“Excellent Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Missouri
“Excellent Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

The staff was friendly and extremely helpful! In fact I went on my Honeymoon and they gave me a room upgrade PLUS on little sleep when I first got there they were cleaning my room and made my husband and me their priority. The beds were comfortable. The hotel is in a fabulous location. Great walking distance to restaurants, shopping, sites, plus a bus tour is right outside the door and it's right next to the L so you have great public transportation.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

You are right down in the heart of Chicago, just off the Chicago River, within walking distance of Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave) and about 4 miles (at most) from Navy Pier. You are surrounded by culture, shopping, restaurants, and views. The hotel has it's own restaurants and even a night club on the top floor. The rooms are very Modern. One of the prettiest hotels I've stayed at in Chicago, and rooms aren't terribly expensive. I would definitely go back.

Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed at the Wit over Christmas, and were very happy with the hotel, its services and staff.

We had a Spa Suite on the 24th floor which was immaculately clean, had loads of space (important for a 5 night stay), felt warm and inviting, and had lovely city views. The decor was not my style, but I can appreciate the aesthetic they have gone for and think they did a nice job. The televisions were fabulous (2 huge flatscreens), although I do agree with a previous reviewer that it is a shame they don't have pay per view. We don't have a tv in our bedroom at home, and it is always a treat for us to wake up and watch a movie in a super comfy bed while staying at a hotel.

The staff were fantastic - the lady (girl) at the check in counter was incredibly helpful and friendly, and we loved the heated cookies on arrival. The coupon for a free bottle of wine at Cibo Matto was also great, although we didn't use it during our stay. The concierge was wonderful on Christmas Eve in helping us find a good deep pan pizza joint - even going so far as to call all his favorites to make sure they were open given the date (as it turned out only one was open, and it was great). Even the service staff were exceptionally friendly, chatting to us in the lifts and overall making us feel very welcome.

The hotel is in a fabulous location as it is right in the theatre district, while still easy walking distance (3 blocks) to Miracle Mile. We didn't use public transport on this occasion, but it was very near by.

We used the spa (we each had a massage), which was lovely, but I have had nicer experiences elsewhere for comparable rates. We thought that the services of the spa were very limited - no steam room, sauna, spa etc - considering the pricing. The gym was amazing, although on this occasion we didn't use it.

As far as cons go - yes, you can hear the El, but on the 24th floor it isn't loud enough to keep you awake or to wake you up. The basin in the bathroom sucks (poor design by Kohler), but I don't really think this is a deal breaker. On one occasion (out of at least 20) we smelt a somewhat chemical odor in the lifts (nothing in the lobby as noted by previous reviewers), but this is fine with me as I know that the housekeeping are doing a good job keeping the place clean.

There were two things that could be improved upon - the mattress had roll-together and wasn't as comfortable as I had hoped, and there was no towel rail in the bathroom which meant we have to hang the towels over the bath or shower door to prevent them being changed every day.

Becuase it was FREEZING we didn't get a chance to visit the roof top bar, but we will be back in May and look forward to checking it out then. We will definitely stay at The Wit during any future trips to Chicago.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Travelling with my wife, the #1 priority for her in a hotel is cleanliness, & the Wit is THE cleanest hotel we have ever stayed at. It does help that the hotel is only about 1 year old.

If you love new, ultra modern decor, then this hotel is defnly for you. We booked the Spa room & got a lovely SouthWest facing corner suite, with enormous windows. The bathroom was immaculate & the giant tub & windows in the bathroom were awesome.

I do agree with the previous review that you can definitely hear the Lake St train at least from our 15th floor. We are not very light sleepers so it didn't bother us. Also, I agree that the valet does take quite a while to bring your car up.

Nonetheless, overall we were extremely pleased with our choice of hotel & its great location...One other nicety about the hotel was the helpful front desk lady. We had originally booked 2 nites @ the Wit & planned to leave on New Year's eve. Upon arrival, we decided we also wanted to stay New Year's eve, but didnt' want to change rooms. Originally, our Spa room was fully booked for that night, but she was able to check during our stay & found a way for us to stay in our same room on New Year's eve.

Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

I have stayed in many Chicago hotels, and I was looking forward to trying the Wit, especially based upon media write-ups and Tripadvisor reviews. The location is excellent, especially for theater patrons, and the overall ambiance of the hotel is one of sophistication. However, I was less impressed with the room and with the sleep experience. Although this is a relatively new hotel, there was a crack in the sick, the shower drained slowly, and the sound of the El was not in any way diminished by soundproof. Yes, I know that staying in the city guarantees noise -- but I've stayed at other hotels near the El without sensing that a train was going to arrive in my bedroom in 1 minute.
The concierge was completely unfamiliar with restaurants involving a very popular cuisine type, and the valet took forever to deliver our car.
I stayed at this hotel on a reduced rate, and I'm glad, because while it was a basically decent stay, I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't want to pay full price. Obviously, if you are going to the theatre in Chicago, it would be an ideal location, but I had the general feeling that I could have done better with another establishment.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Kempton, Aus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights with husband, 3 adult children and 2 partners. The hotel offered spacious rooms and excellent value for money especially when you consider how much you pay for a hotel in London. (which we did a couple of weeks ago)
We had a drink in the bar on the 27th floor, great views. Last night we had a special family dinner in the excellent restaurant Cibomatto. When we checked in, we were given a complimentary bottle of wine voucher if dining in the restaurant. We used it and got 3 bottles of wine. Excellent offer. The food was stunning and service equally so.
This hotel is a short taxi ride from Union Station and not far from Millenium Park.
Chicago is a beautiful city and I look forward to returning during the warmer season so I can take advantage of the architectural boat tours which unfortunately don't operate at this time of year.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Porter County IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Spent two nights at the Witt for some shopping and meeting friends. We took the train from Indiana, the hotel is about a five minute walk from the station. The location of the hotel is a plus for shopping it is within walking distance to Water Tower Place and Macy's.

The hotel is very nicely decorated, the rooms seemed to be a little small but very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay at the Witt and would return for another stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!