“Great place to get away from your life and relax.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

You added Waldorf Astoria Chicago to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
“Great place to get away from your life and relax.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Modern and majestic modern hotel with amazing amenities. Very friendly staff. Great pool, gym, and spa. Very high quality food in retraunt. Overall excellent experience.

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
Tinley Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Best hotel experience in Chicago by far.....from the comp. room upgrade to all the personal touches.....we were very pleased....such a wonderful hotel tucked away on Walton St......we will be back without a doubt......

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Desperately needing a vacation and only dreaming about a spa I browsed through a magazine and saw an ad for Elysian. Curious as it was so close to my home 2 hours away, I inquired as to services on email and also called after shoveling through the giant snowstorm in the midwest of 2011. Though in my eyes it was a very expensive price for a massage, my husband had a day off and I encouraged us to go for it! We have had massages here and there for about 25 years and could give and take them as they were only okay. I knew in my heart I had never had a really good one and I had high hopes (really last hopes) for Elysian. Within 10 minutes of our arrival, I donned a luxurious robe and slippers, had a moment to explore an amazing eucalyptus steam room before entering a room to wait for my time. (I returned later) There was a lovely station of nuts and dried fruits in a beautiful tower of spoons with water spiked with orange slices. There were 3 women lounging together after their massages when I arrived in the elegant waiting room. We easily got talking-the Elysian experience does that to you! They have taken trips to spas for 15 years once a year as a girl trip and were amazed at the quality of massage they had just received. Then I got called and what I received in terms of deep tissue massage was nothing short of amazing. After my neck and back, I was thinking incredulously 'there's more!?! Loved the darkened room, quietness, no talking, sensitivity to my thoughts on pressure. wonderful heated towels covering my body in comfort. I received a massage I have only dreamed about in 25 years. Could barely walk out of the room but my massage therapist met me with a beautiful glass of water with orange. I fell into a beautiful chair with fruit and nuts in my lap and felt like a queen with not a care in the world. This kind of massage has stayed with me and I feel like it has provided healing to my soul.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Lenox, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

We came here for my husband's birthday for an extended weekend. The hotel is beautiful and has an excellent location - two minute walk from the Hancock tower, in the middle of the shopping area, yet not a noisy place at all, at least on a March weekend. The rooms are spacious and new, with beautiful marble bathrooms, spacious soaking tubs and glass showers. We stayed at a Gold Coast Suite for $500 a night which included brunch/breakfast every morning for two at their really nice restaurant and a bottle of champagne delivered to the room. Truthfully, we could have been fine with just a room vs. a suite, there was only the two of us and we never used the living room or the balcony. (I think the price for that with the same package would have been in 300s). Having learned it's my husband's birthday, they sent us a complementary chocolate birthday cake to the room. We ate at Balsan, which has the best, most creative and delicious brunch cocktail list ever. It turns into a trendy cool (but not noisy or crowded) bistro/bar at night, their bar selections and creations are superb and they make EVERYTHING in house, like jams, nutella, drink mixes, as well as serve great cured meat and crudo plates which they will cut and arrange right behind the bar which is a show in itself. We got a couple of massages at the spa which were great and the spa is relaxing and very nice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

This is indeed a lovelly hotel. The service is fantastic, the decor is amazing and the rooms are spotless. My only gripe is the bar on the first floor lacks any atmosphere. Whilst the service was great - the bar is like an after thought - very small and dark - I therefore chose to have a drink elsewhere. There is a bar in the restaurant - but it is a part of the restaurant.

Also, room service menu is very limited after 11.00pm. A simple request for a burger was met with "we can't do that as it is after 11.00pm"

All being said - it is a great hotel - if it gets room service sorted out - it would be even better.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Westchester, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

We celebrated our 15th anniversary with a weekend in an Executive Suite. I was developing a terrible cold when we arrived, but the easy check-in, the champagne split the manager sent to our room and the cozy warmth of the fireplace helped keep the cold at bay. Although we couldn't enjoy the many facilities and services we had planned to, the location of the hotel made walking a simple exercise, even for somebody well under the weather. About the only amenity I could have wished for, however, was an in-room coffee maker, just to get me on my feet. There was simple coffee in the lobby and all kinds of stuff in the fridge, but if I had felt better, we would have picked up a cup and carb at one of the nearby patisseries to carry back to the suite. Lack of eye-openers notwithstanding, I would recommend this hotel to anyone, whether visiting the city for leisure or business travel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

This is an outstanding hotel with a great location. From check in to a big hello every time they see you the staff is impeccably trained and make a guest feel valued and right at home. Rooms are large,well-appointed and have working fireplaces. The Spa is first rate.
I can't say enough about this hotel. This is our new home in Chicago.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business