“Very good experience, but lackluster, pricey food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alhambra Palace Restaurant

Alhambra Palace Restaurant
1240 W Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60607-1604 (West Town)
312-666-9555
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Late Night
Neighborhood: West Town
Chicago, Illinois
“Very good experience, but lackluster, pricey food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

It was a Friday evening out with a group of my 18 co-workers and we had a great time. We arrived around 7:00 and I was a little amazed to see so few people inside such a huge place (someone told me this used to be an opera theater). However, around 8:30-9 p.m. the place was jumping. For the experience, alone, I gave Alhambra an excellent rating. For the food, however, the rating went down a notch. We ordered two $50 appetizer sampling plates and then our own entrees. On the advise of our waitress, I ordered the chicken schwarma. Mistake #1. One other person ordered this, sent it back, and received an order of lamb chops (which she enjoyed) while I picked at my overblown bready concoction with a puny amount of tasteless chicken which set me back a good $22. I was full and it was way after my usual dinner time, so I declined to send this dish back to the kitchen. Some of our group had good results with the filet and lamb dishes, while others just picked at their sometimes quite unusual looking meals. However, the drinks were strong and overall good. Now for the show: yes, like other reviewers say, it is a bit cheesy. But, the dancers were good; the place was huge and had a theatrical quality - balcony and all; and the singers were also very good. So, yes, I enjoyed it very much. What I really liked were the hookahs that the waitstaff brought to each table...nice touch. I would probably return for the experience but get a lamb or filet dish next time. One tip: they tend to overcook the meats, so ask for medium-rare if you wish a more medium cook.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“All Money Isn't Good Money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Greed is what's degrading our economy and nation!!! Businesses are always looking for a dollar regardless of what negative impact there is to their customers and potential business. Why does Alhambra Valet want to reserve all the free parking on the block; even the business on the corner that they don't own?? Their greed for one $10 lost them future business. I'll never patronize them ever again; not a drink or entree. Rude is rude.
They asked me to walk across the street in my high heels on broken pavement!!! No respect for women!

Austin, Texas
“great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Food was good, decor was excellent. Atmosphere was excellent, It is a palace and not to be missed in Chicago.

Visited May 2014
Pensacola, Florida
“Very Disappointed.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We went there for lunch with friends during the week. The food was cold and obviously not fresh especially the salads. The presentation of the food was sloppy. Don't go to this place if you are looking for a good authentic meal!!

“Bad experience, bad food...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We were looking for authentic Arabic flare, we found this but we didn't check the reviews in trip advisor before deciding to go here.
They have a belly dancing show that is downright cheesy, same goes for the decor of the place.
Food was dry and tasteless.
They charge 20% gratuity and you have to consume at least $38 per person.
We could have avoided if we had read the reviews.
We wasted a night out in Chicago going to this place...
The only good thing was the service we had from our waitress.