“Yes this hotel IS ALL THAT !” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park and Chill Savings
Ranked #38 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Freeport, Illinois
“Yes this hotel IS ALL THAT !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

You can believe the hype when it comes to this hotel. Modern, clean, friendly staff, good food and the little details that made this place all that.
My husband and I stayed for my 40th birthday. We were greeted at curb side by the valet. It was pouring out and they walked me to the door under their umbrella, very nice touch. We received our warm cookies at check in.Waiting in our room were chocolate covered strawberries, champagne and a "happy birthday " note. Very sweet !! We ordered room service that night. Very tastey food and very reasonable price. The next day we had lunch at State+Lake. We enjoyed it so much that we had dinner there too. Would recommend stopping in to grab a bite there any time of the day. They do make the best pancakes. * Note if you are planning on going to the ROOF (lounge+bar) stop at the front desk. On Friday and Saturday night you must get a wrist band and be escorted up on the elevator. You feel VIP treatment. Also worth it. We had no issues with check out the next day or any issues with valet. We will stay here again and I will recommend this hotel to all our friends.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
The reviews this past quarter have all been insightful and exciting for theWit team to read. We actually take great interest and pride in reading each report in weekly staff meetings and in departmental briefings. All compliments about theWit experience are shared, and suggestions for improvements are reviewed and acted upon as well.

As we fast approach our second Wit Anniversary, we look back on the guest experiences at theWit, cibo matto, State and Lake, ROOF, SCREEN, Phoenix Lounge and the Spa@theWit and celebrate the overwhelming recognition and interest by such a wide variety of folks. Likewise, we keep a board of continuous improvements and suggestions for enhancements to the overall experience.

Thank you, for your feedback.

-Mark Shouger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Crete, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

I have read other reviews. Some fabulous, some good and some pretty bad. Our experience for our 20th wedding anniversary was lovely. We booked the bed and breakfast package online. It was pricey, but we wanted a nice place. The location is truly great. We had a request for an upgrade for a certain price and it was granted. So we had a suite. It was nice. A living room with big screen TV and nice decor. However, I will say the furniture seemed a little cheap, like it came from IKEA or something. The kitchen was equipped with dining necessities, but only a microwave, toaster and coffee maker. (They used "MIghty Leaf Tea", which is one of my favorite tea that comes in bags). It was quiet (we were on the 23rd floor, right above the EL and it was only a dull noise in the city, I can imagine it would be loud if you were lower down. I thought the bed and bedding was lovely but my husband said it was too soft. And it really is a stupid sink in the bathroom, even though it looks cool. My husband enjoyed the robe, and there were lots of towels and more than the usual amenities. Very limited cable on TV, in my opinion. No Bravo, no HI, no lots of things. No rentable videos on TV. DIdn't mess with mini-bar when we finally found it in the bedroom. Weird. Young staff, very friendly. We called for an extra blanket and got it in less than 5 minutes. I swear. Pricey valet parking..but for Chicago, not too bad. Both my husband and I were bothered by panhandlers when we stepped for a smoke. I truly try to be sympathetic, but it really got annoying after awhile. Four people one time and 3 the next. We had breakfast at State and Lake. Meh. I ordered the Irish Cut Oatmeal. It was NOT good. I sent it back after I tasted it. The waiter hadn't even left our table yet. We were charged for it. Our B&B was an extra $98.00, Our tab at breakfast came to $30.00 (plus tip). So they made well over $60.00 on that deal. How stupid was that. Also, that was for a bagel, some bacon, tea, coffee, a "sunrise quesadilla" with beans and potatoes for $30.00. Oh yes, and oatmeal. Valet parking attendants were nice and efficient. So was all the staff. The cookies were a nice touch (and they were good). All in all. I liked the hotel, but would not spend the money again. I would, if it wasn't for the complete rip-off of the breakfast part. DO NOT BOOK THAT PACKAGE. It is cheaper to stay over night and eat there in the morning. Also, the little card they gave me for the breakfast part said we could only spend up to $20.00 a person, so it's not like we could have gone and drank ourselves silly on Bloody Marys or something. Not that we would. I would definitely go back if not for that. Don't get me wrong. It is cute, trendy (but cheap trendy, I think) and we had a lovely night, but that breakfast thing left me with a bad taste in my mouth,,,literally and figuratively. I forgot one thing. When I read my bill, it didn't come up to as much as was charged from my account (or is pending). I called them and they said they always charge $50.00 for incidentals and that the amount set to go through would be adjusted. I guess I have to wait and see. It isn't a $50.00 difference,,,it's more. I will wait and see.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Loved the Wit! Very stylish hotel, great location just one block from the river and steps from the train (but not noisy). We were celebrating our one-year anniversary and they upgraded to a suite on the 26th floor, complete with a bottle of champagne (thanks, Wit). I liked the little touch of bird sounds in the hallway (that change into cricket sounds at night). Large, luxurious suite with fun, modern decor. I always love the beds at Doubletree and can't rave enough about the bathroom--huge spa tub and steam shower. The Roof Bar was a fun, sexy scene and we loved the DJ. We dined at State & Lake for breakfast and if we hadn't been going out, I would have loved to stay for another meal--the food was fantastic! Good recommendation from our server on the Mediterranean frittata. And all for $145/night. I wouldn't even bother looking elsewhere in Chicago.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Stayed 2 nights for a family trip with 3 teenagers and a 7 year old. They arranged adjoining rooms and allowed an early check-in. Front desk was welcoming, enthusiastic, and energetic. I called for an extra blanket and within 5 minutes it was there, still warm from the dryer (comfy!) Housekeeping came late at night to change the entire bedding when one of my kids got sick and were very pleasant and sympathetic. Concierge very approachable and helpful with just general information. Every phone call to the desk, etc. was answered politely and pleasantly.
Liked:
Great location -- walked to theater, jazz club, restaurants easily
Staff act like they enjoy their jobs
Excellent service from housekeeping, concierge, front desk
Exceptionally clean rooms
Fitness area very attractive and nice
Disliked:
Having to pay for valet parking ($46 per night--ouch) even though it's common in downtown Chicago
No free internet (again, common but ridiculous when cheap motel chains offer it free)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Schaumburg, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

After a long day, I needed to check in. Carlos quickly handled everything. I also needed help with printing materials for a client. Bryan cheerfully handled it for me, double-checking that I had exactly what I needed. I appreciate their help!
Nelle, February 23, 2011

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Our overall stay was great. The rooms are nice and clean, staff is friendly, the breakfast at State and Lake was really good! My only complaint is that our bathroom was always cold!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

We had such a great time at this hotel we didn't even need to leave. We tried all the restaurants & absolutely LOVED the roof top. We got really lucky & it was a beautiful night when we went. The gym is nice & the hotel staff were very personable & provided us with great customer service. We travel a lot & my girls still say this was their favorite place. A definite must!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!