“Outstanding Concierge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Outstanding Concierge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I want to give a compliment to Al, the concierge at the Waldorf Astoria who made reservations - hard to get - hair salon recommendations and sent off packages - when I tried to tip him he declined as the hotel is non-tipping - I found that most unusual and wanted to say thank you Al for making my stay very enjoyable - Jane King

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Jane K,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback in regards to our concierge Al. He is a great asset to our team. I will definitely share your kind comments with him and the entire staff. Our hotel’s definition of luxury does not include tips but does include welcoming our guests with genuine warmth and desire of being of assistance. Giving without the expectation of receiving is the Waldorf Astoria Chicago way. We will look forward to your next visit, hopefully in the very near future.

Tel: (312) 646-1300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Truly an outstanding experience. The location could not be nicer, especially for those who like to walk around and check out a few stores during the stay. The front desk could not have been more helpful. Compared to other luxury Chicago hotels, such as the Trump, the pricing was high but not $25-bottle-of-water absurd. The employees at the hotel do not accept tips under any circumstances, a refreshing surprise and a sign of great customer service. Rooms are sleek and elegant, with modern hotel-masculine decor. The Waldorf Astoria Chicago lived up to its reputation as one of the premier hotels in Chicago, if not the country.

Room Tip: High floors. Ask if Presidential Suite is available. You can negotiate it way down, as in from $6000...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear 5staraficionado,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am thrilled to learn that you enjoy the hotel’s décor and location, our guest rooms, and our not tipping policy. Our service team truly believes in serving without expecting anything in return except our guests' desire to visit with us again. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you back when your travels next bring you to Chicago.

Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have been lucky enough to travel to some of the top hotels in the country and visit their spas, but nothing has ever come close to the wonderful Elysian spa at the Waldorf Astoria. Not only is the service impeccable every time I visit, but the decor is beautiful and the services are unbelievably relaxing. If you are looking for the best facial you will ever experience, ask for Cathy who will leave you glowing! She is one of the most kind people you could ever meet, and you will be stunned by how beautiful your skin looks after just one session with her. I am so fortunate to only live about an hour away from this amazing spa, and I HIGHLY recommend that you make an appointment even if you aren't staying in the hotel. It's the perfect afternoon getaway for some relaxation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear KC M,

Thank you for your positive feedback and for recommending our Elysian Spa. Feedback like yours truly inspires us to continue to pursue excellence in everything we do. I will share your kind comments with Kathy and the entire team. She is indeed a great asset to our team. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the very near future!

Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a combination business meeting/couples weekend. On line reservation process was easy and, from what I could tell, truly the lowest published rate. Prior to arrival the concierge recommended restaurants and travel arrangements from the airport. On arrival our room was ready, bags serviced with tip offered but not accepted, as this is a no-tip property. Welcome half bottle of wine arrived after our luggage drop.The room/suite was luxurious, clean, and updated (see pictures). Bed slept well. I did not appreciate any road noise or disturbances. All of our requests were answered without issues. They do have a first-come-first-served 'local' car that is complimentary within a 2 mile radius; we did not opt to use it but a very nice touch. We tried the Cognac lounge, it was nice, but no desserts or finger foods offered. We brunched at Balsan, their restaurant, which was certainly an above average place. The location is great; easy walk to restaurants and the 'Mircale Mile' shopping. While we did not have any spa treatments, we did enjoy the lap pool, fitness area (very large and well equipped), eucalyptus steam room, jacuzzi, and sauna. All are well up-kept, peaceful, and not overcrowded. Yes, it is quite pricey, but the location, property, service, and spa amenities are truly in a class of their own.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear BougieKnight,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent visit with us and for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay in the Windy City when traveling on business & pleasure. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, your welcome amenity, our bar and restaurant, our Spa and Fitness Center and our no tipping policy.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our bar Bernard’s. Our Executive Chef and his culinary team have been eagerly working on a delicious and exciting bar menu that will go live in a few days. I am sorry that you and your wife were not able to enjoy it; however, I will look forward to welcoming you both back soon so you can perhaps enjoy some of our Spa treatments and our new delectable bites in Bernard’s.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at this pricey hotel for the first time the weekend of 10/12-10/15. Because I booked my accommodations through a particular high-end hotel booking site, I was automatically upgraded from a Waldorf Suite to a Astoria Suite.

