweet! Definitely the best facial I have ever had. My mom also agreed, as she also had the privilege to work with Cathy, too! I did not get their cards (so I apologize for not getting the names!) but my masseuse and manicurist/pedicurist were INCREDIBLE, too! So friendly and talented and got everything in order that we needed!

Room: We stayed in a one-bedroom, 1.5 bath suite that was beautiful. There was a lovely note from the manager congratulating me on my graduation as well as some yummy bath salts, lotion, and body wash. The bar was fully stocked with yummy beverages and snacks. We ended up using room service our entire time (we live in Chicago so we didn't need to tour/go to restaurants.... we wanted to relax!). The oven roasted chicken was awesome! The service was timely and the staff was great. The only one minor issue was that the menu in our room did not seem to be up-to-date with the current options in the kitchen. In addition, and this is a personal preference, I found the bed to be far too firm for myself (and mother agreed). Otherwise, lovely room with a gorgeous tub and shower, fantastic living room, and terrace.

Truly a great time--I know my mom was so thrilled she wants to celebrate her next wedding anniversary at the Waldorf Astoria! I certainly will be recommending the hotel and spa to friends and loved ones and look forward to being able to return! Thank you everyone for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Becca D,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your graduation and Mother’s Day. Your candid feedback is truly appreciated.
It gives me great pleasure to read that you had such a wonderful time at our Elysian Spa. Thank you for your kind remarks about Kerri, our Spa Director, Cathy and the entire Spa team. I will certainly share your comments with the entire staff for I know they will be equally pleased to learn of your recognition of our team’s efforts to create memorable moments for our guests. I am also pleased to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed our In Room Dining service. I will share your concerns regarding the menu with our Food and Beverage leaders. Your loyalty is truly valued. We will look forward to celebrate more special moments with you and your family, hopefully soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Waldorf Astoria Chicago is an amazing hotel. It has everything one could ask for when choosing a luxury hotel - location, service, size and decor of rooms, amenities, spa....simply put a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Marcy R,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am truly pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s location, décor, amenities and the quality of our service. We will certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back sometime in the very near future!

Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

As far as I can recall all of my hotel experiences, this is one is in my TOP 3, that's sure.

Not just that the hotel is in the best place ever in Chicago, but the environment and the ambiance is just priceless. OK, I said, it's nice of course, but what more? Here's "what more": asking what time we want the clean-up lady in our room; taxi, it is called promptly when needed; let us stay until our plane, without any sour faces, but as it were natural after 10am; helping with everything; clean rooms and get new soaps if needed, without asking (not like you have all the shampoo for 2 days when it gets empty, and you see a full one never more in your 2 weeks stay) etc. All these things help to prove your quality of stay, although in other hotels it should be normal too. Coffee maker? Kettle? It is in the room, you don't have to ask for it to have a nice tea of coffee in the room before exploring the town. You don't have to fight for anything.

This is an excellent hotel, and will definitely return ASAP.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Blanka M,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding you recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that we have become one of your top three hotel experiences. Your appraisal of our team and the quality of our products and services are greatly appreciated. We truly value your loyalty and will be looking forward to serving you and your family again when your travels bring you back into the Windy City.

Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Residential feel to this well-located hotel. Huge rooms and bathrooms. Our suite had a fireplace and balcony. Nice quality linens and towels. Excellent lighting, although it took a little while to learn how to use the system. Bellman service could have been faster, and it would have helped if he had explained the lighting. Beautiful courtyard entry, so nice not to be unloading the car on the street. The food is the reason for the 4 stars instead of 5. With so many fine restaurants in walking distance, don't bother with the hotel restaurant. Food is average at best, and the service was spotty and pretentious. Room service was prompt, but again, the food is not up to par. Free coffee in the lobby - good thing, since a "large" pot from room service is $16.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear TypeATraveler,

Thank you so much for your candid feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. Comments like yours enable our endless hunger for improvement of the quality of our daily services and products. It is with regret that I learnt that you found our culinary team’s creations not up to par. I will certainly share your concerns with our Executive Chef for further review. I am also sorry to read that you encountered some difficulties utilizing the lighting system in your room. I will ensure that our Director of Guests Services reinforces the importance of a room orientation for every guest who checks in.

On the other hand, I am pleased to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed the different amenities in the hotel and its location. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back, hopefully in the very near future!

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My experience at the Waldorf was nothing short of amazing! Initially in booking my appointment, there was some scheduling difficulties but Brianna (sp?) was tremendously helpful in going to greater lengths to get me a private training session for my wife and I and a couple's massage. This type of Service felt personal and worth the costs. Upon check in the facilities are immaculate and the staff is warm but not overbearing. The best thing about this spa vs. other guys (ahem Trump) is that it feels classy and subdued whereas Trump feels tacky. Even when you offer to tip (valet/instructor/masseuse) they are clealry coached into saying 'no, it's all part of the service'.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear ChiTownCold,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that our Spa team graciously and efficiently assisted you during your visit and that you and your wife enjoyed our Elysian Spa relaxing services. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding the quality of our product and services in general. I will share your kind comments with the entire staff as I know they will be equally pleased to know of your appraisal of their hard work and efforts to make our guests feel welcome. Our philosophy of service embraces genuineness and it’s performed without any expectations of receiving anything in return. We will look forward to welcoming you and your wife back, hopefully in the very near future!

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!