“Most elegant and luxurious weekend celebration” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings - 15% off
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Most elegant and luxurious weekend celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I celebrated my 60th birthday weekend with a friend at the Elysian in Chicago. From the moment I walked in the lobby to time when the hotel provided driver dropped me off at the train it was an extraordinary experience. I travel a lot for business and often stay in very nice hotels in many cities in the US. The Elysian is in a whole new class for warmth, elegance, personal attention. Everytime we walked in the lobby door we were greated by name. All the staff are courteous, gracious and go out of their way to make your stay special. This is particularly notible given their strict refusal of any tips. You really feel you have hosts and that they all take pride in their hotel. We had excellent massages in the spa and used their other spa facilities several times. We did not eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food though the concierge made a fantastic recommendation for nearby restaurants and by calling ahead, made sure we had personal attention there from the chef and owner as well. It was an expensive weekend but tremendous value for the price. So often you can pay a high hotel rate and get nothing better than a boring chain hotel. This is a special event worth repeating (and saving for)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I will keep this short as you, dear reader, is probably as busy as I am. If you can afford the Elysian, stay here. It is incredible. I did my due diligence comparing the Peninsula, Ritz, Hyatt, etc. The Elysian has the best of all of these, on a manageable, intimate, discreet scale. Not only is it centrally-located with impeccably appointed rooms, but it is a place where the staff make you feel at home. No pretense. No attitude. No posturing for tips. This is the best team I've met in years and they make it their mission to give you an exceptional experience. Make sure to meet everyone you can - you never know where you'll get a great local insight. Be sure to have a drink at the hotel bar and a nibble at Balsan. My only criticism is that their gorgeous high-end restaurant Ria was a bit too fussy. Balsan seemed much more in-tune with the vibe of the hotel and what I was looking for as a guest. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

I had the pleasure of spending one brief evening here for a business trip and found myself wanting to stay a week. From the greeting at the door, to the check-in, to the spectacular room, every detail and all levels of service were outstanding. When I happened to mention upon check-in that I had a very early morning flight the next day, the front desk person asked what time I would like a wake-up call so that I would make my 6am flight. He even suggested I call room service and let them know, so that they could deliver a proper breakfast before my 4:30am departure. All I can say is - Wow. I travel the world for business and never have I been inclined to write a review. But this is wholeheartedly deserved and earned!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

We had a four night stay here in May 2011, and were very impressed by the quality of the room and the excellent service throughout the stay. Staff were helpful and polite, and the hotel is well placed for shopping. The bed was especially comfortable. RIA restaurant deaerves it's two Michelin stars.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

I was in Chicago for just one day and one night before flying off for meetings so decided to stay at the Elysian with my fiancee as I wouldn't see her for a while again afterwards. Valet parking took my car as soon as I pulled up and we were checked in quickly. We booked one of the Gold Coast Suites which was spacious, had a large living area, good size bedroom and dressing area. Bathroom had a large bath and separate double shower. Everything to do with the hotel could not be faulted, there were just small things to do with the service that marred the stay. Once we were in the suite, we were happy to stay there so we ordered room service. 50 mins after ordering, the food still hadn't arrived so I called down to chase. The food then arrived about 10 mins later but the french fries were like coal, surely whoever plated the meal could have seen that they were burnt and quickly cooked some more. I then called down for more ice and it never arrived. I think they must have been having a busy night when I stayed. When I went down to settle my bill in the morning, I explained what had happened to the chap on the front desk who laughed it off as if it was a joke. I know it wasn't that much of a big deal but I'd spent over USD600 on this room, the least I could've got was a sorry. As I was in a rush checking out, I had neither the time to wait for my bill to be calculated or to pack properly (I left a designer belt hanging in the wardrobe by mistake). I never heard from the hotel with an emailed copy of my bill (as promised) or to say that they had found my belt. Looking at the other comments on here, I'm pretty sure that they must have been having an off day/night with the service. The hotel and suite would tempt me to try again in the future, the service wouldn't.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Dear Guest,
I'm sorry for the service issues you experienced during your recent stay with us. While I’m delighted you enjoyed your suite, we fell short of expectations on several service points. Please allow me to connect with you privately in hopes of engaging a personal phone conversation.
Regards,
Kevin Robinson
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

stayed there on a short business trip.. the decor is wonderful, great customer service truly enjoyable. Would love to go there again. Their gym, spa and swimming pool is just marvellous..... you can also get private training lessons.... great place to stay after a hard days work......

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011 via mobile

The staff is welcoming and very attentive. Absolutely luxurious accommodations at an exceptional value. Thanks to all staff for making our five year anniversary stay one to remember.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Waldorf Astoria Chicago? Share your experiences!