“One Night Wonder” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #5 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
UK
“One Night Wonder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed in the Waldorf Astoria for one night in September this year on our visit to Chicago. we pulled up at the hotel and the polite valet welcomed us and took our car and we was checked into the hotel promptly by the desk staff. We was shown to our room and the bellboy offered to take our bags.

The twin room was huge by city standards and felt very fresh and modern. The room was equipped with a huge tv, speaker with ipod dock and even a tv in the bathroom mirror! Unfortunately i didn't have time for a bath so didn't make use of the novelty.

We arrived in the afternoon and went out for dinner in the city so didn't make use of the Hotel's restaurant. I did use the hotel minibar which had a great collection but wasn't priced as bad as you'd expect from a hotel of this quality. The beds were really comfy and i had one of the most amazing nights sleep i've ever had. While we was out the maid serviced our room in the evening.

We checked out late morning stress free, apart from the valet bill which was over $50 for one night! I did try to tip the valet driver but he turned it down (probably felt sorry for me for forking out so much!).

Summarised this is a great hotel in a great location in the heart of Chicago and is definitely recommended. It's quite pricey as you'd expect, but compared to other 5* Hotels it wasn't priced badly at all really. Would definitely return

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Aearin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am truly excited to learn that you and your family enjoyed your room, especially the comfort of our beds, the hotel’s location, and that our service team efficiently assisted you throughout your visit. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you and your family back hopefully in the very near future!

Tel: (312) 646-1300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Great location, amazing room, very large spacious bathroom with a huge tub and TV in the mirror, breakfast spot on and great food at lunch. The service was great overall, except for the front desk who seemed very bored or just very tired (we arrived around 11 pm).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear LorelaiUSA,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that you found our guestrooms, especially the bath tub and the TV mirror, enjoyable and that the food from our restaurant Balsan was to your like. I apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced in the quality of our service. I have brought your concerns to the Guest Services Manager’s attention. Feedback like yours enables us to continue to improve our daily performance and quality of our product. We will look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you when your travels next bring you to Chicago.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed at the Waldorf in Dec. 2012 and absolutely loved it. The location of the hotel cannot be beat--right in the Gold Coast area, around the corner from all the high-end stores and a short walk to Michigan Ave. I had the Astoria suite which was enormous--nice size living room with working fireplace and a good sized balcony overlooking the city and the lake, a litte bar area, a big bedroom with a separate dressing area, and an enormous bathroom with shower and separate soaking tub and a two sinked vanity. The overall decor is contemporary/modern but comfortable. The bed was also very comfortable and the amenities top-notch. The service was exceptional. For example, we asked for a taxi to go to a restaurant and the hotel drove us in the hotel car instead. The hotel is a "no tipping" hotel where all services are included in the rate. That took a little getting used (feels odd not to tip bellmen). There is free wi-fi in the room and the internet connection was very fast. The conceirge was extremely helpful in arranging transportation, restaurant recommendations, etc. All in all, an excellent hotel. I want to go back to Chicago just to stay in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear 1LATraveler1,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the privacy of our Astoria Suite and all of its unique amenities, the hotels décor, our house car service, and our no tipping policy. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our service staff. I am happy to read that the team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay. We truly value your loyalty and we will look forward to serving you and your friends again in the very near future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel was fabulous. I travel to Chicago almost every other week and was VERY fortunate to stay at the WA. The service was fantastic, we were running late to a meeting and they offered us the hotel car to get there in time. The rooms had great bathrooms (large showers, tv's in the mirror's), which every girl needs. I along with my coworkers all had suites, with living rooms, fire places, ice makers in the room and we all LOVED this hotel. It's close to walk to shopping, restaurants etc, The only thing we didn't love was the hotel bar, but since there are so many others so close, it was not an issue. A special thank you to Roman at the front desk, for helping to get our clients checked in so smoothly, above and beyond service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Ellen M,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, with its different amenities, the hotel’s location, and that our service team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay. Thank you for your kind words with regard to Roman’s performance. I will certainly share your comments with the entire team. I regret that our bar did not meet your expectations, but I am happy to learn that this didn’t affect your overall experience with us. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you when your travels next bring you to Chicago!

