“Wonderful stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$50 Summer Resort Credit
Ranked #7 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Austin, Texas
“Wonderful stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. After having a very mediocre experience at The Sofitel (another luxury hotel just down the street), I was hoping that my experience at the Waldorf Astoria would prove to be more positive. Indeed it was! This is probably one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at. The location is very convenient. The exterior of the building looks more traditional, but the inside of the hotel is ultra modern and chic. All the employees from the valet to the bell hop to the front desk people were all incredibly nice and professional. Room service was outstanding and they had a gorgeous spa on the 4th floor. Lastly, when I checked in they upgraded my room, so I got really lucky and ended up with the largest suite (one grade below the presidential suite)! Next time I ever go to Chicago I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear MariaLuvsNOLA,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City. I am sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience in your last hotel stay in the city; however, I am delighted to read that we provided you with a positive memorable visit.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our service team. Feedback like yours truly inspires our continuous pursuit of Excellence in everything we do. Your loyalty is truly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to personalizing your next visit when your travels bring you back into Chicago!

1,218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

When can I move in??? I loved my stay at this hotel!!! As a Chicago native, I have stayed at many downtown hotels while spending a night on the town, and this was BY FAR the best. The suite we stayed in was very elegantly and tastefully furnished (I find overly oppulent design to be gaudy). This was the perfect mix of elegance and simplicity. I absolutely adored sitting in front of the fireplace (I want my fireplace at home to have the same wrought iron now) and the bed, couches, etc. were so comfy. The bathroom - I don't think I have ever been in a deeper bathtub in my life. You could easily fit 2+ people in this bathtub. My husdand could not get me out of the bathtub, and you can watch TV from the bathtub (TV in the mirror). I was a little sad this wasn't an air bath, but was relieved this was not a jetted tub (jetted tubs gross me out from all the bacteria that grow in the jets). Overall, the deepness of the bathtub more than made up for the lack of the air bath (and there was plenty of hot water). The separate shower was also absolutely huge. Put it this way, I could have spent my entire stay in the bathroom and been perfectly happy. The suite was also very quiet. I was a bit worried when I initially walked down the hall as I noticed there was some overly excited teenagers on our floor (possible hotel party?). However, once I walked into the room I didn't hear a peep and everything was perfectly quiet. Also, the balcony is very large for a Chicago hotel. Some furniture would have been nice to have outside (it was the winter though, maybe there is outdoor furniture in the summer). The bed was also very very comfy (there could have been a few more pillows, but I am a freak that likes to sleep on at least 4 pillows every night, so most people would probably find the number of pillows sufficient). Another nice touch was the bathrobe. Also, the location of this hotel is the BEST in Chicago. It is perfectly located on the gold coast close to restraunts/nightlife near Rush/Division, my favorite shops at your doorstep (this area has even better shops than Michigan Ave, imo), short walk to Michigan Ave., and short walk to downtown beaches in the summer). Also, brunch was soooo good (get the eggs benedict), and the service was at the restaurant was great!! Finally, I think the best part of the hotel is that the room, hotel, etc. fits Chicago. I have been to many 5 star resorts/hotels throughout the world, and the best ones are the places that fit the locale (if you put this hotel in Fiji, it would not fit; however, if you put a Fijian Bure in Chicago, that also would not fit). Overall Review: Stay here if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Stay in a suite!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Liz M,

Thank you so much for such positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you found at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago your “home away from home.” Thank you for your gracious comments regarding our guest rooms and all their unique amenities, the hotel location and the food and service in our restaurant Balsan. Please next time you visit with us, do not hesitate requesting more pillows for your bed. We will be delighted to provide you as many as you need.

We truly value and appreciate your patronage and can’t wait to welcome you and your travel companion back in the very near future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

No lapse in stellar service here! From our arrival to departure, exemplary service prevailed. Usually you'll experience ONE stand-out employee that makes your visit a pleasant one, with it lacking in other service areas. Here, at the Waldorf-Astoria Chicago, all staff employees, from doorman, to front staff, to housekeeping, to account manager, we're dedicated professionals, providing "above and beyond," service! I was able to quickly unwind and feel at ease by the first couple of minutes in our suite. Usually I'm tearing the beds apart and checking bathrooms to find something that needs to be cleaned properly....oh no, not here. The room was perfection, and everything was immaculate. This is somthingI've never experienced during any of my travels around the world....a rarity, indeed. I was happy to relay to staff that I would be spreading the word of my of-so-exceptional visit to their superior hotel. Walfdorf-Astoria Chicago has gained a loyal customer!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a luxury suite.....you will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Dee A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly delighted to learn that you found comfort in your suite and that our service team was able to graciously assist you throughout your visit. Thank you so much for recommending the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Easily the best place to stay in Chicago. Great location and amazing staff. Beautiful hotel! Rooms have great amenities and very nice balconies which you dont see too often. There is no decision, stay here! Oh and the spa is absolutely beyond words.....great gym and indoor pool too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear CSCFBahamas88,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your last experience at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed your room, with its unique amenities, especially its balcony, and our Elysian Spa and Fitness Club. Thank you as well for your kind words regarding our service team and for recommending the hotel. Your patronage is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Cannot say enough wonderful things! We spent Saturday night and had a wonderful time. We had reserved one suite and our other room was upgraded to a suite. It was our 27 year old son's birthday, and the room made the Chicago trip even more special.

The quality of this hotel is pervasive throughout!

Will definitley be back. Thank you.

Room Tip: I think any room would be great! Suites give you lots of space.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Champaign1,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your son’s birthday this past Saturday. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your suites and that you would love to visit us again. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to personalize your next visit, hopefully in the very near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The Waldorf Astoria is a stunning hotel in a wonderful location! We had a very spacious room with sitting area, fireplace, and a beautifully stocked bar complete with ice. The property is one of the best locations in Chicago. During our stay, we walked a few short blocks down the street for afternoon tea and all the shopping one could want.
I cannot say enough regarding the impecable service. Everyone, from the staff at Bernard's Bar, to the driver of the hotel car, did an outstanding job!
Well deserving of the #1 hotel in Chicago, and their spot on the "World's Best" list.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear p0tter32,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City and for your positive feedback with regard to your experience. I am excited to read that you find the hotel’s location ideal and that you found your suite comfortable, warm and welcoming. I truly appreciate your kind comments regarding our service standards. Feedback like yours inspires our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. I will certainly share your remarks with the rest of the team.
We can’t wait to our next opportunity to serve you, hopefully in the very near future!

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Perfect location! Excellent hotel. Staff was wonderful! Rooms incredible! My family was impressed with all the amenities. My favorite part is I didn't have to reach in my pocket to give tips, it was included in the room rate.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Thomas D,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We truly value your feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s location, your room with all of its unique amenities, and our no tipping policy. Also, thank you for your kind words regarding our service team. It’s rewarding to read that we were able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back when your travels next bring you to Chicago!

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!