The suite was good sized, well appointed and smartly decorated. The people at the front desk were responsive. It would have been a very positive experience except for one main issue and one not so major issue.

The "not so major issue" first: instead of our 'welcome gift' waiting for us in our room when we arrived, it showed up shortly after we arrived. Minor but hey, for the price, having it show up after we were already in the room kind of diminished the effect.

The "major issue": housekeeping was really subpar, especially considering the price of the room. Granted, I'm a little hypervigilant when it comes to details, but again, considering the price....I spent the first 30 minutes in the room wiping off easily removed stains/smudges from furniture and the otherwise beautifully painted grey walls. The worst though was finding a 3/4" long, dried, green snot on the wall next to the toilet. OK, sorry, gross but true and probably a deal breaker for a future stay. I did not complain at the time because my companion was so enamored with the room that I didn't want to ruin the experience for them.

I hate focusing on probably the lowest compensated folks at the hotel, but what they do is so important to contributing or detracting from the experience of a hotel stay. One last housekeeping gripe: as part of the 'turn down service' they automatically open up the sofa bed in the parlor. Each night the big, one piece sofa cushion that they remove was in a different place. No big deal except one night when it was in on the floor in the middle of the foyer and I tripped over it entering the darkened room.

This hotel has a lot going for it. It shouldn't be lessened by a very correctible problem.

Room Tip: High floor, facing north.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Wbm5,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your last stay with us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s décor and that our Front Desk team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit.

On the other hand, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the two unfortunate incidents that you encountered during your stay. I have shared your concerns with our Housekeeping Director for immediate action. Your feedback is a valuable tool for our continued pursuit of excellence. Unfortunately, these valuable lessons have come at your expense.

Should you wish to discuss your stay any further, I invite you to contact me directly. I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We celebrated another anniversary here so it's becoming a tradition. The Waldorf's location can't be beat...walk to the best shopping and dining and then return to luxurious pampering at the spa. For me, the best pizza ever is Lou Malnati's, an easy walk for deep dish goodness. I have stayed here a handful of times for girl's getaways, to celebrate anniversaries, and to re-charge the batteries. You may not immediately think an urban getaway will relax, but this hotel delivers. The staff are incredible and do not accept tips. The rooms are exquisite, most have terraces (in Chicago!) and the elegant bathroom will make you want to go home and just blow up your house (but maybe that's just me). I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We liked a higher floor away from the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear M R,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate such a special occasion one more time. I am delighted to learn that you truly enjoy the hotel’s location, our Elysian Spa, our hotel guest rooms, and our no tip policy. Thank you for your kind comments about our service team. We truly value your loyalty and we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you, perhaps on your next anniversary, hopefully sooner than that!

Wilson, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have stayed at a lot of very nice hotels that cost a lot more than this one, but I would have to say there is nothing like the Waldorf Astoria. The staff were extremely nice and knowledgeable about Chicago (and they would not accept tips, I always feel like I need to tip at nice hotels). The staff did not act stuck up like at some nice hotels, they made you almost feel like you were family asking you how your day was and all. Every detail in the rooms were thought out to be the best, carpet was soft, beds/pillows were comfortable, and the bathroom looked like a million bucks. It is in a great location to shop and eat. We were very pleased with everything and can not wait to go back next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Travelin4300,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your room, with all of its unique amenities, our hotel location, and that our service team efficiently assisted you throughout your visit. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to serving you and your travel companion again in the very near future!

Tel: (312) 646-1300

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!