Cherry Hill, NJ USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

It wasn't until I went to write this review that I learned this was the #1 rated hotel in Chicago. This is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms are nothing short of spectacular. My suite was like a studio apartment with a fireplace, work area, huge bathroom (with TV embedded in the mirror so I could watch and shave), comfortable bed, and enough closet space if I wanted to move in. The service in the hotel was simply perfect. Great location near Michigan Ave and all of the shopping one could want. It would pain me to stay anywhere else on my next visit to Chicago.

Room Tip: A lower floor my help with elevators which were sometimes slow.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear mschorr,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite, with all of its unique amenities, and the hotel’s location. Thank you also for your kind comments in regard to our service. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you back when your travels next bring you to Chicago either on business or pleasure.

Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The maid service was honest, the food in the restaurants was wonderful, the staff was welcoming. The hotel concierge went out of their way to help me locate the office that I was trying to locate for my interview. Without them, I may never have gotten my new job. Great hotel to start a new phase of my life in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Oscar R,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed our hotel’s décor, our restaurant Balsan, and that our Concierge team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay. Congratulations on your new job and good luck on this new phase in your life. We will look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the very near future!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The WA Chicago is a quiet, friendly, comfortable home base for me when I'm in Chicago. I stayed there for the first time in October 2013, returned in November, and am returning again this December! :)

The location is convenient to so many things - Magnificent Mile shopping is basically outside your door; it's also easy to get to other places around town via a nearby Red Line stop, major bus routes (up and down Michigan Ave., Clark, Dearborn, etc.), and the WA's free house car when available. It's surrounded by hustle and bustle, but once you step inside the little courtyard, it's like you're entering another world of warmth and quiet. (Having the courtyard in front is also very convenient when being dropped off/picked up.)

I've stayed in a Deluxe and Astoria suite and both are very roomy. The bathroom is huge. The shower has great water pressure, and having the separate tub is a nice touch. The gas fireplace makes the living room really cozy. I never thought I cared about having a fireplace, but the one at the WA makes me want to put one in my own apartment. :)

I had learned of the hotel's no-tipping policy before I stayed there and thought it sounded nice, but I didn't realize *how* nice it would be until I actually stayed there. It's so refreshing to be helped by staffers who *never* have their hands out for tips. Staffers are generally very friendly, warm, and attentive to your needs. Having the house cars available is also great.

Is everything 100% perfect? No. The fitness room could be a little bigger and have a few more machines - at times, the treadmills were all in use. I also found it surprising that the housekeeping staff did not always vacuum the carpets each time they cleaned the room (a couple of times, I happened to be in the room doing some work while they came in and cleaned, so I was able to notice they didn't vacuum). The front desk could also be overwhelmed at times - sometimes there was a fairly long line. The bar also could be open later on Sunday nights.
The TV in the bathroom mirrors always took a while to work. At times, it was also confusing as to whether the house car was available or whether a taxi was coming. I also received macarons at turndown the first night and not any other nights - it would be a nice touch to always provide them.

However, overall, this is an incredibly comfortable and delightful hotel to stay at. It's like having your own very stylish apartment with a staff ready to meet your needs. I have felt well cared for both times I've stayed there. I look forward to returning in a few weeks!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear thegreatlizby,

Thank you so much for visiting us again and for posting your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoy our guest rooms, especially the warmth of the fireplaces, the hotel’s location, and our no tipping policy. Our philosophy of service is to give without expecting anything in return, except our guests’ desire to stay with us again. Thank you also for your kind comments in regard to our service staff, I will share them with the entire team.
We truly appreciate your feedback regarding our fitness center, the hours in our bar Bernard’s, our front desk, our televisions in the bathroom mirrors, and housekeeping. I will bring your concerns to the directors of all the different departments’ attention. We truly value your loyalty and look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you when your travels next bring you to Chicago.

Tel: (312) 646-1300

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!