“Top Hotel in Chicago” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #5 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lansdowne, Virginia
“Top Hotel in Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I travel to Chicago almost every week and stay at the Waldorf Astoria. It's a quiet hotel, rooms are classy, and the staff if extremely helpful but not over the top.

I highly recommend staying at this hotel when in Chicago.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear mikecrav,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your regular visits to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to learn that you have chosen the Waldorf as your hotel of stay in the Windy City. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our rooms and our service team and for recommending our hotel. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you back on your next business trip to Chicago.

Tel: (312) 646-1300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Kitchener
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

It was my wife's 50th birthday, and since American Airlines now services our city with direct flights to Chicago, I decided to take her there. The name "Waldorf-Astoria" has a certain panache, so that was my choice. A week before our trip, I received an email from a Roman Suhs, who said he was our personal conceriage? Anything special we wanted, he would arrange. So ....a dozen roses and a bottle of champagne.

First thing we noticed, when we pulled up to the hotel (impression ... absolutely beautiful), there was a small army of well dressed, very polite gentlemen who handled our luggage. They refused the tip I offered ... wow. We were somewhat early, so they stored our luggage for us. The lobby was austere but tasteful, and there was a lounge area that was somewhat warmer looking with a open fireplace, all decked out for christmas. The front desk took my cell phone number, and said they would call when our room was ready.

We wondered around Chicago for a few hours, and we got the call about our room at 1 ... earlier than I expected. When we got to our room, our luggae was waiting for us ...plus the roses and champagne. Took my wifes breath away. The room itself had a fully stocked bar with snacks, a living area with a fireplace and flat-screen TV, huge bedroom with a great view of the city, and an enormous bathroom with a marble bath tub, big stand up shower, two sinks, and a seperate and enclosed toilet. The room was decorated in the same modern-austere as the lobby we both quite liked. Nice warm fluffy robes come with the room.

We were there for three nights ....enjoyed every minute of it. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel runs like a well oiled machine. We had room service a few times, which was prompt and the food was very good. We had tower of sea food one night ... cold lobster and shrimp plus raw oysters and clams in a four high serving platter full of ice. Yum. We had breakfast there one morning, and the food and service was great. There is a very comfortable bar as well.

Location wise, the hotel is near innumerable bars, restaurants , shops ...you name it.

Downside? Well .... this place is not for the economically minded. It is expensive. (You can save some money, however, by paying the full amout of your stay up front. You save about 10%.) That being said, I don't mind paying what I paid for the fabulous time we had. Also, the restaurant and room service tack on an 18% gratuity automatically. This annoys me in most places, but the service was so good I would probably ther, have paid that anyway.

All in all, my wife had the best birthday ever, so thanks to Roman and the wonderful staff at the Waldorf for a truly memorable time. We will be back.

Room Tip: Try getting a room facing East .... better view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KitchenerWelshguy,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor and for celebrating such a special occasion with us. I am delighted to learn that you and your wife enjoyed the décor in the hotel, our room service, the food in our restaurant Balsan, our bar Bernard’s and the hotel’s location. Thank you for your kind remarks about Roman. I am thrilled that he and the team were able to make your wife’s birthday a little more special. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you in the very near future!

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the Waldorf last week. We were in a king suite. I was just at the waldorf in July, so was excited about visiting again, as it was for my 40th birthday & was a surprise!
The room was a nice suite, service was courteous as usual but the bed hurt my back terribly bad for two nights. I went to the spa for a massage to try to deal with the pain, as I have back issues if not sleeping on a good mattress. On the third night I asked the front desk about the matresses to find out that they had five specialty mattresses in select rooms!! They were kind enough to move us to another suite with the mattress that I apparently had stayed in before. I guess that after staying at The Four Seasons & Ritz each time I visited...that there would not be different mattresses in each room. fyi
The spa was beautiful. Very well worth visiting and spending some time in. The servies were very good.
The service at the hotel is good. We were able to use the car service several times during the stay and the drive was incredibly nice. The hotel is in a wonderful location for dining & shopping.
The one fault.... the concierge whose name I won't mention recommended a restaurant for the night of my ((40th)) birthday. It was the snobbiest service & terrible food...so much so that we couldn't take another minute & ended up leaving after the third course. It was a waste of time & money. After traveling all over the U.S. (read some of my reviews) and having amazing service & dinners...I was incredibly sad that my birthday dinner was ruined! You only turn 40 once!
It was late & everything was booked up. No place to go! We told the concierge that was on duty what had happened. He apologized.
The one who made the reservation has yet to contact us about this! I find this to be very poor service and it has left a bad taste in our mouth about the service at this hotel. We have stayed at top hotels in the country and I feel certain that the concierge at Four Seasons Resort Hawaii At Hualalai, Meadowood, or many others probably would have contacted us....after all...it was only a birthday. :(

Room Tip: If you have back problems ask about the mattresses!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, Director of Hotel Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear tootlepops,

Thank you so much for choosing again the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay in the Windy City and for your review of your recent visit with us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, our House Car Service and our Elysian Spa. However, I am terribly disappointed and concerned that the remainder of this second experience, especially with regard to the mattress and our Concierge Service, was far below our standards.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak to you and discuss what can be done to have you stay with us again in the future. I can be contacted at kathryn.m.day@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 312 646 1404.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you personally.

