“5-Star Hotel in River North” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Park & Save in Chicago
Ranked #9 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Texas
“5-Star Hotel in River North”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

stayed here for 1 night with family. the hotel lobby is very contemporary and covered in artwork. the entire staff is very friendly and attentive. we had an executive suite, complete with a bathroom, 1 king bed bedroom, and a living room with a sofabed and flatscreen TV.

the room even had a fireplace which made the room very cozy. the room was a little pricy at about $500/night, but if you utilize a lot of hotel services, bellhop, concierge, the best part is you don't have to tip because all the services are included with the price of the hotel, so feel free to take full advantage of their services.

Room Tip: executive suite can fit 4 people comfortably.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

1,139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
HOUSTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

When you arrive, there is no doubt that this is a Luxury property. I had read the glowing reviews on this website and knew that I had to stay here. The lobby is minimalist chic and our room (or should I say suite) was fabulous, large and very comfortable. It had a lovely fireplace which unfortunately, we didn’t need over the Labor Day weekend. There is a flat panel TV in living area and the bedroom and in the bathroom mirror (my favorite). Housekeeping was never seen but our room was spectacularly maintained during our stay.

As is not unusual over a long holiday weekend, there were 2 wedding parties staying at the hotel during the weekend of our stay. The first night I heard booming music until the wee hours of the morning. I thought it was from some nearby club, but I was told by the front desk that it must have been the wedding reception. The hotel offered a complimentary breakfast, but since we were otherwise so comfortable in our room, we declined, but thanked them for the gesture. In addition, Bernard’s (that I have read so many nice things about) was closed on the last night of our stay at the hotel (Sunday) so we decided to have a nightcap at Balsan. Big mistake – the service was horrible. It was only semi-crowded but it was like amateur night behind the bar. This hotel can do so much better than that.

We like to blend in with the locals when we are out-of-town and this hotel makes that a very easy thing to do since it is away from Michigan Avenue but within close walking distance to all of the high-end shopping and many great restaurants. Even with the problems, I would jump at the chance to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

The Elysian is a superior hotel as far as luxury, comfort and location. It is discretely located in the heart of the gold coast far enough from the busyness of Michigan Ave yet close enough to walk just about anywhere. The rooms are perfectly decorated, extremely clean and literally are cozy enough to feel like home. From the fireplace to large soaking tub you can't go wrong with this hotel.

Customer service was exceptional, we had room services a couple of times and we felt like the staff brought the restaurant to our room!

Room Tip: While all the rooms are great..definitely splurge on a suite facing the North end
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

The hotel is physically beautiful and well laid out, excellent access to courtyard from walton street. A walgreens across the street and a supermarket 1.5 blocks away are very convenient. The restaurant RIA is out of this world.
Staff are highly helpful and polite. Internet speeds were outstanding, better than Trump.
A few issues. The housekeeping people were often not very thorough. Perhaps this has to do with the no-tip policy? Once for turndown service they tried to just make up the bed and drop off bottles of water. As they were leaving I asked if they could put new towels in the bathroom, empty the trash cans, etc. The lady asked me "Was this room already made up today?" I said "Yes, but we've been using it since then." They skipped corners on cleaning up during regular room cleaning, too.
Also the light management system is irritating. Instead of simple switches and dimmers for the lights, they put in a space age system with up to 5 buttons for all the rooms with various presets. The big problem is that pushing "all on/off" in a suite affects all lights in all rooms of the suite, bathroom, bedroom, and living room. I really hated it when I was trying to sleep in the bedroom and someone in living room hits the "all on" button. Or when bathing with the lights off or low, and someone similarly hits "all on". What is the purpose of this system? If people wanted their lights to work this way, then people would have this system in their houses.
Anyway I dont want to gripe too much. An excellent stay, beautiful rooms. Overall I would still give the trump a slight edge in luxury. The kitchens at the trump are far larger and much much better appointed, no comparison. This hotel has better lighting in the rooms, though. I found it impossible to get enough light in Trump at night even with extra lights.
Overall this is a great property. I liked the no-tip policy, made things easier and I dont like having to worry about managing a small bills supply all the time. A great addition to the chicago hotel scene.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I was only there for a night for business but wish I could have stayed longer and shared the experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Everything was more than perfect, it was a true Paradise. The only thing I would recommend to check in clerk to be sure before surprising guests with upgrade. We were told that we were upgraded by 4 categories up when indeed it wasn't an upgrade at all, not even by one category, we stayed in the Executive Suite the exact accommodation we booked with hotel. Therefore, we didn’t stay in Premier Gold Coast Suite, or even Gold Coast Suite which would have been nice to have been upgraded to. Sorry, but I always do my homework and was familiar with all rooms' pictures and layouts. I inquired about our suite 3 times if this was indeed upgrade by 4 categories up and was told yes. I only hope that the check in clerk didn’t have the knowledge or perhaps innocently wasn't aware and merely read what was in the profile. In such situations, I prefer to remain silent and concentrate on all the good. Nevertheless, we were happy with the floor we stayed on, with the view which is very important to me, and I didn't tell my husband that we were not upgraded just not to spoil the momentum as one little thing like this can through you off…

