“Service and Style Were Central” 5 of 5 stars
Review of theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton

You added theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton to your Saves list
theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Earn 2X HHonors Points
Ranked #53 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cleveland
“Service and Style Were Central”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

I spent a wonderful winter weekend in Chicago sightseeing and visiting a friend. Every day, I was bustling around town and it was nice to head back to the hotel from time to time to relax.
I loved coming back to such a modern building and room. The lobby was so chic and cool, the hallways were filled with nature sounds, and the rooms were so posh. I would grab some Wolfgang Puck tea and coffee (in the room cabinet), open the windows (they actually open) and just listen to the rustle of the city 17 floors below.
The bed was a cloud. The shower was enourmous. The three restaurants were just fabulous. (Even if you aren't going to eat or drink, visit the Roof restaurant for a quick city view)
On my last day in Chicago, I wanted to shop for the whole day. The concierge showed my how to get to Michigan Avenue (a VERY quick walk) and where a few other popular shops were located. I would never have found those other stores if it weren't for him. Also, they held my luggage for the whole day after I checked out - a huge plus when your flight doesn't leave until later in the evening.
My only critic of the whole experience was the television. The digital cable that the hotel subscribes to requires me to hit six numbers just to watch HBO, but oh well.
Book your room early for a discounted rate and enjoy this hotel, its location, and the beautiful city of Chicago.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Really great hotel. Excellent rooms with lots of attention to detail. The bed was also really huge and very comfortable. The hotel has fun restaurants and the staff are very friendly.

I liked the boutique hotel feel, lots of charm too. Great business facilities makes this a recommended hotel for Chicago ( for business or pleasure).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

I cannot even express how happy I was with my stay here. The rooms were extremely clean, the location great and the staff was fantastic. I have found through my travels most of the time staff at hotels are pretty good but there is usually one person I deal with per trip who is rude, lazy, etc. Everyone at the Wit was awesome! The room service people were particularly friendly. My food came within 15 minutes on a busy Saturday night, the delivery person was extremely polite and they told me when I was done to call them and let them know how it was and that they would pick up my plates immediately (which they did). The bellmen outside were also extremely helpful. There is nothing like good service and I couldn't be more happy with my stay!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Great decor, very modern/urban. The beds were great, lots of fluffy pillows. Touchscreen phones where you could just touch the screen to get your car brought up. Chirping birds and waterfall sounds in the hallways during the day and then at night it changes to crickets and soothing night sounds - I could've slept in the hallway, it was very relaxing. Check out the spectacular city views from the very chic ROOF lounge. There are mini-fire pits on the tables. I didn't get to eat at Cibomatto - italian restaurant in the hotel - but I heard from others who have dined there that it is amazing.

The staff was very friendly. We were always greeted by the bellmen when we were coming or going. The housekeepers in the hallway would always look up and say hi or good morning.

Awesome Stay!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

I had a reservation booked at the Residence Inn on Dearborn. As I was browsing online, I saw a link to The Wit. I was hooked once I visited their website! I'm attracted to new hotels with a cool vibe....not to mentioned designed well. The Wit fits the bill! We found a special online so we snagged a pretty good rate.

The overall service was great throughout our stay. The front desk staff was able to offer us an early check in (by 4 hrs). Plus they offered us warm cookies upon arrival. During my last night I noticed that my shampoo/conditioner weren't restocked. I called housekeeping and 5 minutes later they delivered me a basket LOADED with goodies.....deodorant, lotion, hair products, sewing kit, etc. Totally exceeded my expectations.

We also got a chance to check out the Roof. I've heard a lot of good things. Apparently it gets pretty hoppin in the summertime! The views, layout and vibe were fabulous. Drinks prices were what you'd expect for a hotel bar (albeit much less than crazy NY prices). Having lived in Chicago for a while, the Roof is a much needed sleek downtown bar with great cocktails. It takes it up a notch without being pretentious. If I still worked down the block, I would totally go there for an afterwork cocktail.

The other great thing was the yoga room in the gym! I was actually in town for a fitness event, so it was a given that I'd have a mini practice at some point. The room had a bunch of mats, a few props, light switch dimmer, good mirrors and a wall jack for your iPod. Again...just taking it to the next level.

State & Lake is a great downtown location. It's near ALL of the trains, plus a ton of buses. Also, State St. is becoming more a shopping destination so The Wit is really well positioned. Argo Tea, one of my fav coffee/tea shops, is nearby along with a bunch of other places to go grab a quick bite.

And finally, the rooms were very spacious and comfortable. The cable service rocked....not to mention the radio/docking station. It seems like they all offer a good view. They really make it easy for you to enjoy your time in the room.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Concord, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

We stayed at the Wit, and it was really a lovely expereience. Check-in was a snap, and David at the front desk was very pleasant. A big plus with me. Upon our arrival at our room, we found a carmel apple with chocolate shavings which unbelievably delish! The decor was modern, very clean, shockingly enough, actually had a window that opened on the 20th floor. The room was a bit small, but not surprising given it's a down-town hotel. Beds and bedding were cozy and comfortable. Of course the room had the usual incidentals, fridge with overpriced goodies. Again, not surprising.

We had breakfast in the restaurant both mornings, and the service and food were very good. The rooftop bar definitely is trendy and has is very much geared towards the younger crowd. The Wit is in a great location -- 10 minute walk to shopping along the Mile. Cabs can easily be grabbed outside the hotel.

As far as value - we wanted something special for our friend's birthday. We did indeed get that at the Wit. I think you do have to be prepared to pay a little bit more than usual. Many costly incidentials, but the customer service is downright superior to any hotel I have stayed. Will definitely return!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

Thank you Li of Concierge for treating us well as Diamond HHonors members, we appreciated being upgraded to a 1 bdrm suite on upper floor for our special occasion. The decor is very sleak and elegant, although the bathroom's 1" deep large square sink with little counter space were a poor choice by theWit's designer, very unfuntional. We needed some coffee packets and cream, they were brought up very quickly after calling.

Later at night, we were uncomfortable with the single's somewhat pickup feeling of groups of people waiting in the lobby and elevator area to go up to the Roof bar. Upon returning from our evening out to play and dinner, it was a bit of weaving our way through these groups, even having to ask if we could get into our elevator. Maybe we are just not hip enough for this scene, LOL, but don't think a hotel should have a nightclub feeling (unless you are in Les Vegas).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
Thank you. We are thrilled wth the constant feedback on theWit experience. I, personally, appreciate when stars on our team are recognized for their excellence in service.

We certainly carefully review each and every comment provided.

Our committment is to make every guest's visit enjoyable and comfortable. The ease of access for hotel guests is of primary importance. To that end we continue to assess ways in which to please at every touchpoint from the arrival experience to the elevators to the restaurants, SCREEN and theSpa @theWit- and to improve upon any noted delays.

Thank you, again, for your feedback.

-Mark Shouger