“Stellar Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Summer Resort Credit
Ranked #6 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Longmont, Colorado
“Stellar Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The WAC merits its high ranking as a luxury hotel, but it's the people that make it a place I'd recommend without reservation. Everyone always (without exaggeration) was smiling, friendly and helpful, and unpretentious about it (a key component, in my opinion, to staying at a place you are calling "home" for a short time;and often lacking at high-end properties). WAC still has their no-tipping policy (confirmed by the front-desk person who showed me to my room) and the philosophy behind this is evident throughout. Even small annoyances (such as a beeping fridge that had to be reset by maintenance because housekeeping had left the ice drawer open) are made inconsequential when promptly handled with an apology and a smile.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Linda80504,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us and for your kind remarks about our service team. Comments like yours inspire our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. Our philosophy of service is to give with no expectations of receiving anything in return, except our guests' desire to visit with us again and to discover at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago their home away from home. We truly value your feedback and will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

1,258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Everything was beautiful. Restaurant was very accommodating to our special needs. Location was close to shopping and good restaurants, but the next block over was rather seedy and uncomfortable for walking.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear savta2007,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us and for choosing Balsan for one of your dining experiences in the Windy City. I am delighted to learn that our culinary team was able to create an appetizing menu that was right for you and your travel companion/s. Your patronage is highly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The spa is gorgeous and well managed by Kerry Strokes. Kimberly's fitness classes are worth planning your day around. If you want friendly and great service at Balsan, ask for Kelly. Arland, the house car driver, is a pleasure and a lifesaver during Chicago's cold winter.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Sarah R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly delighted to read how much you enjoyed our Elysian Spa and Health Club. Your kind remarks about our team members, Kerri, Kimberly, Kelly, and Arland, are highly valued. I will make sure to share them with the rest of our staff. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the very near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here last weekend with my boyfriend in celebration of my birthday. Being from Chicago, it takes a lot for us to feel like we're on vacation in our own backyard - but this did the trick!

All I have to say about the room was WOW! We stayed in the Gold Coast Suite. Everything, from the beautiful fireplace to the bathroom mirror television, was visually stunning. I never wanted to leave!

The service was generally on par with the quality of the room. I was a little dismayed by the quality of the check-in. The agent barely spoke to us, and just handed over the keys. Not something you would expect at this kind of hotel. However, the rest of the staff that I encountered at this hotel was excellent, professional, and friendly. The hotel has a strict no-tipping policy and Wifi was free - both were wonderful surprises!

I headed down to the spa area before I left to check out the pool and other facilities. The pool was beautiful. Its indoors but has sort of an "outdoor" feeling to it because it is so light. I could have seen myself lounging there all day! The locker room facilities contained a steam room, sauna, and whirlpool and all looked very nice. There was a wait to use one of the showers in the locker room though, which I thought was sort of unusual.

The wait for the elevators was terrible. I think this may have been because one of them was broken versus just slow elevators in general, but I just wanted to point that out if that wasn't the case.

Overall, I was very impressed by the quality of the rooms and the professionalism of most of the staff here. I would certainly love to come back one day!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear hollyx113,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate such a special occasion. I am truly delighted to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you found all of its different amenities unique and enjoyable. Thank you also for your kind remarks regarding our service team. Comments like yours inspire our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do.

I regret, however, to read the unfortunate incidents you experienced with our elevators and your check in process. I have shared your comments with our Director of Guest Services for further review. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to the opportunity to celebrate many more special occasions with you and the ones you love.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I chose the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for a one night get-a-way. As having had the opportunity to stay at some of Chicago's other wonderful hotels, we were really looking forward to a outstanding experience at the Waldorf.

The Good
The hotel staff was truly fantastic. From the valet, to the check in agent, to the bellhop, to the building engineer (who we unfortunately got to know due to numerous problems with our room). The location is also fantastic. The hotel is minutes away from anything you could want in the way of food or shopping.

The Not-so-Good
Here is a list of things that were wrong with the room:
- the fire place did not work.
- some of the cable channels (hbo, show time) did not work
- the television in the bathroom did not work
All of the above items were fixed by the staff engineer.
Below is a list of items that were annoying that we did not call the engineer for:
- the faucet for the soaking tub had a leak and soaked the bathroom floor
- every time the hvac system kicked on, one of the vents in the room rattled loudly. I could not figure out which one it was.
- the coffee table in the living room area was about to fall apart to the point we were afraid to rest anything on top of it
- the extra linens for the room are stored in a sealed bag in the closet. The zipper to the sealed bag was broken so we were not able to access the extra pillows.
- the refrigerator drawer would not stay closed, so the alarm kept sounding. I was able to lean a suitcase up against it to keep it closed.
- the sofa in the living room smelled really bad

Also, the view leaves a lot to be desired. We were on the fifteenth floor, I believe the views would be a lot better on higher floors.

In summary, great staff, great location but the rooms should be really gone through and assessed.

With numerous other options for top notch hotels in Chicago (trump, four seasons, etc) I'm not sure the Waldorf would be our first choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear midwestsmiths,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Feedback like yours enables our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. Thank you also for your kind words regarding our service team. I am delighted to learn that you were efficiently assisted throughout your visit and that you found the hotel’s location quite convenient. On the other hand, I am terribly sorry about the inconsistencies you experienced in the quality of our product. I have brought your concerns to our Executive Committee for further review and immediate action. I will look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Pure elegance. Been looking forward to a stay here and my wife and I escaped from the kids for a night downtown. We live in Chicago so this is all about the hotel. Who cares about going outside! Fireplace, amazing shower and super spa. Haven't eaten here yet but I am sure it is amazing. Didn't get an upgrade as I was hoping but the hotel is booked. Oh well. It is pricy but the no gratuity policy both saves money and fits the hotels style.

• Stayed January 2013
Bingham Farms, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Just stayed at the Waldorf on another business trip and they fully lived up to their reputation! Friendly and accomodating service along with world-class accomodations - everything you would expect from a hotel of their caliber. If you are looking for the best place to stay in Chicago, the Waldorf Astoria is it hands down!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jeff S,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last business trip into the Windy City. I am delighted to read that you felt welcome and that our service team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit. We truly value your patronage and can’t wait to welcome you back when your travels next bring you to Chicago either on business or pleasure.

Richard R. Evanich

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!