The Executive suit was more than enough: specious, plenty of closets for our designer clothes - one big near the entry door and 2 individual closets across from bathroom. The bathroom was huge. The room was very clean every day. The furnishings/furniture, decor were in calm tones and all blended perfectly without any pieces outstanding the other thus creating pleasant atmosphere. I am not a picky type and never look for needle in the hey to find imperfections and instead see things beautiful and they were. The room had two true HD flat screen TV and 1 TV in the bathroom mirror, if you had stayed in new or refurbished hotels then you probably have seen TV in the mirror already, but in this hotel the picture was clear compare to other hotels we stayed in. We had gas fireplace which shots off by itself in case you foll a sleep. If you are cold at night there are down comforters in the closet. The art in the room was OK. The bathroom had good size sunken bath, separate shower with not see through glass in case some worry, nice vanity counter and sink. Marble all over. Finally comfortable bed and pillows. We loved everything about our room.

Anyway, we were told if we were not happy with the view or room to let the desk know and we would be offered another room, which is incredibly nice gesture; however, we were pleasantly happy to find out that our accommodation was already held for us and had a personal touch and care put into making it especially for us.

In all, our stay was beyond our expectations. Thank you for early check in, we needed it as we slept only 2 hours. Thank you for late check out as due to my disability, it took me quite longer to pack than I anticipated, plus the living area was so comfy that it made us lazy during our stay. Thank you to every door person for kindness/hospitality and addressing me by my name from the moment we arrived that's what you call service with class.
Thank you Dominique in Balsam the best waiter ever, we miss you already. Thank you to (forgot name) for the greatest facial ever - Age defying facial - I am back looking great again. Starting my vacation spending 3 hours in the spa was the greatest thing I have ever done for myself and highly recommend to all, because later you will not have time for the spa. Sorry I fell asleep during facial The entire spa experience was more than 5 stars: very clean, assistance from stuff and so much more, all in all that’s how the spa should be. By the way the lap pool and pool area looks much better than on the picture. Just so happy that I finally was able to visit Chicago and stay in the hotel of such caliber.

No tipping is excellent idea. Less headache and many may not realize, some people manage to drop things during tipping, happened to my mom once, she left money pouch in the taxi. The service was even better than in tipping hotels. The benefits of non tipping is refluxing, puts your mind at ease - once again great idea.

Room Tip: I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the pictures and layouts of accommodations. Get th...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Every single member of the hotel staff (excluding restaurant) we met during our stay was friendly, extremely professional and helpful. What was really impressive was the way that an individual owned a request instead of passing it off to others - e.g. when we were checking out the young lady who took the call for the luggage cart was the one who brought it to the room and helped pack the car. The hotel has a young staff who obviously take immense pride in their hotel - they always looked happy and came across as very enthusiastic.
The rooms and linens were sparkling clean however the towels could have been softer / fluffier. The beds were comfortable, however one side was very well used and it won't be long before the mattress will need replacing. The elevators were small and there were only two which resulted in a very long wait at busy times.
We thought the parking was good value and cheaper than a number of other hotels in the city, especially as they park the vehicles on site so they're available at a minutes notice (at other hotels it can take at least 15 minutes to get your car)
The location is very good - less than 5 minutes slow walk to the best shopping on Michigan Ave, but on a quiet street with a park only a block away.
Room service provided great food and it always arrived at the exact time it was ordered for.
The only disappointment was the day we ate breakfast in the restaurant - the room itself was dark, tables were very very close together, and the server was unfriendly, rude and disinterested. The food was also poor compared to room service.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!