“Waldorf Chicago is Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, United States
“Waldorf Chicago is Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great stay, amazing service, wonderful spa, beautiful rooms, fantastic location, good food. We went for a Chicago staycation. Enjoyed massages at the spa and a lot of relaxing. Highly recommend! We will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Larry F,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your Chicago stay-cation. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the unique amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Elysian Spa and our restaurant Balsan. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our service; I will certainly share your appraisal of the team with the entire staff as it inspires our pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We highly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you and your travel companion back, hopefully very soon!

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Bettendorf, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

First Class all around. Every need met during our stay. Room amenities were impecable. It is always nice to enter a room and find your every need met including your own ice maker and ice box completely stocked with your bevererag needs. The dining experience was excelent from presentation to completion. Breakfast was a great start and the creative dinner menu on Sunday was out of this world. If you like wine the manager has done his homework vast selection for every price and taste. This is a must stay hotel when in Chicago, whether your alone or with a whole family this hotel will meet all of oyur needs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Dear David S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly excited to read that you enjoyed the different amenities our suites offer, and that you had memorable dining experiences in our restaurant Balsan. I will certainly share your kind remarks with the culinary and service team. Our Food and Beverage team has been working diligently on the wine and food Spring menus. They will be a fantastic new adventure for our diners. We hope you can come back soon to enjoy them. Thank you for recommending our hotel. We will look forward to serving you and your family again when your travels next bring you into Chicago.

Saint Louis Park, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

What an amazing experience. Staff top notch and so helpful. Love the courtesy car that is offered. The suites are spacious and very comfortable. Spacious closet and drawer space. Unbelievable bathroom and the spa FANTASTIC. It was also nice to have a fireplace and bar set up that included a microwave, ice that you do not have to run down the hall to get. Top notch!!!

Room Tip: Verify in advance if you are requesting s suite with a bedroom with doors that the bedroom is able t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear jack5511,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, with all of its unique amenities, and that you also had the opportunity to visit our Elysian Spa. I hope you experienced some of the amazing treatments it has to offer. We will look forward to welcoming you and your friends back when your travels next bring you to Chicago!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I decided to meet my friend in Chicago to celebrate her 35th birthday. We checked in on Friday and the hotel was beautiful and the lobby staff was wonderful. Unfortunately, on Saturday, housekeeping did not come until 4 pm and since we just returned from shopping all morning, we just asked her to just refresh the bathroom and provide more towels. Around 10pm, we started smelling cigarette smoke in our room (it is a non-smoking hotel and I'm pregnant) so they sent risk management to our floor and found out who was smoking- I assume the party next door. The front desk offered to switch rooms, but they only had a king suites available with only king beds. We figured since they already rectified the situation we didn't have to move at 11:00 pm.
Unfortunately, the group continued to smoke throughout the evening and the night ended with the party next door singing happy birthday with applause at 4:45 AM.
Fabulous. $400/night for a non-smoking hotel with smokers next door and minimal housekeeping service.
Wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear ShellyWeb,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your friend’s birthday and for the review of your stay. I am happy to read that the team made you feel welcome at the time of check in and that you enjoyed the beauty of the hotel. However, I am disappointed and truly concerned to read that the rest of your experience fell far below your expectations. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced due to the guests who were smoking and being loud next to your room and the lack of housekeeping service.

Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please contact me at the Executive Office. I would love the opportunity to make things right and find a way to have you stay with us again. On behalf of the entire team, we are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you and your friend on such a special occasion.

Apologetically,
Suwanee, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The rooms are elite. I happened to be upgraded to a suite and found it to be both comfortable and high end. Favorite aspects include a comfortable fireplace in the living room, a practical refreshment center with ice stocked for my needs, a very comfortable bed and an unbelievably quiet room (in terms of quietness in a hotel, this is the best I have experienced in 20+ years of business travel). Also, the bathroom rocks. The TV integrated into the bathroom mirror is very cool. I now "need this" at home! So... accommodations are elite and top notch!

From a business perspective, I would say this property is so-so. First, the mobile reception is spotty. I was there for 2 nights and morning of the next day and consistently had mobile calls drop. The in room phone wasn't much better. The speaker phone volume was painfully low making it impossible to use and the hand set cord was just not long enough to be effective. Made for a long morning for conference calls. The room service cost was over the top... a breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast and coffee = $60. I'm used to over the top hotel room service, but I'd call the Waldorf over, the over the top scenarios. However, if you're staying at the Waldorf... your either on business or well off, so the price tag probably is moot.

I also walked out to get a cab in the morning and there was no one to be found outside to help me... if you run into this situation, just walk out the courtyard to the road... and you'll typically see a line of taxis on the right. The area is a little sketchy, so if you don't see them, I'd walk back in and use the Uber app to get a black car for your needs or ask the front desk for help. Note: The 2nd day, I had about 3 people ask if I needed a car... so I suspect the "more" vs. "less" help is the norm at this place.

Beautiful place... not sure I'll be back for business stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Andrew H,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you found our accommodations elite and top notch. I am truly disappointed, however, to read about the many inconveniences you experienced during your visit; especially concerning the mobile reception and the absence of our team when you found yourself in need of assistance at the front door. I have shared your concerns with our IT, Engineering and Front Desk managers for internal review. Your patronage is highly valued. We will look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back so we can properly serve you.

Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Classy, consistent five star quality. Lobby elegant, great location, can walk to top retail and restaurants. Very . attentive staff. Never a problem, have stayed over 20 times....always have a great stay

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Paulam843,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay with us. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. I will certainly share your kind comments regarding the hotel and staff with the entire team as I know they will be very pleased to learn of your recognition of their efforts to make our guests' stay more pleasant. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Often stay at the Boulders (Waldorf Astoria property in Scottsdale) and love it so when booking a surprise overnight for husband's birthday, decided to try this one. Upgraded to Astoria Suite on one of the top floors (Lewis at front desk was great and very professionally gave us all of the room info, wished us a pleasant stay and then just said, "Happy birthday, sir" to my husband after escorting us to the elevator which made it an even more festive surprise. Fireplace was going in the beautiful living room when we walked in, very spacious bedroom with comfy king bed and extra down comforters in closet, enormous bathroom with deep soaking tub and large shower. Staff were universally soft-spoken, polite, attentive and none would accept tips. Room service continental breakfast overpriced but worth it as the room was so fabulous that we couldn't bring ourselves to leave it any sooner than we had to. Our new favorite local hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear LakeBluffer1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor and for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your husband’s birthday. I am pleased to read that we were able to offer you an upgrade and that you found comfort in your suite. Thank you for your appraisal of our team; I will certainly share your comments with the entire staff for I am sure they will also be pleased to learn of your recognition of their attention to detail and efforts to meet your needs. We are thrilled to learn that we have become your favorite hotel in the city. We can’t wait to welcome you back soon!

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!