Kathryn Day
Director of Hotel Services
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

So when your rated No. 1 the water mark is high. Here's my thoughts; first, for the money, your suites should not have stained carpets, NO WAY!!! I'm guessing in the hotel world the carpet issue is difficult, however, YOUR no. 1! Number 101 I wouldn't make such a big deal. But its just gross, and when you get the bill, it make even more disappointed. The suite itself, MANY bells and whistles some great touches, like bottled beverages, but really no Bottle/wine opener? The pullout bed very ordinary, and uncomfortable.
The service is all awesome, from clean rooms to getting food, you cant go wrong. I would say that there maintence issue maybe a bit lacking. I brought family and my little guy and I are outside and he's playing on the cement parking post, as were waiting for the car, and this cemented post, literally comes out of ground, and tips over on my leg.... The things weighs almost 50 pounds; right on my leg!!! NO I didn't sue, BUT, Y'know its the Waldorf Astoria, and I had a post fall on me. Thank goodness the injury only ruined the rest of my stay and not anything more serious. When you are the best, its not good enough to get to the top of the mountain, its the challenge of STAYING on top of the mountain that keeps you Number 1. I would say also, it may not be the best option for families with youngsters, as kids like to go swimming, and make noise in a pool, well, people staying at that hotel want to go to the pool for peace and quiet. Tough to do when you have kids doing belly flops. Would I go back?? yes....I'm just disappointed in having to deal with the same kind of drama of a holiday inn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear shappyhappy,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. We truly value your feedback, for comments like yours enable us to continuously strive for improvement in the quality of our services and products. I am delighted to learn that you found the quality of our food and service enjoyable. However, I am truly disappointed and concerned about the remainder of your visit, especially with regard to the unfortunate incident in the courtyard and the problem with the carpet in your room. I have brought your concerns to our Director of Hotel Services' attention for further review. We truly value your loyalty, and we will look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you and your family.

Tinley Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here this past Saturday night as a short get away. We live local so this was quite the treat! I had read the reviews here and heard about the press in Conde Nast and we were truly pleased beyond our expectations. The hotel itself is stunning both outside as well as inside. Everyone treats you warmly and kindly and goes out of their way to make sure all your needs are met. A toothbrush kit including mouthwash was immediately brought up by housekeeping as soon as I called.
We stayed in the Astoria king one bedroom suite which was huge! 2 bathrooms, amazing soaker tub, super comfy couch, warm fireplace, lovely large balcony. Decor is serene with gray and white tones throughout. Bed is absolutely comfortable and linens are soft and white. Plenty of room to stay one night or one week.
The house car service was perfect and Art got us to our destination with time to spare. We had a lovely conversation on the way over- he is truly a gem!
We had breakfast at Balsan which was delicious--coffee and oj were perfect. Thought it was great that the staff reminded us that gratuity was included.

The ONLY unfortunate things which are do minuscule but I must bring up (because I know the hotel manager reads these) are:
The slippers they provide do not even fit on your feet. I am a task girl but the slipper could not go beyond the width of my foot, let alone the length! We kind of laughed that one off. Invest in new larger, wider slippers!

And our phone rang at 3:30 am- it was in room dining confirming our order for food....unfortunately we were sound asleep. Those calls are never fun but I kindly let them know they had the wrong room and that we were sleeping. ( must've been a VIP to get room service at that time...or a bad prank). Either way, those were the only negatives.

We wish we had more time to stay and we hope we can make it back there one day soon. We do not get away much, especially without our children, and we learned that this is definitely the way to go it and the hotel we would live to return to.

Sincerely
Waldorf Fans

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Jennifer o,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your Astoria suite with all of its different amenities, the hotel’s décor, our House Car service and our restaurant Balsan. Thank you for your kind comments regarding Art. I will certainly share them with the entire team.

I regret, however, to read about the late phone call you had and the problem with your slippers. I truly apologize for the inconvenience the phone call caused. In regard to the slippers, we do have them in a small and a large size. The team would have been pleased to bring you a more comfortable pair. On your next visit, do not hesitate to request a different pair should you need to. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you back, hopefully very soon.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I recently spent a night in Chicago at the Waldorf Astoria. We were upgraded to a suite which was incredible. Room service was very good - the food arrived in time and HOT! They have a no tip policy for the staff. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear houston1949,

Thank you for your review of recent stay with us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, our In Room Dining service and our no tipping policy. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the very near future!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Nicest big city hotel I've stayed in. As good or better than the Palmer House suite I had years ago. The Waldorf is a little out of the way, about 2-3 blocks off Miichigan and maybe 12 blocks north of the river. Easy walk to many nice store if it is not too cold. The hotel, the room, the spa were all 5 star. Sophisticated, well healed, and friendly. I would stay there again. Yeah, it is expensive, and so is the food. But it is the Waldorf and it is in the one of the top 5 cities in North America. It was great.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a king suite for a hundred dollars. It was worth it. BUt, I think they were a litt...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear P S,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, the Elysian Spa and the hotel’s décor and ambiance. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels next bring you to Chicago either on business or pleasure!

Tel: (312) 646-1300

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!