“First Class, Vegas Style Property in Chicago” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park and Chill Savings
Ranked #38 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Midwest
“First Class, Vegas Style Property in Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I've seen some negative reviews of this place and was tempted to change my reservations for a 3 night stay in Chicago. I considered the Westin, but as a Hilton die-hard, I let it ride and hoped for the best.

This place is immaculate. I was upgraded to a corner spa room. It had a separate glass-enclosed shower and a deep soaking tub. Others had commented it was to "chic" for their taste, but I can't see how anyone would think that unless their accustomed to Motel 6.

The multimedia was fantastic. The desk was connected to the entertainment center and they had connections which allowed you to hook up anything with S-Video and play it on the TV. The room was spacious, ultra-clean, and highly comfortable bed.

People complained about the noise, and granted, you do get "some" street noise such as sirens, etc, but this is a downtown hotel, so in my opinion that is to be expected. The bottom line is I did not find the noise level to be distracting. Others complained about the birds, owls, soundtrack they play lightly in the hallways. I absolutely could not hear this at all from inside the room. It was very light and subtle even when in the hallways. The hallways were spotless.

The lobby was busy, but I never had to wait much for anything. I arrived at 1pm, 2 hours before check-in time, and that was not an issue. They had a room available and it was the upgraded room as well.

The loop train is literally on the same corner as the hotel. You can go from the lobby to the platform in probably 30 seconds (less if your're skinny and make it an issue to maximize time.)

I only had breakfast at their restaurant, State and Main, but it was one of the best experiences in a DoubleTree I have ever had. You can tell it is operated by real chef's, not just a line cook. As a diamond member, I received breakfast coupons which was worth $17 at the restaurant. This more then easily covered breakfast.

The room air-conditioning was perfect, the maids were extremely nice and proficient.

Very close to anything you want to do. Had hot dogs at a number of places, deep dish at Lou Manati's (Geno's is fairly close - 20 min walk.) Harry Carry's is just 2 blocks away behind the Westin. If I come back to Chicago, this is easily the place I would stay.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, July 18, 2010
We are thrilled to see such a glowing review from a seasoned traveler and TripAdvisor contributor- yet not surprised. Our ownership group, architect and designers gave us a phenomenal platform from which to operate- in a great location in one of the greatest cities in the world.

Our team takes our responsibility to truly provide More Experience Than Hotel, for each and every guest we have the pleasure of hosting, seriously (and not so seriously when a WIT moment arises).

Our team always looks forward to repeat guests as well.

-Mark Shouger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

My husband and I recently returned from a pleasure trip to Chicago. We found the hotel appearance to be very hip and chic and upper class, but the little things throughout made it feel much less classy. These things have been noted by others, but the charge of $10/day for internet was harped on by my husband EVERY single time he turned on the laptop. If it had been baked into the room rate, I'm sure I would not have heard about it, but the fact that he had to agree to the charges when he logged on served to irritate him anew each time. Although the furnishings were very modern, the throw at the end of the bed was stained, The hair dryer was falling apart. The sink (as has been the topic of others' reviews) is, indeed, entirely impractical (imagine spitting a mouthful of toothpaste and then having to work to get the water to come 8-10" towards you (with a 1" lip on the edge of the sink) without getting splashed. Also, the shower controls force you to reach across the shower to turn it on, soaking you and getting water into the bathroom each time. The concierge staff could not have been less enthusiastic or helpful. Not even a decent map of the city or suggestions. And, we had significant hallway noise.

Now, there is a definite "cool" factor and that made certain parts of the stay fun (piped in nature noises that changed from birds chirping and roosters crowing to crickets depending on the time of day/night). And, the location is right in The Loop and can't be beat. We flew into Midway and the orange line brought us, literally, to the door - so no need for a rental car, just a pass for the L and cabs if need be. Easy walk to the shows, Millenium Park, Chicago Art Institute, etc. Great views of the skyline. Do try for a higher level floor to avoid street/L noise. Roof bar is also phenomenal for people watching. It really is a shame that they don't have a pool (a real benefit for the summer time) and that there screening room doesn't show more movies to hotel guests.

Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Used to live down the street. So when we went back for the weekend, We knew right where we wanted to stay. Awesome staff. Great bar up on roof. Free passes to roof and skip lines if hotel guest, a big plus. Rooms were great. Right by red and brown/ orange line trains and short walk to state street shops / mich ave and millennia park. Can't wait to stay again soon!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

After reading others reviews of The Wit, I was really excited to stay here for our one year wedding anniversary. In the end, the hotel was fine, but I was not really wowed and left feeling a little disappointed with our experience. We stayed in a Riverview Spa Room. The room was nice, but I am not sure what exactly was "Spa" about it. There was a big tub, yes, but if you wanted any Spa amenities for the tub, such as bubbles, etc. you had to pay for them (starting at $25!). I called the morning of our stay to let the hotel know that this was our first anniversary and that it was a special stay. I spoke with the concierge who offered nothing special and only told me that I could buy a bottle of champagne for $35.00. While this seemed sort of lack luster, I went ahead of got the champagne asking that it please be set up in the room when we arrived as a nice surprise for my husband. He agreed and though I did not feel confident that this would happen, I had hoped that it would be a nice arrival for us. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by a very nice associate at the front desk. She checked us in promptly and we went up to our room with cookies in hand. When we got in the room, I noticed the nice decor, and that there was a really nice view...but something was missing. No champagne. Disappointed, I told my husband what I had planned and I decided to call downstairs to see what happened. When I told the concierge (a different person than I spoke to in the morning) she just said she would send it up. I told her that I wanted to cancel the bottle because the point was to be a surprise and something special. She said she'd take it off the bill and that was that. No offer of anything to make up for it, just that they'd take it off my bill. So we walked down to the wine shop down the street and bought our own bottle to toast with. As for the rest of the stay, I wouldn't say it was anything to rave about. It rained at night so we didn't really get to enjoy the roof top portion of the top floor bar. Later in the evening I approached the front desk to ask where we could get desert and the girl at the desk was texting on her phone, which I find a bit of a turn off. If you are going to use your phone, you should probably not be holding it up for everyone to see--especially when approached by a guest. She was nice but wasn't very knowledgeable about where we could go. She didn't have a menu for the rooftop bar but said we should have one in our room--which we didn't. Like I said, she was nice, but just not what I expect from hotel staff at an almost $300 a night hotel stay. We did have desert in the State and Lake restaurant and our waitress was very nice and that was a positive experience. I guess I would just say it was an overall average experience. Not terrible, but nothing great. Other than the decor I wouldn't really say it stands out as a place to stay. I don't think the room is worth the cost you pay for it and I think there are probably better hotels in the area with more experienced staff for the same cost. And I was very disappointed with the lack of care given to the fact that it was a special stay for our wedding anniversary.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
Thank you for a very detailed review which will certainly be shared with all team
members. We would have hoped that your anniversary weekend would have been welcomed with
the typical personalized attention and genuine service which theWit has become known for
since opening our doors in 2009. My sincere apologies that we may have missed that mark.
Your points are well taken regarding- not only meeting, but exceeding expectations for
special occasions as well as local getaways and for business travel.

Please reach out to me, personally, if we may have the opportunity to host you again so
that we may make amends for this visit and have the opportunity to show you the best of
theWit experience. Our contact information is readily available at our Wit Hotel web
site.

Sincerely, thank you again for your valued feedback- and for selecting theWit for your
Chicago experience.

-Mark Shouger
Woodridge, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We loved our stay at the hotel. The location was perfect. The staff was beyond friendly and helpful. The hotel was so clean and down to every detail it was really unique. We loved the Roof top lounge and the Yoga studio/fitness center was really great. It was my husbands birthday and they even surprised us with champagne and chocolate coverered strawberries. We've stayed many times downtown and this is now our favorite.

Warren, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

When entering the lobby area off of State St you're greeted by a modern tasteful lobby area with plenty of pumped in vanilly lavender scent. I agree with a previous reviewer that the scent is quite strong and could be dialed back just a bit. The lobby area is smaller but very tasteful. There is a bar and restaurant located just off the lobby area.

I was assigned a room on the 9th floor. The elevators were spotless and quick. A valid keycard was required for guest room floor access.

The hallways were very nice. Brand new stylish carpeting, spotlessly clean walls and door and pumped in music at night with cricket and toad sounds included (sounds tacky but was actually very cool).

The room was also very nice. A touchscreen phone which gave instant access to things like room service, concierge and wake up calls. The flat screen tv was very nice in size and had actual HD programming. The bathroom was also very updated and stylish with very neat faucets and a bathroom sink like no other one i've ever seen before.

The high speed internet access (which i had to purchase due to my VZ Card not being useful from the 9th floor) was very fast but absurdly priced. This HAS to be some kind of record. My high speed internet total for one day was a wallet busting $21.

Overall i thoughly enjoyed my stay at the Wit and I definately recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We spend a few weekends in Chicago a year and, upon hearing all of the buzz about theWit, we decided to give it a try. Overall, this was an impressive stay, and the property has a lot going for it. That said, it's not a hotel designed to appeal to every type of guest, so choose carefully. Generic does not describe theWit!

The property has great design. It's modern, but NOT in an understated way -- theWit screams its design from every surface: loud prints, bright colors, funky elements, bird sounds in the hallways, showy in-room technology. It wants its design to get noticed. That didn't bother me, as I liked most of the design choices and was able to see humor in those things I didn't love, but it's not for everyone. Overall, the design of this hotel is in itself an experience, and that makes for a fun visit.

The name of the hotel is fitting -- there's witty stuff, from choosing which Second City actor you want to make your wake-up call (and setting it on a touch-screen phone in your room) to little "gifts" that are put on your bed every day. We got a Slinky one night; one of those jar-opener pads another night; and, to celebrate July 4th, an American flag on the third night. Upon check-in to our room, we also had a nice handwritten note from the hotel's general manager and some homemade lollipops that were not only fun, but delicious!

The room had some spectacular elements. Thanks to my Hilton HHonors status, we were graciously upgraded to a "spa king" on a high floor. It featured a deep-soaking spa tub and separate shower and, most impressively, floor-to-ceiling windows (including in the bathroom!) that offered a corner view that was almost 180 degrees. We could see the lakefront, State Street, and Lake Street. It was gorgeous -- very urban, very chic -- the perfect room for an urban weekend getaway.

As impressive as the room was, there were some things I didn't love. Most importantly, the bed. For a hotel that's fantastic in so many ways, the bed was a real disappointment -- we found it uncomfortable. The bedding was very basic and not very soft. I've stayed in other DoubleTrees with much more comfortable beds. While the floor-to-ceiling windows offered incredible views, they made temperature control in the room a challenge, and throughout our stay the room was often too warm for our comfort (admittedly, it unseasonably hot in Chicago, so this would not be an issue during most times of the year). Lastly, the in-room entertainment. Although the system itself is very impressive with its various capabilities, you had to buy the $14.95 package before seeing what movies were available, and the list of movies was less impressive/interesting collection than I've seen at many other hotels with far less showy (and less expensive!) technology. [The good news is that the system includes a DVD player -- so, if you want to relax in your room and watch a movie after a long day of exploring Chicago, bring your own DVD.] While the other elements on the system, such as arcade games, were fun in concept, the controls were hard to use. All in all, though, with the possible exception of the bed, the room's funky design and spectacular views made up for these issues.

Service-wise, the hotel was a mixed bag. While at the hotel, service was prompt and very polite; my check-in experience was particularly good. The staff seemed knowledgeable about the local area. Other properties in Chicago have had more nuanced and personalized concierge service, but the concierge staff answered general questions well. The only service misfire was that my partner had contacted the hotel in advance to ask them to work with a florist to place flowers in the room. The concierge was not on duty at the time my partner made the request, but the clerk promised the request would be forwarded to the concierge and taken care of for arrival. No flowers ever got added to the room. While my partner's credit card never got charged, this was a promise unfulfilled, and no follow-up by the hotel staff was ever conducted.

The hotel is VERY busy -- bustling lobby and, thanks to the rooftop bar, VERY busy elevators. The sort of elevators where you stop at every floor on the way down to pick up more people and wait for a long time to arrive at your floor. That got old by the 3rd night.

The rooftop bar is its own story. It is clearly a very popular destination -- and not just for tourists, but for locals. From a pure design standpoint, the rooftop space is spectacular -- amazing views, cool modern design, a great mix of indoor and outdoor seating. It really does look as good as the website portrays. The scene, however, is quite a different story. While it was (very) clearly for some, it was NOT for us: on Friday and Saturday night, the hotel has velvet ropes out in the lobby, a bouncer, and a long line down the street of people waiting to get in (hotel guests can cut the line, but have to get special passes from the front desk to do so). I just find that velvet rope kind of experience annoying -- I hate places that can't get over themselves...after standing in roped-off lines at the airport, why would you want to do it at a bar? The music was VERY LOUD (as in, had to shout to be heard by the person right next to you loud) hip-hop, the waitstaff was dressed in almost nothing and more interested in making sure you noticed they were wearing almost nothing than actually serving you something, the cocktails were extremely expensive, and the crowd...well, let's just say there were a lot of enhanced body parts, micro-minis, Ed Hardy shirts, etc. I found the vibe of the space disappointing: what could have been a very cool bar with a loungy, low-key, urban-sophisticated feel was in essence turned into a trashy Vegas nightclub. Blech.

So, all in all, an experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton? Share your experiences!